SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 27, 2012, 11:21 PM
"Fly, yes... Land, No"
United States, CA, Santa Cruz
Joined May 2005
1,329 Posts
Discussion
Wind Fighter, Good planes for windy days

Just like the topic says, what are some good planes for windy days? Where I live the only real place to fly is an old air strip that has been abandoned. The property itself is more or less in limbo with the county as far as development goes.

The main problem I have been having there with my Funbat is that the area is long and narrow, so when I turn to go back I am either going into or with the wind. As I start to go with the wind the plane goes from good lift, to now fighting inertia to gain speed, and stay in the air. You can see the plane almost stall out for a second as it gets smacked in the butt by the wind.

So I am wondering if there is a good design that works well with wind, or anything I can do to try and improve my flying in wind situation. Im not quite ready to open the throttle to full power just yet, partially due to my lack of experiance flying (I've been here for 7 years, but only this last year have I done more then just dabble and start to get serious) and my crappy old glasses leaving me nearly blind (I'm poor, perscription glasses are $$$$)

I've been toying with a design in my head for the last couple weeks, of making a twin boom, pusher. 30" wing. Something like the funbat but as a twin-boom pusher. Perhaps with a bit of dihedral in the wing also.

May 29, 2012

Added plans for my "Wind Fighter" design.

Comparable motors to what im running:
C2222 Micro brushless Outrunner 2850kv

ESC:
TURNIGY Plush 12amp (2A BEC) BESC

Servos:
HXT500 (one on each alleron)
HXT900 (elevator)

Battery:
Rhino 750mAh 3S 11.1v 20C Lipoly Pack
OutcastZeroOne is offline Find More Posts by OutcastZeroOne
Last edited by OutcastZeroOne; Jan 08, 2013 at 02:48 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 28, 2012, 07:10 AM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
13,411 Posts
I would go for a symmetrical wing section with plenty of power, and still keep the weight down.

Some may say add weight, (when I see birds carrying a house brick so they can fly on a windy day, I will show an interest ).

Most of the problems with flying in windy conditions are caused by the pilot. They keep relating the planes flying and speed to their own fixed position. The plane doesn't know it is windy, as far as it its concerned it is just flying in normal air, (but in a block of air that happens to be moving relative to the ground).

The symmetrical section will be less inclined to appear to zoom from the pilots static view point when turning. The power is there purely for penetration. The lightness is there to aid penetration, and help reduce the downwind ground speed. It also helps when a gust slamps the plane onto the runway on landing, (less mass to dissipate).
eflightray is offline Find More Posts by eflightray
Old Apr 28, 2012, 07:27 AM
Build straight - Fly twisty
Australia, QLD, Little Mountain
Joined Feb 2010
4,309 Posts
Any model plane can fly well in any (reasonable) wind speed.
Seems outrageous? Consider this.
You are up in a hot air balloon and the wind is blowing quite hard. The balloon is ripping along at 99.9% of the wind speed (as they do)
Standing in the basket it feels just like the wind is non existent, so you could launch even a little indoor model and fly it around the balloon with no more problem then if the balloon was stationary in a flat calm.
To fly in a wind you must try to imagine the plane flying in this moving envelope of air. Turns will look strange, and speed down-wind must never be confused with air-speed. What looks like a normal decent down-wind can be an almost stalled steep fall through the air.
If you were in the balloon you would instantly see this. Standing on the ground you can easily be fooled.
In my youth I flew free-flight tow line launched gliders. In contests we often flew in pretty high winds. The planes were trimmed to fly in circles, and I never ever saw any of them have trouble with their up-wind or down-wind turns. This is because they had no pilot to screw them up.
Of course severe turbulence close to objects on the ground will chuck the plane around, but that's a different situation.

(Posted before I read the excellent reply above)
Whiskers is online now Find More Posts by Whiskers
Last edited by Whiskers; Apr 28, 2012 at 08:08 AM.
Old Apr 28, 2012, 07:54 AM
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
United States, LA, New Orleans
Joined Jul 2002
24,132 Posts
True all that !!! ^
On windy days a Blu Albacorde (Search) or A-12 wing , USAF UFO works just fine for us ... Thing is to use a clean (non draggy) airframe and have Lots of spare power...
gpw is offline Find More Posts by gpw
Old Apr 28, 2012, 08:25 AM
Old age is not for sissies
Dayton Intl, Ohio, United States
Joined Jan 2000
7,926 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eflightray View Post

Some may say add weight, (when I see birds carrying a house brick so they can fly on a windy day, I will show an interest ).
LOL, Almost lost my coffee on that one.

Azarr
Azarr is offline Find More Posts by Azarr
Old Apr 28, 2012, 07:37 PM
Winter Haven FL
Joined Dec 2003
508 Posts
My favorite plane on windy days is the Funder & Lightening

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ghlight=funder

If you bust it up it is very easy to rebuild or build a new one
Byrdman is offline Find More Posts by Byrdman
Old Apr 28, 2012, 11:00 PM
Livermore, CA
Joined Sep 2004
8,582 Posts
I live in a windy area, 14-16mph, gusting to around 20mph. Calm days are few, about 6-8mph. I tend to fly in smaller areas that are closer. I've built or modded several dozen planes to fly better in the wind and in smaller areas.

What I've found is that a Flying Wing is about the best, but they don't slow down to well and they are a bit pitch sensitive.
Also, a symmetrical airfoil is better, extra power is a must, larger props supply the thrust need to get you out of trouble, oversized control surfaces help in the gusts, ailerons for more control, EPP foam and pusher props help with the landings and wing sweep adds a dihederal effect without the negative problems.

So I built several Boomers, which is a FlyingWing with a partial fuselage and twin booms added. A 6ozs, 31" Boomer, with a 1300kv, 24g outrunner on a 2 cell will fly in 20mph winds easily.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=586942

I also recently built a EPP ToonJet. 23" wing, 10g outrunner, 340mah 2 cell, two 6g servos, with a flying weight of 3ozs.
Swept wing, symmetrical airfoil and profile fuselage.
I had it up in 12mph winds, gusting to 16mph with no problems at all and it could probably handle 20mph winds as well.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...hlight=toonjet
Butch777 is offline Find More Posts by Butch777
Old Apr 29, 2012, 09:21 PM
"Fly, yes... Land, No"
Joined May 2005
1,329 Posts
I know how windy Livermore gets. I used to work off of Airport Blvd right along side 580 near the airfield, more by the Mcdonalds over there. Was working at a small electronics company with my Mom about 9 years ago.

I see what I can come up with for my area. I get a lot of the coast wind. So far most of my planes have had Kf wings. Id rather not do a flying wing since I think I may have too many issues with figuring out what side is up
Old Apr 30, 2012, 02:48 AM
Livermore, CA
Joined Sep 2004
8,582 Posts
I picked up a Hacker EPP SuperZoom and year ago or so, and built it as a parkflyer.
It ended up being a real nice windy day flyer.
I built it light, with a 24g outrunner, flying weight is 10.5ozs with a 39" wing.
With 14ozs of thrust, it hand launches vertical. With the symmetrical mid wing and large control surfaces, it handles 20mph, gusty winds with no problems.
Plus it lands slow enough to catch!
Butch777 is offline Find More Posts by Butch777
Old Apr 30, 2012, 03:04 AM
Foam Av8r
In Teh Garage (Rossville, GA. USA)
Joined Sep 2008
3,351 Posts
coroplast mig 7 is a good wind flyer, very popular with the slope pilots and a cheap build. ya it is a bit on the porky side but not as heavy as a bird carrying a brick
RogueTitan is offline Find More Posts by RogueTitan
Old Apr 30, 2012, 11:32 AM
"Fly, yes... Land, No"
Joined May 2005
1,329 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueTitan View Post
coroplast mig 7 is a good wind flyer, very popular with the slope pilots and a cheap build. ya it is a bit on the porky side but not as heavy as a bird carrying a brick
what about a Swallow carreing a coconut?
Old Apr 30, 2012, 12:31 PM
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
United States, LA, New Orleans
Joined Jul 2002
24,132 Posts
Is it an English swallow ???
gpw is offline Find More Posts by gpw
Old May 21, 2012, 01:57 PM
"Fly, yes... Land, No"
Joined May 2005
1,329 Posts
OZO WindFighter

So heres what ive been working on. hope to test it out soon but not keeping my hopes up. had a hard time building it and think something got messed up durring the build. glide tests end with a swift nose dive.

Kf4 wing, pusher twin boom set up. CG is about 1,5 " back (about 1/4 back of LE)
27.5" wingspan, 1/8" x 3/8" oak spar (very scary to cut that thin on table saw @_@ )
2900kv motor with 6x4 prop. can run either my 2c or 3c 800mah packs.
2 HTX500, and 1 HTX900 servos for controls.

will let you guys know how long it was in the air befor it crashed, though it may not be more then a second. I think the battery may be pulling the leading edge of the wing down and twisting the center area of the wing like a canard and pulling it down. Next version I make will have a second spar at the leading edge to the booms to help keep that section strait.
Old May 21, 2012, 02:36 PM
When pigs fly rc
USA, NY, Chester
Joined Apr 2008
2,478 Posts
looks nice!!
rcrich is offline Find More Posts by rcrich
Old May 21, 2012, 05:01 PM
"Fly, yes... Land, No"
Joined May 2005
1,329 Posts
it flew great!!! very sedate, easy flyer. Compared to the funbat this thing flys so smooth and easily. Very stable even in the gusty wind at the field. Did a few passes around the field befor i tried doing a loop a few feet too close to the ground >_< If only they hadn't cut the grass, it would have survived. just the nose came off, so no major damage. Think I may undersling the fuse a bit more when I remake it.

The funbat im always on my toes, trying to anticipate the next move, and reacts a bit faster to the controls then I am able to keep up with at times, funbat is fun, but a bit on the edge of my control level

I will try to get some plans up for you guys of this thing. So far, I really like this thing.