HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 03, 2012, 08:29 PM
For us He died, in me He lives
United States, MI, Saint Clair Shores
Joined Dec 2008
5,112 Posts
Yeah, the Blazy Bee on growth pills would be awesome no doubt.

Since my build time is quite non existant I will concentrate on getting the indoor flyers I have geared back up. Check all my 900 2s Mysteries to see how many I have left that are any good and just try to be as prepared as possible for an indoor gig. I really do not have the time to devote to a full out build so I am not going to try to get a bomb dropper ready. I know I won't have it rdy in time.

What I do need to do tho is to get a solid pilot and plane count. A couple folks who spoke of interest in the SEMFF thread a while back have yet to post over here so I am still not sure how strong we will be for the actual candy drop.

With Scott, Mike and myself that gives us 2 pilots and 1 spotter. Scott, since you offered to build a candy dropper and have a more skilled pilot fly it then as it stands right now I would say you would be spotter and Mike and I pilots. I will fly what you build.
But that's tentative at this point. We'll give it a few more days before I cut you loose on a specific build. I want to see exactly what we will have and need.

Stay tuned...
Jimmy JFlyer is offline Find More Posts by Jimmy JFlyer
to remove ads between posts
Old May 09, 2012, 09:37 PM
United States, MI, Warren
Joined Aug 2011
641 Posts
HI Jimmy Hope everything is going fine for you and your family.Have you anything new to report?You said in earlier posts you work at a collision shop i think?So do i been doing it for about 25 years now,on and off.Just went back to work since I cant get my hip surgery yetPretty busy shop so they could use me.Anyway after work I get a few build hours and I'm making the Blazy Bee short wing now.Always wanted one anyway.I mentioned the candy drop to my DAD,he likes tinkering with stuff to keep him busy in his retirement and he's like a KID again.So I'll most likely be building something to do this no matter what.

You are more than welcome to fly whatever I build then and anytime for that matter.As for being the spotter I dont know I have a real hard time walking lately.Pretty much why I fly in front of house-easy to get repair stuff.I will be seeking your advice,Anyone's advice for the build.

Hopefully others wish to participate if the plan is still on.Let me know.Perhaps we could find time for YOU to maiden it a bit in advance of the day.

Good Day to All.
Scott
maurice076 is online now Find More Posts by maurice076
Old May 09, 2012, 10:00 PM
Joined Dec 2008
5,112 Posts
Thanks for posting Scott!
Yes, plan is still on. I am sending out pm's to those who expressed interest as we are now only a month and a week away.

As for plan specifics we haven't gotten there yet. I plan on getting actual commitments from whomever can make it and once that happens, a plane count then a Saturday or Sunday afternoon meet over there to look it all over and let the pilots decide together if a seperate spotter at the drop point or a plane wrangler at the runway is needed. The VBS planner has already given me the green light for the area I intended on using that I showcased in the vids so now it's just a matter of getting pilots to commit.
If you want to pilot too that's great also.
Either way, thanks so much for your help!

Have a blessed night!
jimmy
Old May 10, 2012, 09:31 PM
Joined Aug 2011
641 Posts
Thats good news then.I'll hopefully finish this Blazy Bee by Sunday.I ordered some epp from rcfoam to try out too.When my DTF runs out I'll try the MPF also.Getting tired of the WAVES already.
I was hoping Mike would give out some info on his hopper system,like how much he can jettison per fill up.and total aircraft weight loaded and unloaded rtf.
I can do some testing on this Bee after I get it flying.If the battery went on a shelf above the servos that would leave a lot of space for a filled cavity under the cg.
So how much to drop at a time hmm...anyway keep us posted.
Old May 13, 2012, 01:53 PM
Joined Aug 2011
641 Posts
Well I finished the 26.5 inch w/s Blazy Bee last night and what do you know-light winds today Flies like a dream.I started with 430 mah 2s,now using 850 mah and no big difference.My nephew came over and I let him try it(0 experience),showed him how to fly it and he did o.k.Except the down is up thing.I'll put in a few hours enjoying it then add weight under the cg too see when it starts degrading performance to much.

I'm still wondering how much should be packed in there.I got 2 pounds of tootsie rolls to not eat right away for testing.Well minus 20ish pieces anyway
Old May 13, 2012, 10:15 PM
Joined Dec 2008
5,112 Posts
LOL!!! Ah I love Tootsie Rolls!

I will be talking to Mike, Tim and I think John was game too. I want to see what planes they intend on using which will give me an idea of the loads that will be carried.
Old May 29, 2012, 09:57 PM
Joined Dec 2008
5,112 Posts
So just a few weeks away. I recently took on a larger role than expected at Church and have had ZERO free time for building/planning so nothing has really progressed. But it's all good.

I will send PM's to those that have said they would build and be a pilot to try and get comittments for the weekend prior to meet at the church for a dry run to make sure all is good with the planes and the space provided. I am still going to gear up a couple floaters for indoor if the winds are too high. And also at least 1 plane that can take the breeze for at least a fly by or 2. Probably my Mini Blu51 and maybe my 80%BA. Both use my 1811 2s set up but can split a breeze pretty good.

So for those that are involved and are 'scribed, heads up, lets get together either Fri, Sat or Sun evening about the same time we will fly so like 6 ish.
That's June 15, 16 & 17. Any of those nights that the most peeps can make it.
If you can't make it that is fine too.

Now as I said, I have been quite pre-occupied with other things and have not had the time to stay in touch with anyone for planning and what-not so this may be a bust for the actual candy drop. That's OK too. I know we are all busy.
Mike, aka Springer is gtg I know but that is only 1 plane with the hopper. Which by itself could possibly be sufficient.
We'll see.

Stay tuned...

jimmy
Old May 29, 2012, 10:22 PM
Joined Aug 2011
641 Posts
Hi Jimmy I am about halfway on that 1.5 Bee,I made it wider more like 2.0 and built a cavity in it.3 inches in front and 3 inches behind cg.Before I went North for a mini vaca I flew it.It handled just like my 1.0 Bee(easy to fly)That was empty though.I have to paint a rc dragster for my dad then finish the Big Bee.I think it will hold a pound of tootsie rollsI have a small latch from prop shop to hook to a servo for bombay door release,just have to build it.
Old May 30, 2012, 06:41 AM
Slipping the Surly Bonds
Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
10,394 Posts
Scott,
Glad to see you tackling this. I have been too busy to do it justice. Should be really cool!

Ken
dz1sfb is offline Find More Posts by dz1sfb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Mini H Quad Project
Old May 30, 2012, 12:55 PM
Joined Dec 2008
5,112 Posts
Hey Scott, great work. Can't wait to see your Bee. I need to get to Prop Shop too. Probably one day this week at lunch. Need some batt connectors for my esc's for the planes I am gearing up for this. That and some easy connectors for the control rods. I just don't like doing z bends and v curves for adjustments anymore.
Old May 31, 2012, 08:22 PM
Joined Aug 2011
641 Posts
Hi guys just putting in a few minutes on this tonight and was wondering what are these ez connectors u are using?A certain brand?I hate having to try and bend the z and slip-sorry foam.I seen some hanging on the wall there and havn't bothered to get them.Oh yeah the cavity is actually 4 inches each side,I think I said 3.

Took my little Bee camping on the Ausable for the holiday and man it flew great everybody there loved it.Took it over the water for unlimited room and flew all 5 days.I think the bigger one will do great.Thanks again Ken for your plans.I'll post some more fuzzy pics after a little more progress.
Old Jun 03, 2012, 09:01 PM
Joined Dec 2008
5,112 Posts
time to hook up...

OK folks, I would like to try for a dry run fly thru at the church with all pilots to just go over the layout we have and get everyone on the same page.
I was thinking the weekend right before the actual drop date in the interest of giving builders extra time to finish. Or if folks prefer, we can try this weekend tho Sunday evening for me is shot due to a grad party.

Which brings us to the hardest part...
I know this is that time of the year for grad parties, vacations, camping, events and all the other coo coo fun things we all are involved in and that everyone is probably quite busy. If you can not do it that is totally understood.
I sent pm's to the pilots that haven't posted. I won't bother sending you one Scott as I know you have watched this thread.

So either Fri, Sat or Sun evening about the same time as the drop will be. Thats the 15th, 16th and 17th.

And if it is too windy that night to fly, we can still all check it out and get a feel for the layout and just get it all planned out, maybe over a coffee or some grub.

I plan on bringing a couple planes that can handle a breeze for demo flying if it's too windy to safely do a candy drop and a couple floaters for indoor flying as well.
Mike had a good idea of at least a static display on tables too just showing off our RC cheapo awesome hobby.

So that's the latest plan. I hope we are all able to get together.
TTFN
jimmy
Old Jun 10, 2012, 08:18 PM
Joined Aug 2011
641 Posts
Hi All,I havn't seen much activity about this lately and wanted to let you know besides some time with the airbrush this bee is about done.I just took it out empty,in a breeze it is a handfull.but I had two great landings.I want to try it filled up but my street is filling up with cars.

I'll get it painted this week and finished up.I'm thinking about getting a large 2s pack and longer prop.right now its 3s1000 and gws 8060(I'm not happy with it).I can hit prop shop during the week.Let me know and if you want to take it for the weekend it's all yours.

Scott
Old Jun 14, 2012, 10:52 PM
Joined Aug 2011
641 Posts
I know times running out on this but I have the paint done.At least it will lead to some fun dropping stuff.Hmm drop the dog some treats to get her to like airplanes...Picked up a 2s pack and sf10x4.7,but i'm thinking 11".
Old Jun 15, 2012, 08:11 AM
Joined Dec 2008
5,112 Posts
Times running out alright. During all this we have had a bit of a forced decision to look for a rental home and found one and are now gearing up to move. This amoung countless other things. I tried to rally pilots for a dry run on Saturday and now I won't even be able to commit. Lost John as a pilot and I haven't heard from the other. Right now the only confirmed good drop plane is Springers bucket system and for 150 or more kids that will nto cut the mustard.
I believe I am going to have to make the decision to turn the candy drop into just a fun fly demo. I just do not have the time to make it all happen on my own with regards to planning. So we will "wing" it (pun intended) and just fly for fun and put on a show while the kids are doing their thing.

Scott, I do thank you tho for your passion for helping with this and I can't wait to see your plane up close and even fly it!

Now refresh my memory, were you actually able to phisically be there Thur night?