SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 23, 2012, 02:29 AM
Joined Nov 2003
695 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 420flyboy View Post
The jetfan 80 with arc , staying on 6s , gives just the power increase this plane needs , I said that before . If you do the math , I gained almost 2 lbs of thrust and 700 watts more peak power, or about 1hp more than stock , with only 4 oz's of extra weight .

Do you know if the Jetfan 80 on the stock motor has any substantial power gain ?
vasek is offline Find More Posts by vasek
to remove ads between posts
Old May 23, 2012, 02:42 AM
TeamSiam
Graz
Joined May 2007
326 Posts
Jetfan-80 with the stock motor

Hello Vasek,

Sorry to say no to this combination.

First the stock motor does not fit to our front plate, so you have to make a Carbon plate with the drills for the stock motor and another pair of drills to fit our holes for the normal motor screws.
Second we have more load and another necessary KV at our rotor.

Anyway you will gain a bad efficiency from the stock motor or even burn it!

BR, Rainer
EJETS-II is online now Find More Posts by EJETS-II
Old May 23, 2012, 07:35 AM
FunkMaster
United States, OH, Mason
Joined Jan 2011
247 Posts
Tam,

Do you have any pictures of your F-4 struts retracted in the wing? Did you have to modify the wheel wells at all to allow them to retract?

Thanks,

Kent
KentF is online now Find More Posts by KentF
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: JTM 1.7m ViperJet
Old May 23, 2012, 07:51 AM
United States, CT, Southbury
Joined Aug 2011
335 Posts
Props to you buddy!!! Love the attitude! Good luck, I will be rooting for your success!

Wes

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCALEFAN View Post
!bwana1

I finished my F4 a few days ago, 7lbs, 8oz AUW with 6S, 5000mah battery, Shulman trailing link gear, completely stock setup. To be truthful, after reading some reports about the stock setup being underpowered, I was not planning a maiden anytime soon. I'm also not going to put anymore money in this plane, as I like the 90, 100, 120mm jets much better. That changed, it's going to fly this weekend, as is.

I will tell the truth about the flight, if I can bring it down and land it, then, anybody can, and it will erase any negative thoughts. Everybody that I've seen flies the Habu32 at our field, and here the F4, onto the runway at high speed. I don't land anything that way, I'm a full stall carrier type pilot. So if I can fly on final with high alpha it's either going to tip stall or land, one or the other.

If it stalls, I want a dynamite crash, maybe even a fire like the real thing. The peanut gallery always looks forward to my flying, either it's great, or a spectacular crash, nothing in between. I build a plane a week, not to many crashes lately, so the inventory is growing, something has to go.LOL The weakest link or bad flyer will bite the dust. My motto for maidens, If it goes home in one piece, it's a keeper.
RCflyerCT is offline Find More Posts by RCflyerCT
Old May 23, 2012, 08:39 AM
Advocating for RC Aviation
USA, NJ, Phillipsburg
Joined Jul 2010
1,390 Posts
A few dozen pages back, someone helpful urged me to check the nose gear height and spring action of the Schulman grass gear which is a good tip, thanks again. Mine has not yet left the garage yet, but I can see now that the mains are installed that the nose gear will be problematic as described. May simply swap that unit out for the E-Flight nose gear for the maiden. I also recall a post about having a little extra height to improve angle of incidence / take-off performance. Anybody have that measurement handy? Thanks guys.
danamania is offline Find More Posts by danamania
Old May 23, 2012, 09:03 AM
Gotta have toys!
La Jolla, CA. USA
Joined May 2006
856 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCALEFAN View Post
!bwana1

I finished my F4 a few days ago, 7lbs, 8oz AUW with 6S, 5000mah battery, Shulman trailing link gear, completely stock setup. To be truthful, after reading some reports about the stock setup being underpowered, I was not planning a maiden anytime soon. I'm also not going to put anymore money in this plane, as I like the 90, 100, 120mm jets much better. That changed, it's going to fly this weekend, as is.

I will tell the truth about the flight, if I can bring it down and land it, then, anybody can, and it will erase any negative thoughts. Everybody that I've seen flies the Habu32 at our field, and here the F4, onto the runway at high speed. I don't land anything that way, I'm a full stall carrier type pilot. So if I can fly on final with high alpha it's either going to tip stall or land, one or the other.

If it stalls, I want a dynamite crash, maybe even a fire like the real thing. The peanut gallery always looks forward to my flying, either it's great, or a spectacular crash, nothing in between. I build a plane a week, not to many crashes lately, so the inventory is growing, something has to go.LOL The weakest link or bad flyer will bite the dust. My motto for maidens, If it goes home in one piece, it's a keeper.
Great attitude, I am looking forward to your maiden report. I am optimistic that your impressions after flying will be better than some of the negative posts I have seen.

Good Luck!
1bwana1 is offline Find More Posts by 1bwana1
Old May 23, 2012, 09:04 AM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jun 2006
5,453 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KentF View Post
Tam,

Do you have any pictures of your F-4 struts retracted in the wing? Did you have to modify the wheel wells at all to allow them to retract?

Thanks,

Kent
I posted properly 10 pages back.
You need to clear the area where the spring touch.
Tamjets is offline Find More Posts by Tamjets
Old May 23, 2012, 09:24 AM
Mile High EDF
United States, CO, Denver
Joined Jul 2011
938 Posts
So far Tam you have showed nothing , no numbers to back up your claims , just your ball holding buddy.

Show me the numbers...

I was asked to show scale , I did . You ask people to spend a lot of $ , with no hard data to back it up.

Last I checked my money's green also, but I only buy form others that put real numbers and weight , so I really know what my cash is buying .
420flyboy is online now Find More Posts by 420flyboy
Last edited by 420flyboy; May 24, 2012 at 08:56 AM.
Old May 23, 2012, 09:38 AM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jun 2006
5,453 Posts
Quote:
So far Tam you have showed nothing , no numbers to back up your claims , just your ball holding buddy.

Show me the numbers...

I was asked to show scale , I did . You ask people to spend a lot of $ , with no hard data to back it up.

And playing video games
you, I'm 41 .

Last I checked my money's green also, but I only buy form others that put real numbers and weight , so I really know what my cash is buying .
James,
Just let you know I wish had little more weight yesterday on landing.
The plane float and it hard to land in windy condition. That proof right there.
BTW
You call me liar.
That just great.
I put experience to work and got it done lite. Here you been on my bubble.
What is wrong with you?
Last edited by Tamjets; May 23, 2012 at 09:44 AM.
Old May 23, 2012, 09:57 AM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jun 2006
5,453 Posts
Here is the bad windy landing.
The plane is so light and it hard to land on the gusty wind.
My turbine version is little heavier and when land still had fuel. That just enouh to give better sink rate and had better control.
It fly like a kite yesterday. Barely need the power. The wind carry it. LOL.

E-flite F-4 windy landing (8 min 59 sec)
Old May 23, 2012, 10:00 AM
Mile High EDF
United States, CO, Denver
Joined Jul 2011
938 Posts
It's simple Tam
You make a great fan combo , it's fast an sounds good, my point is... It's not the only one and you aren't the only one who can build a light jet or fast . I post all my numbers to help those who want to upgrade , so they know exactly what to expect .

Why can't you post your numbers for all to see ?
Weight
Thrust
Efflux
Amps
Watts

With data to back them up, you know
A scale , your castle esc data log, your Efflux data with picture..

Some how you think what I ask is unfair to you ?

Also your video says 2.5kw , so I'm only 200 watts shy of your 2.5kw on 8s,
Oh and my 6s lipos have been holding strong as they only need to pull 100 amps and you know that's not constant , maybe 60-70 amps constant . At least I have my data log to show me and others my numbers .

When you show us all the data , not words , but actual pictures and video of tests I'll believe you. I guess until then I'll be spending my $ elsewhere and the $ I'm saving on more 6s lipos so I can fly all day.
420flyboy is online now Find More Posts by 420flyboy
Old May 23, 2012, 10:41 AM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jun 2006
5,453 Posts
Quote:
It's simple Tam
You make a great fan combo , it's fast an sounds good, my point is... It's not the only one and you aren't the only one who can build a light jet or fast . I post all my numbers to help those who want to upgrade , so they know exactly what to expect .

Why can't you post your numbers for all to see ?
Weight
Thrust
Efflux
Amps
Watts

With data to back them up, you know
A scale , your castle esc data log, your Efflux data with picture..

Some how you think what I ask is unfair to you ?

Also your video says 2.5kw , so I'm only 200 watts shy of your 2.5kw on 8s,
Oh and my 6s lipos have been holding strong as they only need to pull 100 amps and you know that's not constant , maybe 60-70 amps constant . At least I have my data log to show me and others my numbers .

When you show us all the data , not words , but actual pictures and video of tests I'll believe you. I guess until then I'll be spending my $ elsewhere and the $ I'm saving on more 6s lipos so I can fly all day.
James,
Am I begging you to buy anything from me? You been compare apple and orange.
I don't had the time to break down it just for one guy nickle and dime.
My way do business is showing the products work, reliable and many videos to back it up my work.
If you had anything can out performance TJ80.
Goes to the Habu 32 speed contest thread.
There you can proof yourselt to knock me down on the Top Gun speed.
That is proof of my work that had the fastest Habu 32....Oopse...now is second fastest Habu 32. Nick and John got the same set up I got and they beat me.
If anyone out there want to get the market share.
They already enter that speed contest to claim had the fastest set up.
Why we still been up there?
Because they don't had the fan that can run that effecient and with light weight motor.
Old May 23, 2012, 10:55 AM
Fly allot, Crash allot, next?
United States, CA, Corona
Joined Feb 2006
7,242 Posts

Did you ever think that Tam doesn't think the data for this particular airframe is worth the effort. He isn't gonna say it, but I will. Tam will not trash a plane, so silence is the key.

This F4 is a glorified toy, not that easy to land, lot's of negative maiden results, and there seems to be only two serious participants, you and bwana.

If you like to think that this plane is the cat's meow, tiny as it is, unrealistic as it is, overpriced as it is, then OK....enjoy it and obviously you can fly it pretty well.

Having said all that, I have a good job, I can afford to loose the plane or buy replacement parts, however most young guys cannot afford this kind of loss and you should stop trying to sell it. Who cares about the data, data is only important for planes that have a future. This is obviously a limited production plane, it's getting some bad press, and who knows if Horizon will even re-stock it.

I'm not trying to be mean, but lets call a spade a spade. Tam hasn't even bothered to put brakes on this bird, obviously, even he thinks it's a toy.
SCALEFAN is offline Find More Posts by SCALEFAN
Last edited by SCALEFAN; May 23, 2012 at 11:00 AM.
Old May 23, 2012, 11:36 AM
Mustang Fever
Joined Jan 2005
401 Posts
Tam: keep up the good work and keep the reports coming.

On the nose gear question: a degree or two of positive nose up is all you want. More than that and the drag from the delta wing will slow down the rate of acceleration. Less than that, or negative, and Phantoms get hard to rotate. I measure stuff like this with a digital, helicopter pitch gauge.
Bob Hunt is online now Find More Posts by Bob Hunt
Last edited by Bob Hunt; May 26, 2012 at 05:05 AM.
Old May 23, 2012, 11:44 AM
I hate waiting for parts
United States, NC, Garner
Joined Apr 2001
6,866 Posts
I've wanted this plane ever since it was announced. The total cost of ownership is what turned me off, as adding up the airframe, servos, retracts, fan, motor, and ESC turned out to be a tidy sum of money. If I was going to spend that kind of money, I can have a very large scale heli instead. Now that the plane is out and the flight reports are in, I'm thinking about getting it again. The fact that it may be difficult to fly and a challenge to my skills has reignited my interest. Pretty much all of my airplanes are what I consider easy to fly. If this requires the pilot thinking ahead of the airplane - much like it is flying helicopters - then I like the sound of that. I have several 6s 5000 mAh batteries and I would simply go with the stock power system.

Here's my question... is anyone flying the stock power system off a grass field? We have a club member with the Habu32, Tam's 80mm fan, and a Neu motor so it will ROG in short order. Just wondering if the Phantom can handle a grass field with the stock setup...
Mike_Then is offline Find More Posts by Mike_Then
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Repairing the T-28... again