HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 27, 2012, 06:15 PM
For us He died, in me He lives
United States, MI, Saint Clair Shores
Joined Dec 2008
5,119 Posts
Yippee!
SEMFF 2012 VBS bomb/candy drop for kids…

So I am just posting this thread for my SEMFF bro’s and myself to have another place to do some planning and such for the upcoming VBS at my Church, Crosspointe Christian Church in Grosse Pointe Woods MI.

As many of you fellow foamy freaks probably know, the SEMFF thread is always quite active and I don’t want to bombard that already very busy thread with a bunch of content and plus it will be nice to have an area that we are just talking about the VBS candy drop we are planning.

Plus as an added bonus it also allows others to peek in at what we are doing.

For those that don’t know, VBS stands for Vacation Bible School. A large majority of churches across the states do VBS in the summer during summer break. It is a great week long summer camp for kids filled with games, activities and most importantly, helping kids grow in their knowledge of God and our Savior Jesus Christ.

Then add to that they always have a theme each year and once I saw it was aviation this year, well you can imagine the idea’s that started cranking!

There will be a family fun night and that is when we will do the candy drop.

So that’s enough for the intro and on to the planning.

So SEMFF bro’s here it is in a nutshell…

June 21st which is Thursday night either just before or after dinner that will be served.
21336 Mack Ave
Grosse Pointe Woods, MI 48236 (originally posted this and forgot to add the address)
http://www.crosspointechristianchurch.org/
So based on that, our window will be somewhere between 6:00 and 8:00 pm.
Based on last year’s numbers, we are looking at about 150 kids.
We will probably do 3 main drops as this will allow us to separate the kids into the 3 main age groups to eliminate big 5th graders trampling itty bitties for candy. Maybe just 2 main drops based on attendance and other factors.
So I would say that we should just be prepared to be able to do 3 main drops and that way we know we will be covered.

I will post 4 vids below that show the layout of the area we will have to fly in to give everyone an idea of what we have to work with regarding runway, needed alt and drop area. These vids were posted with a Flip which is not the best so 2 vids got quite dark due to the sun light shining towards me at dusk. This was taken just before walking into the Monday night Bible Doctrine study. Systematic Theology rocks! Lol had to plug the class. Oh and the reason for the maniacal laughter at the end of the vid that shows the little Saturn 4 door, that was because that was our Youth Pastor, Pastor Jason who was trying so hard to not be in the vid and I was all too happy to make him a star!

Now since I have zero experience with drops you guys might look at it and say no-go, not big enough, and if so that is OK. So let me know.
If it is a go, I would suggest we take a Saturday afternoon to meet out there for specific planning and trial runs with planes.

So without going much further, first things first…
Whoever can and wants to help with this, please post so we can get an accurate head count and plane count and let the exact planning start from there.

To all who can help, I thank you in advance and God Bless!

V 1 (0 min 58 sec)

V 2 (1 min 33 sec)

the next 2 vids arenot the greatest due to direct sunlight and the photog (yours truly)not knowing any better.
V 3 (0 min 36 sec)

V 4 (0 min 39 sec)
Jimmy JFlyer is offline Find More Posts by Jimmy JFlyer
Last edited by Jimmy JFlyer; Apr 30, 2012 at 09:39 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 28, 2012, 03:41 AM
Germany, BW, Neuffen
Joined Sep 2011
87 Posts
Quote:
...in their knowledge of God and our Savior Jesus Christ.
Well, this forum is 'bout foamies or spreading religious fanaticism?

Just the 2 cents from a confessing ignosticist.
mysticranger is offline Find More Posts by mysticranger
Last edited by mysticranger; Apr 28, 2012 at 03:54 AM.
Old Apr 28, 2012, 04:07 AM
My plans are in my blog
Kotzebue, Alaska
Joined May 2006
5,416 Posts
Mysticranger... Its about foamies, being used to drop candy to kids at a Christian summer camp.
You're certainly welcome to do a thread about dropping candy to non-Christian kids if you like.
Rusty-Gunn is offline Find More Posts by Rusty-Gunn
Old Apr 28, 2012, 05:59 AM
Joined Dec 2008
5,119 Posts
LOL Rusty. You know, I wondered whether or not someone would take a poke at that comment. Well, at least that's out of the way. I'm sure there's more to come. Though I hope not. But this thread will not be about even discussing that but planning on how we might show kids a good time dropping candy on their excited little heads.

Most of the SEMFF bro's are pretty busy through the weekend and most action happens during the week in the forums for us.
I just want to get the head count going so we can start talking which planes will be used. Of course The Twins has been mentioned by a few of them and Mike, aka Springer has a good "bucket" system for use with candy drops.

We'll see what the weekend brings.
Old Apr 28, 2012, 11:48 AM
United States, MI, Warren
Joined Aug 2011
642 Posts
I think it's a GREAT idea Jimmy,never met a person that wasn't intrigued about our hobby.Now using our planes to get a crowd all excited at a memorable event like this Priceless.I myself went to summer camps,schools,encampments and the like as a (younger kid) and something like this would have been AWESOME.
I believe you have what it takes to make the event a success for all.Me on the other hand-lack the skill and confidence in piloting abilities to be safe above people's heads
So on to the planning+building,I'll be watching the great ideas emerge.Best Wishes to ALL.

Scott
maurice076 is offline Find More Posts by maurice076
Old Apr 28, 2012, 12:22 PM
Joined Dec 2008
5,119 Posts
Hey Thx for the kind words and vote of confidence Scott.

As for planning and building, I only wish I started this earlier. A month and a half goes by in the blink of an eye these days.

Personally I may not have enough free time to build something such as "The Twins" cargo plane. My free time is almost nill between 2 young kids, wife and I working full time and our commitments to the Church. But some of the other SEMFFers mentioned builds may get underway. So we'll see.
Old Apr 28, 2012, 01:50 PM
Germany, BW, Neuffen
Joined Sep 2011
87 Posts
Well, it's a great idea.
And there's nothing wrong about that idea or being christian.
I am myself. (not that motivated though)

Just was wondering about the emphasis you put in your intro was necessary or not.

Anyway i like the idea and will follow with interest.
mysticranger is offline Find More Posts by mysticranger
Old Apr 28, 2012, 02:36 PM
Joined Dec 2008
5,119 Posts
Well MR, I appreciate your interest in what we intend on doing with foamies and the kids and I also respect your your position on "The Great Debate".

And we'll just leave it at that. By all means, any advice or idea's regarding what foamies we will use and how we'll use them is more than appreciated.

I know there is a thread that started up a short time ago regarding parachute drops and I will try to link it here when I get a moment to search for it. My 20 month old just announced he is up. Time to go!
Old Apr 29, 2012, 06:22 AM
Slipping the Surly Bonds
Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
10,560 Posts
Jimmy,
Sounds like a fun project. I am personally involved in VBS as well.

Here is a thought. The runway area looks like more than adequate space. Though as a pilot you would want to be very near the drop zone so as to deliver in the correct area and not on top of cars or past the intended area or any other place other than where you want it. The wind is usually from the west, but will probably not be a factor at that time of day, and if it is then it could be quite turbulent around all those trees and what is blowing around the church building.

So the upshot of all this is that your pilot(s) will need to be at the east end of the drop zone and have a clear line of sight into the parking lot takeoff area. Actually if they are able to takeoff in an easterly direction, then that would be optimal.

I think a giant Blazy Bee would be a great craft for this kind of mission. Maybe even a multi engine job. Something in the 8 ft. wingspan area would be cool, with multiple drop bays. I like the Bee's wide chord wing for low speed high lift.

I think Mike's Blu-Baby was carrying about a pound of candy in his drop hopper.

Not promising anything, but it is kind of an inspiring project.

Ken
dz1sfb is offline Find More Posts by dz1sfb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Mini H Quad Project
Old Apr 29, 2012, 01:42 PM
Joined Dec 2008
5,119 Posts
Thx for chiming in Ken.
You bring up very good points. I was already thinking about the concept of having people at both ends, the start of the runway and at the drop point and a cheap pair of walky talkies.

1. a pilot could be at the runway and have a spotter at the drop point.
2. the other way around. The pilot could be at the drop point (affording him the best view of his ownplane) and just someone at the beginning of the runway to make sure the plane is set and going where we want.

For multiple planes we could just use one person at the runway to keep them all lined up and ready.

Which brings up the first main question...

who all will be available as a pilot ... 2nd question, what planes will be used.
A big honker such as an 8' Blazy Bee could obviously handle the work of a couple smaller planes and get that needed slow flight.

As for wind, plain and simple, if it's windy we are a no go. Maybe just do demo's of little planes inside.
For this reason, none of the children will know we are planning this. It is not on the agenda just incase the wind shuts us down. The planners for VBS know and it's myself who will arrange it all but they know to not tell the kids incase it's blowing. We will plan like it's a go and make any last minute decisions as needed.

We'll see who else chimes in this week. I need head counts and then commitments for anything that needs to be built for this.

Ken, that huge Blazy Bee sure sounds awesome.
Old May 01, 2012, 12:06 PM
Joe The Ripper
United States, MI, Washington
Joined Sep 2011
766 Posts
Jim, I think you shuld plan on it and let the kids know it's coming. Otherwise it may not fit nicely into the VBS's planned schedule with not enough time to do it properly. Also half the benefit is in the "draw" factor to get the kids excited about it. Just have a back-up plan for dispensing the candy in the event of heavy winds, which probably will not be that likely.
Regretable I have mentoring on Thursdays so I cannot attend.
fannonjk is offline Find More Posts by fannonjk
Old May 01, 2012, 02:23 PM
Joined Dec 2008
5,119 Posts
Thx for the input. Good points too. I will be speaking with them this weekend about it. I am also thinking I will have planes like my Nutball and PD51 rtf for indoor hoo hah's if it's too windy outside.

I would ask that anyone that will be able to help out bring anything that you may have for indoor flying for plan B.
Old May 01, 2012, 11:01 PM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
9,783 Posts
Jim: At this point I have no other committments, so I'll have the Blubaby for sure with hopper. If you want to do a static display I could bring some more, and perhaps some half sheeters for the indoor, though I seem to have issues with flying in gyms!
springer is online now Find More Posts by springer
RCG Plus Member
Old May 02, 2012, 05:57 AM
Joined Dec 2008
5,119 Posts
Thx for checking in Mike. Static display and half sheeters is a good idea. I'm bummed I don't have my J-Bug rtf atm. It needs work and I really do not have much time to commit to building. May try to revive him if I get enuf time this weekend. Could just strip the BA and gear him back up and try to keep the glue to a minimum. The fuse needs attn. I want to gear up the Street Fighter you gave me as I know I could have that thing floating high alpha inside no problem. Especially with those huge control surfaces. Any major flying inside will be either in the Ssnctuary or downstairs in the fellowship hall. Though I know I can keep my Nutball and PD51 going in just about any of the rooms.
Old May 03, 2012, 07:20 PM
United States, MI, Warren
Joined Aug 2011
642 Posts
Hi guys, GOOD idea for a backup plan.Wish we could predict weather farther in advance(vacation time).Just been reading the blazy bee thread last couple days,what a great slow flier.Also I went back to work for a while,need more rc funds.
Springer,do you have any pics,or sketches of your hopper system?I was thinking about something like bombay doors.Load it up,close doors,put in sliding pin hooked to a servo.

Good day to all
Scott
maurice076 is offline Find More Posts by maurice076