HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 27, 2012, 04:18 PM
KoOl BrEeZe
Joined Feb 2012
597 Posts
Discussion
Walkera get any better with time ?

I mostly fly war birds And a few large helis. So i have been out of the loop when it comes to walkera. A few years back I started with the "creata" *not a good intro heli* Remembering back I heard alot of people say walkera was nice to look at, But thats wher it ended. I'm curious if over the past few years walkera has improved their quality. Or has it remained the same ?
LiQuid*Xion is offline Find More Posts by LiQuid*Xion
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 27, 2012, 04:50 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,430 Posts
Their micro sized helis have certainly improved in durability. I don't think you will find enough people, willing to risk buying their larger models, to be able to form any sort of consensus regarding their larger models. They do make several very nice looking scale models, but I know of only one person who has bought one. That heli is currently waiting for parts for a broken landing skid.
Balr14 is online now Find More Posts by Balr14
Old Apr 27, 2012, 05:09 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2007
1,103 Posts
They're still knocking out crap in quick succession, but some of it is OK.

This is an observation I've made over the past 8 or 9 Months of buying them.
I've now moved to better things to spend good cash on.

I also base my opinion on a lot of literature I read in these and other message boards.

Here is a list of the Walkeras I have bought and my personal ratings;
Cb100 - Been reliable and a great starter (read lots before purchasing this)
4#6 Bell - also pretty good (also did extensive research before buying)
5g6 - no good without tinkering
Genius CP - Weak servos, poor landing gear, questionable electronics with poor soldering, beta model, short 5 min flights.. Pants IMO
3 X UFO 8- poor electronics, poor soldering, heavily affected by temp, weak rocker arms and blades.
V400d02 - good electronics, dismal servos, weak upper frame, weak lower frame, unpredictable motor

I haven't had any more than this and wont be getting any more.
Username> is offline Find More Posts by Username>
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Apr 27, 2012, 05:23 PM
KoOl BrEeZe
Joined Feb 2012
597 Posts
I was checking out ther v500 past couple days. And was wondering If they got this one rite. For the amount of money One would think so. I doubt I will buy. Just real curious if they made strides in their quality. I was a total heli noob when i picked up the creata. But even then remember thinking How low grade it was for $400 . Anybody have the v500 ?
Old Apr 28, 2012, 09:42 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2007
1,103 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiQuid*Xion View Post
I was checking out ther v500 past couple days. And was wondering If they got this one rite. For the amount of money One would think so. I doubt I will buy. Just real curious if they made strides in their quality. I was a total heli noob when i picked up the creata. But even then remember thinking How low grade it was for $400 . Anybody have the v500 ?
Hmm.., a 500 size from Walkera sounds a little too scary to me.

I have a V400d02 here that backflipped and missed my face by inches when I first tried to maiden hover it.

It wasn't user error either, as when I swapped out to MG servos I could hover a full pack and spool up on my first attempt.

The elevator servo was stripped right from the box.

By looking at the number of pages on this thread, it seems that the 500 is a flop.. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...hlight=v500d01
A bit of negative talk about the V500 from Helipal. They suggest to buy a Trex instead. Lol.
http://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=274147
Username> is offline Find More Posts by Username>
Last edited by Username>; Apr 28, 2012 at 09:51 AM.
Old Apr 28, 2012, 10:10 AM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,430 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Username> View Post
Hmm.., a 500 size from Walkera sounds a little too scary to me.
Exactly! I just bought a little Walkera Ladybird quad, which is very durable and lots of fun (so far). The W500 may be a good heli, but nobody is willing to take a chance, due to past reputation and it's much to expensive to attract the bargain hunters.
Old Apr 28, 2012, 11:40 AM
KoOl BrEeZe
Joined Feb 2012
597 Posts
Thanks for the links username .
Old Apr 28, 2012, 02:25 PM
United States, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Apr 2011
210 Posts
I had a V500D01 from June to January. It was my first 500 size heli and it worked fine. I got may flights in it but just did hovering and basic flight. Just like any other heli, just double check bolt tightness.

I sold it and all my other Walkera when I wanted to fund replacing 3GX with VBar on my Trexes. Also, I was really afraid of crashing it because, at the time, there were almost no vendors carrying replacement parts.

I think it's a great heli, but for the price, I probably would not get another one. Personally, for the money Blade and Walkera are asking for their RTF 500 helis, I'd get a Trex 500 and go the extra mile and get a local hobby shop build it for me (if I wanted a RTF).

Wow Hobbies just started carrying it for the DEVO TX:

http://www.wowhobbies.com/walkerav50...nnotxnoch.aspx

Walkera V500D01 3d flight at www.WowHobbies.com (1 min 52 sec)

HeliDirect has it also for $535 BNF for the 2801Pro TX:
http://helidirect.com/walkera-v500d0...nf-p-22368.hdx
Allan Gibbs is offline Find More Posts by Allan Gibbs
Last edited by Allan Gibbs; Apr 28, 2012 at 02:33 PM.
Old Apr 28, 2012, 03:31 PM
Suspended Account
Pittsburgh PA
Joined Dec 2004
2,365 Posts
from what i have gathered, Walkera has improved by leaps and bounds in the last couple years, however, their prices have skyrocketed so it is a push pull situation. I really want the 3 blade Lama but it is priced way high and seems like a risk for 500.00
Cable Guy is offline Find More Posts by Cable Guy
Old Apr 28, 2012, 08:12 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,430 Posts
I have a friend who bought one of those Lamas. It's a beauty. But, in typical Walkera fashion, the landing gear breaks way to easily. It's out of service waiting for aftermarket upgrades.
Old Apr 30, 2012, 05:23 AM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,143 Posts
I would say that most of the FPs are alright but their CPs were beyond their bandwidth until recently. I would only recommend the CPs: Genius CP, Mini CP and V120D02S. They seem to offer a big leap in durability and reliability over their previous CPs. You are taking a risk with their larger CPs
zadaw is online now Find More Posts by zadaw
Old Apr 30, 2012, 08:54 AM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Nov 2011
335 Posts
i think i am eligible to comment.... i started in november. first walkera being the v200d01 fp. no complaints.. shaft drive flybarless a dream and fast. however being fp did not handle breeze well. have owned m120d01 flew like a POS Now sold... UFLYs flew well for a FP only WITH the bell hiller mod. genius CP pathetic battery life bad design skids and did lack some punch (mcpx wins that comparison) . V120D02S best small walkera i have owned to date very durable and quite aerobatic currently own 2. did own a 4f200lm.LAMA very nice heli performed well awesome scale looks and too scared to break it so sold it. v200d03 still own this a nice cp 200 size heli flies well punchy have stocked up on spares as i will keep this one as i enjoy it and the quality looks really good. and i thinks thats my walkera story....
andione1983 is offline Find More Posts by andione1983
Old Apr 30, 2012, 08:57 AM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Nov 2011
335 Posts
i also must say i own the walkera transmitters 2801pro and devo8s. both very nice easy to operate 2801 nice lit screen yeah no complaints there
andione1983 is offline Find More Posts by andione1983
Old May 04, 2012, 04:05 AM
Joined Apr 2012
72 Posts
There are a lot of things I like about Walkera, I own several. I really like the devo radios and haven't had a problem with mine.

But...
The build quality is poor, at best.

The support is nonexistant

Received more than one doa / have had several problems surface during the first few flights that were traced to sloppy electronics assembly.

A lot of hastily implemented features and products rushed to market. Design flaws / incomplete or unfinished features, if corrected, will be corrected at the customer's expense.

Some shady / immoral business practices by walkera

Don't spend more than you'd be willing to lose in a bet, you just might be throwing it away. Just got a doa servo today, for 20 dollars. I won't even bother with wow/walkera as I know trying to get satisfaction is a waste of time. I'll open it up and fix it myself.

Buy only if you have some repair and soldering skills, you'll need them, I can't be the one who's getting all the duds. I have to assume these issues are walkera: business as usual
zzyzx is offline Find More Posts by zzyzx
Last edited by zzyzx; May 04, 2012 at 04:24 AM.