HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 27, 2012, 02:18 PM
Budapest, Hungary
Joined Mar 2005
278 Posts
Discussion
Flying Styro P47

Posted on stick and tissue forum, but probably more appropriate here. Had and old FS free flight kit and some unused Plantraco equipment. Motor is GWJ 7mm gearbox with Plantraco RX and mini-acts. KPaero prop looks great, but will probably need a GWS 5030 to fly it well. AUW w/90 mAh battery is 25 grams. Created the decals for the Dallas Blonde version.

Thanks for the prop, Tim.
PietenpolAC is offline Find More Posts by PietenpolAC
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 27, 2012, 02:29 PM
Electric Coolhunter
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jun 2000
14,217 Posts
A very nice model. I have one of these stashed back for eventual AR6400 conversion
Thomas B is offline Find More Posts by Thomas B
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2014 events and travel
Old Apr 27, 2012, 03:45 PM
Gravity is a harsh mistress.
United States, MI, Temperance
Joined Sep 2002
6,518 Posts
Sweet. Great job keeping the weight down. I have a couple of these in my stash myself.
Did I send you that prop? I never thought it would look that good.

The umx Spitfire will have a 4-blade prop that might get the job done:
http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...x-bnf-PKZU2180

Please post a flight report when it happens!
Tim Wolff is offline Find More Posts by Tim Wolff
Old Apr 28, 2012, 02:41 PM
's-Hertogenbosch, The Netherlands
Joined Apr 2006
1,419 Posts
Very nice plane. I have had my eye on it for a long time but I have been unable to locate a kit. If you know of an online store in europe who sells these, I would appreciate it if you told me.

Looking forward to a flight report.

Robert
Rotatorus is offline Find More Posts by Rotatorus
Old Apr 28, 2012, 08:51 PM
SlingWinger
San Bernardino, California, United States
Joined Oct 2004
1,623 Posts
I have a FS P-51D still in the box. I'm getting inspired to assemble it with my Playmate gear, gotta decide if I want rudder-elevator or aileron-elevator.
dayhead is offline Find More Posts by dayhead
Old Apr 29, 2012, 07:16 AM
Budapest, Hungary
Joined Mar 2005
278 Posts
Rotatorus,

I don't think Flying Styro produces the P47 anymore. It used to be on their website, but hasn't appeared there for quite some time. I bought mine directly from FS at OpenScale years ago.

Dayhead,

I've got to the P51, but it is built as a CO2 freeflight. If I was to do it now, I'd make it RC and definitely add ailerons. It flys freeflight fine with just rudder/elevator, but it would be more fun with ailerons in RC. I've still got a Corsair F4F in the box. I want to build it RC, but can't find the right motor, prop, battery combo yet. I really want to use the large three blade prop that came with it. Joe Malichak (sp?) built two versions years ago as RC with both CO2 and electric. He really liked how they flew, but the RC version only had about two minutes with the then current technology. I keep looking through the Hobby King site for a cheap, lightweight airborne system that will let me use a large three blade prop.

If anyone has any suggestions, I'd be very thankful for the input.

Bruce
PietenpolAC is offline Find More Posts by PietenpolAC
Old Apr 29, 2012, 11:21 AM
SlingWinger
San Bernardino, California, United States
Joined Oct 2004
1,623 Posts
I'm thinking of buying one of those Beast planes with the brushless motor, just to get the guts for my P-51. Seems like building a gearbox for the motor would allow use of the big 4 blade prop. Gotta get a new windshield for the Jeep first....
dayhead is offline Find More Posts by dayhead
Old Apr 29, 2012, 03:46 PM
's-Hertogenbosch, The Netherlands
Joined Apr 2006
1,419 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PietenpolAC View Post
... I keep looking through the Hobby King site for a cheap, lightweight airborne system that will let me use a large three blade prop.

If anyone has any suggestions, I'd be very thankful for the input.

Bruce
Hi Bruce,

The original prop probably is made for rubber band free flight. That would give much torque and will influence flight performance. I do not know the exact size of this plane but I think it is rather like the Alfa FW190D-9 I have. That has a 40 cm span and when I put a 3 blade GWS prop on it I noticed a tendency to go right. (EP-5030x3). It is driven by the 5g HK outrunner on the turnigy 6A bl esc. With the prop replaced by a GWS two blade prop (EP-5030) pull improved. Still have to remaiden the plane but I feel this bird is going to do well with the new setup. The rest of the setup is an Assan 4 channel receiver and 1x 3.4g servo (aileronas) and 2x 1g servo (rudder and elevator). I will fly with the turnigy nano tech 180 mAh 2s 25C lipo of which I replaced the original plug (balance kind) with a two pole plug (middle blue wire can be disconnected and the black and red are - and + poles of the battery). Flying weight of the plane with battery now is 74g.

Why do you want to keep the big 3 blade prop?

Is this setup something for you?

Robert
Rotatorus is offline Find More Posts by Rotatorus