SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 26, 2012, 11:48 PM
United States, FL, Titusville
Joined Dec 2011
118 Posts
Discussion
Newbie question Please..

Hi fellas, I usually run electic brushless but today I got a nitro in on a trade. Its a proboat formula. Where can I buy nitro from online, at a good price. I dont live close to any hobby shops. Also any other tips will really be helpful. Thanks and Happy Boating!
proboatronnie is offline Find More Posts by proboatronnie
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 27, 2012, 01:58 AM
.... But you can call me Dave
Medford, OR
Joined Nov 2010
268 Posts
Post some pics of the boat you're working with and it will help us help you. Tower Hobbies sells O'Donnell and GrimRacer fuel both at 30% and 50% nitro. I run 50% O'Donnell and it has treated me pretty well. I have never ran the GrimRacer fuel, so I can't give an opion. You can either buy 4 gallons or quarts individually, gallons will cost you a HAZMAT fee and quarts will nickel and dime ya. Take your pick....
DepthsofHell is offline Find More Posts by DepthsofHell
Old Apr 27, 2012, 07:06 PM
Joined Dec 2011
118 Posts
This is my boat 1/12 hydro nitro proboat, http://www.proboatmodels.com/Product...ProdID=PRB3200 It has a .18 marine engine. I dont know diddly about nitro yet, lol. It had 15% nitro fuel in it from the previous owner. He said he usually runs 20% car nitro. Thanks DAVE..
Old Apr 27, 2012, 07:25 PM
RC boat Rock Star
Kalamazoo, MI
Joined Apr 2004
2,951 Posts
Use fuel made for boats as it has a higher oil content. These little boats love the nitro also so running 45% or a little higher is possible with no problems.
Seeing how you haven't filled out your profile yet, they may be a fuel manufacturer closer to you that can save you a few bucks. O'Donnell fuel is good stuff, the shipping kills you one way or the other though. You pay through the nose for buying quarts and save the Haz-Mat fees or save money on the gallons but pay the Haz-Mat fee.
Ron Olson is offline Find More Posts by Ron Olson
Old Apr 27, 2012, 07:41 PM
Joined Dec 2011
118 Posts
hi, roy. How do you know if its for boats if you buy it online, like on ebay or tower hobbies, ect..Do they specify"? Sorry for the obvious newbie ??? Will it be faster too running 45% nitro? Will I have to retune the motor, the original owner said its tuned perfect right now? Thanks for you time and help, fellas.. Oh yeah I updated my profile a lil bit
Last edited by proboatronnie; Apr 27, 2012 at 07:51 PM.
Old Apr 27, 2012, 07:54 PM
RC boat Rock Star
Kalamazoo, MI
Joined Apr 2004
2,951 Posts
The needle is never set perfectly. Wait for a big change in the weather and you'll find out.
Yes, with higher nitro you're going to have to richen the needle.
Old Apr 27, 2012, 08:01 PM
Joined Dec 2011
118 Posts
I have heard the term "the needle" but only with nitro boats LOL Is that the low speed needle right? I am doing research now..
Last edited by proboatronnie; Apr 27, 2012 at 08:29 PM.
Old Apr 27, 2012, 11:07 PM
Medford, OR
Joined Nov 2010
268 Posts
Usually once the low speed needle is set you don't have to mess with it. It's the high speed needle that will ALWAYS need adjusting. It will always change due to temperature, humidity, water conditions....... You get the point. I believe you have the solid shaft version, which is the least desirable. But you have to start somewhere and many people have had fun running it. I think that hull is the same as the Miss Budweiser and the Miss Llumar, but I could be wrong. I did a budget build of the Miss Llumar and currently have a thread going on it. Scroll down the main page of the internal combustion page and look for Proboat Miss Llumar. There a little info that might help you. Use the advanced search option and I'm sure you will find some info on you boat. If you have questions don't hesitate to ask as we are here to help!
Old Apr 27, 2012, 11:51 PM
Joined Dec 2011
118 Posts
Thanks Dave, I appreciate your help!! Solid shaft? It has a flex shaft if thats what you mean? Im kinda on a budget so I got it kinda cheap an trying not to learn the hard way. Yes its pretty much is the miss Budweiser. I will check out your thread also. Could you tell me where the high speed needle is located? Again thanks for your time and help.
Last edited by proboatronnie; Apr 28, 2012 at 12:01 AM.
Old Apr 28, 2012, 02:49 AM
Medford, OR
Joined Nov 2010
268 Posts
My bad! I'm not a fan of Proboat so I don't know much about their boats. The Llumar kinda fell into my lap, so that's why I have it. I appreciate the thanx, for sure! But we are here to help and I love RCGroups because there is no talkin. So this is where I spend my time.

Okay, back on topic! If you go to the second page of my Llumar thread, post #20, look at the third and fourth pic down. You will see a brass shaft pertruding out of the carb with a flat head in the center. That is your high speed needle, it's a dead give away as that is where the fuel inlet for the carb is located. Are you picking up what I'm putting down?
Old Apr 28, 2012, 03:32 AM
Joined Dec 2011
118 Posts
Yep, got it! just read your whole thread. This boat pretty much fell into my lap kinda also. I have a deep v brushless that I want to run with this, although I have a feeling my deep v is going to blow by it. It prob goes about 40, but hey Im not trying to win any races, just have a good time w/my friends and boats. I like this site too, everyone is really helpful and pretty laid back like me, Found high speed needle too, left rich an right lean. The guy I got it from says he was running car nitro, 20%. Some people on here were saying to run 45-50% nitro, can u explaine the pros and cons..
Old Apr 28, 2012, 04:00 PM
Medford, OR
Joined Nov 2010
268 Posts
DONT RUN CAR FUEL! Boat fuel has a higher oil content as they need more lubrication, obviously. You will see higher speeds running 50% compared to 15, 20 or 30%. I know this for a fact as I started with 30%. My OS 21 outboard LOVES the higher nitro content. If I was you I would get some 50% O'Donnell and RUN IT! There's nothing wrong with 20%, if you like going slower! Although I have no experience with the dynamite engine that's in your boat, I have read they are crap. Personally I would run the hell out of it until it blows up. Then maybe pick up an OS, as they are very reliable.
Old Apr 28, 2012, 08:42 PM
Joined Dec 2011
118 Posts
Hey dave I took it out today on the 15% that came with the boat. As I read, it doesnt handle small chop very well but neither did my 40" brushless deep v today. I tried to run it but when I let off the idle it stalled when I was going slower. Do you have to keep hitting the throttle repeatedly or do you keep constant pressure on the trigger. It would stay idle pretty well also. Was hoping the engine wasnt a pos
Last edited by proboatronnie; Apr 28, 2012 at 08:55 PM.
Old Apr 28, 2012, 08:57 PM
RC boat Rock Star
Kalamazoo, MI
Joined Apr 2004
2,951 Posts
These boats aren't made to go slow. That's a big rookie mistake with these boats. If the idle speed is too low they'll die. If they get off plane, the prop will cavitate.
No, they're not rough-water boats by a long shot. You almost have to pick and choose the days that you run them.
Old Apr 28, 2012, 09:10 PM
Joined Dec 2011
118 Posts
Thanks roy. Now that you pointed those things out and I think back from earlier today, I can see what you are talking about now. I was only trying to go a little slower because of the little chop and didnt want to flip it, then it stalled. So with that said I guess it safe to say to take hydros out on calmer days and hammer it..