Old Apr 27, 2012, 12:11 PM
Video Juggernaut
FL
Joined Nov 2003
2,637 Posts
Question
Salt air, over ocean flying.

Hi all,

I'm thinking about fly my quad with camera over the beach/ocean this hurricane season when the surf get s good. Will the salt air kill my electronics in flight? I remember flying a gas foamy at the beach and it went down, i think it was the salt air, not sure.

thanks,

Wing
Wingbreaker is offline Find More Posts by Wingbreaker
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 27, 2012, 12:51 PM
manual flying apologist
United States, CA, Fresno
Joined Mar 2011
6,944 Posts
i would doubt it..... now salt WATER.... no bueno....

since the water evaporates into the atmosphere and leaves the salt behind the only salt in the air will be from wind or off the surf... so that should be negligable for the short duration of you flying the multirotor.

cars rust after years of being near the ocean........ not days or even 1 year....

I have flown on the beach with out issue.... only for about 2 days
Adidas4275 is offline Find More Posts by Adidas4275
Old Apr 27, 2012, 01:09 PM
Video Juggernaut
FL
Joined Nov 2003
2,637 Posts
yeah I'm not worried about long time effects, just immediate. Florida has some really high salt content in the air near beach.
Old Apr 27, 2012, 01:16 PM
manual flying apologist
Joined Mar 2011
6,944 Posts
hopefully someone that lives near the coastline can chime in. but since the salt content in the air can only be from the surf and wind i cannot imaging it would cause electrical issues in a short time period.

otherwise radio, cars, boats and anything else that is electronic would short out.
Old Apr 27, 2012, 03:50 PM
Hawaii
Joined Feb 2003
5,952 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingbreaker View Post
yeah I'm not worried about long time effects, just immediate. Florida has some really high salt content in the air near beach.
Common sense takes place here. I will not fly into the salt spray of a breaking wave. Otherwise for a 10 minute flight you should have no problem. I fly over the ocean all the time.

20120204 Puna Coast (1 min 52 sec)

It really depends on the size of the wave.
SeismicCWave is offline Find More Posts by SeismicCWave
Old Apr 27, 2012, 03:51 PM
manual flying apologist
Joined Mar 2011
6,944 Posts
thanks SeismicCWave I should have thought of you with this thread.... being in Hawaii
Old Apr 27, 2012, 06:49 PM
Video Juggernaut
FL
Joined Nov 2003
2,637 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeismicCWave View Post
Common sense takes place here. I will not fly into the salt spray of a breaking wave. Otherwise for a 10 minute flight you should have no problem. I fly over the ocean all the time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtsAxfCQG4Q

It really depends on the size of the wave.
Nice what craft/camera is that?
Old Apr 27, 2012, 07:05 PM
Hawaii
Joined Feb 2003
5,952 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adidas4275 View Post
thanks SeismicCWave I should have thought of you with this thread.... being in Hawaii
I don't understand why people like to build along the ocean's edge. So most of my shoots are over water.
Old Apr 27, 2012, 07:06 PM
Hawaii
Joined Feb 2003
5,952 Posts
Quote:
Nice what craft/camera is that?
It was a plywood quad I made with 5/8" towel rack square tubes from Home Depot. It was the last day of my first Sony NEX 5N. I promptly destroyed it the next day in a lava field. I guess lava rocks are no better than salt water.

Here is another one:
Open Pilot Copter Control on the job (1 min 44 sec)
Old Apr 28, 2012, 05:35 AM
Video Juggernaut
FL
Joined Nov 2003
2,637 Posts
nice is that little reef point on your last turn out there a rideable surf break? What gimbal do you use?
Old Apr 28, 2012, 07:33 AM
AMA 112747
Neptune Beach FL USA
Joined Nov 2000
872 Posts
Windbreaker, I have been flying on the beach and over the ocean for 20 years. Never had a plane or copter go down do to salt or corrosion. You will be fine. Now when you go in the ocean its all over. Haven't put one in since '96.
I have plenty of vids of me over beach and ocean.
HabuNoWind (8 min 51 sec)

John
beachflyer is offline Find More Posts by beachflyer
Old Apr 28, 2012, 10:08 AM
Vermont
Joined Dec 2003
840 Posts
I brought my mid wing nitro plane to Nantucket and flew for a weeks right next to the ocean, was a lot of fun. I am building a 55" wing that I plan to take down to Maine to shoot my friends surfing. I am going to mount my servos and all electronic top side so I can land on the sand. Post pics when you go soot!!!
spacecase is offline Find More Posts by spacecase
Old Apr 28, 2012, 01:09 PM
Hawaii
Joined Feb 2003
5,952 Posts
Quote:
nice is that little reef point on your last turn out there a rideable surf break? What gimbal do you use?
That will depend on the tide, the board you use and how good you are.

Depends, I use anywhere from a manual tilt fixed gimbal to my own plywood two axis gimbal to askman's 2 axis gimbal.
Old Apr 29, 2012, 01:05 PM
Video Juggernaut
FL
Joined Nov 2003
2,637 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeismicCWave View Post
That will depend on the tide, the board you use and how good you are.

Depends, I use anywhere from a manual tilt fixed gimbal to my own plywood two axis gimbal to askman's 2 axis gimbal.
Looks like a beautiful spot. Do you live at that place? Well i was going to take my flame wheel out to the beach yesterday but the wind acted up. i get nervous just thinking about it.
Old Apr 29, 2012, 04:05 PM
Hawaii
Joined Feb 2003
5,952 Posts
Quote:
Looks like a beautiful spot. Do you live at that place? Well i was going to take my flame wheel out to the beach yesterday but the wind acted up. i get nervous just thinking about it.
No, I don't live by the ocean. Don't feel like evacuating every time there is a Tsunami warning.