HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 20, 2012, 11:36 AM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,133 Posts
Short video clip of just the landing, no flaps needed here, ca 15mph wind. Full video of Bruce's F-4 posted earlier ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brezgYT3_i4
Herb is offline Find More Posts by Herb
to remove ads between posts
Old May 20, 2012, 12:20 PM
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined May 2011
3,807 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb View Post
Short video clip of just the landing, no flaps needed here, ca 15mph wind. Full video of Bruce's F-4 posted earlier ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brezgYT3_i4
Nice landing...that runway if definetly not for the faint of heart...If your landing an F4 on that strip..you can land anywhere!! Practice..Practice.
ZACATTACK is offline Find More Posts by ZACATTACK
Old May 20, 2012, 03:36 PM
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Dec 2006
505 Posts
We crashed ours on Maiden Yesterday. When the plane took off, it when straight up into a high alpha. I pushed the nose down and turned to the right. It sank in the turn and stalled. As It was going down I cut throttle and straightened her out. We lost gear and the two winglets. Top is ok and she will fly again.

We are bummed because we don't know what we did wrong and want to be sure before we try again.

One thing we know we did wrong was take of with Med Flaps and Med Rates. We forgot the manual said no flaps and we always take off with the habu 32 with med flaps and rates. We also had the up elevator mixed in with flaps. I think 1mm and 2mm (high)

We don't know if it was tail heavy or elevator was set at too of up angle. CG was at 155mm and elevator was set to 17mm down as per the manual update. We have the RX, Battery, and BEC pro all in the far back and the Ice 100 between the ducts and were shooting for a CG of 160 - 165mm for CG as per Tam and others but we could only balance at 155mm. So we took her up figuring better a bit nose heavy. We used the CG maching right before flight.

So we are hoping you guy's have some ideas before we go for second maiden.
stvinvegas is offline Find More Posts by stvinvegas
Old May 20, 2012, 04:57 PM
SoCal, Year Round Flying!
Newport Beach, CA
Joined May 2002
5,745 Posts
Thanks for the videos Herb.
Sorry about your crash stvinvegas.

Bruce
bmiller is offline Find More Posts by bmiller
RCG Plus Member
Old May 20, 2012, 05:40 PM
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Dec 2006
505 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmiller View Post
Thanks for the videos Herb.
Sorry about your crash stvinvegas.

Bruce
Thanks Bruce and sorry about yours as well.
stvinvegas is offline Find More Posts by stvinvegas
Old May 20, 2012, 06:22 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jun 2006
5,453 Posts
Sorry to hear that. That is the stall and you had too much up elevator.
It hard to recover with stock power plant. It need 1.1 power to recover from low speed stall.
I can measure my set up and posted later.

I got 6 flights today.
Tamjets is offline Find More Posts by Tamjets
Old May 21, 2012, 12:10 AM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jun 2006
5,453 Posts
Here is today flying.

E-flite F-4 P-20 turbine conversion (5 min 25 sec)
Old May 21, 2012, 02:36 AM
San Diego
Joined Oct 2006
570 Posts
Very cool Tam! How much $ do you think that you have in that P-20 bird?

Aaron

Also, are there any issues with the installation of the gear doors using your struts?
Aaron Wallace is offline Find More Posts by Aaron Wallace
Old May 21, 2012, 06:09 AM
FunkMaster
United States, OH, Mason
Joined Jan 2011
189 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdelapen View Post
Thanks, I didn't have the actual numbers at my fingertips but it's good to know the actual amps! I was just ensuring that no one tried to run it above 6 cells because that would be bad . At 5A then, for both the F-4 and Habu, it's probably not a great idea; even at 6S . So short version, use only the CC BEC Pro .

- Birger
Just a little more information regarding the CC 10amp BEC....
I'm running a completely stock F-4 and using a CC Ice 100amp ESC and using the 10A CC BEC, both running off of the same battery (Turnigy Nano 45-90C 5000mah 6S). After my last flight I noticed that during the flight, my transmitter registered a receiver voltage of 3.8 at some point! Not sure if it's the 10a BEC or running off the flight battery that is the issue.

Thoughts? I didn't want the weight of another battery in there but I know a lot of people are doing so. Not sure if the BEC Pro would make this any better.
KentF is online now Find More Posts by KentF
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: JTM 1.7m ViperJet
Old May 21, 2012, 06:23 AM
EDF Jet Jam May 2014
United States, KY, Crestview Hills
Joined Dec 2000
6,295 Posts
Kent I'm using the 10 amp bec with a 2cell lipo 800mah weighs 1.5 ounces. The bec doesn't have to work as hard dropping the voltage.this setup is much more convenient for radio adjustments and programming.
Robert Belluomini is offline Find More Posts by Robert Belluomini
Old May 21, 2012, 06:55 AM
FunkMaster
United States, OH, Mason
Joined Jan 2011
189 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Belluomini View Post
Kent I'm using the 10 amp bec with a 2cell lipo 800mah weighs 1.5 ounces. The bec doesn't have to work as hard dropping the voltage.this setup is much more convenient for radio adjustments and programming.
Thanks for the info Robert. Do you know how much flight time the 800mah gives you?

Kent
KentF is online now Find More Posts by KentF
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: JTM 1.7m ViperJet
Old May 21, 2012, 09:19 AM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jun 2006
5,453 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Wallace View Post
Very cool Tam! How much $ do you think that you have in that P-20 bird?

Aaron

Also, are there any issues with the installation of the gear doors using your struts?
P-20 alone is $2700.

I don't attach door on strut. It break off easy after few landing.
Old May 21, 2012, 09:26 AM
Gotta have toys!
La Jolla, CA. USA
Joined May 2006
856 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stvinvegas View Post
We crashed ours on Maiden Yesterday. When the plane took off, it when straight up into a high alpha. I pushed the nose down and turned to the right. It sank in the turn and stalled. As It was going down I cut throttle and straightened her out. We lost gear and the two winglets. Top is ok and she will fly again.

We are bummed because we don't know what we did wrong and want to be sure before we try again.

One thing we know we did wrong was take of with Med Flaps and Med Rates. We forgot the manual said no flaps and we always take off with the habu 32 with med flaps and rates. We also had the up elevator mixed in with flaps. I think 1mm and 2mm (high)

We don't know if it was tail heavy or elevator was set at too of up angle. CG was at 155mm and elevator was set to 17mm down as per the manual update. We have the RX, Battery, and BEC pro all in the far back and the Ice 100 between the ducts and were shooting for a CG of 160 - 165mm for CG as per Tam and others but we could only balance at 155mm. So we took her up figuring better a bit nose heavy. We used the CG maching right before flight.

So we are hoping you guy's have some ideas before we go for second maiden.
So sorry to hear of your crash during the maiden. From this thread it seems to me that this plane has a high percentage of incidences while people are learning to fly it. I'm not sure why this is, except that it is a scale plane and must be flown within its envelope. This is my first scale EDF, and I find there is a steep curve learning to flying it comfortably. It is such a cool looking plane, a nice easy to build kit, at a reasonable price point, that I'm guessing it is attracting a lot of people like me who are new to this type of plane and flying.

From your post it is hard to say what the problem was. I do use mid flap, and mid rates for take off as recommended in the manual. The manual only suggest no flaps for first flight. From your description, the most likely cause of your issues would be that there was too much up elevator in your setup. This could be caused by the compounding of the static elevator angle and the up elevator to flap mix. This plane takes some time to gain speed. It will not power out of problems once in them. This is very true when it is dirty with flaps and gear. I keep my take off angle low, and clean up the airframe as soon as possible to build up speed as quickly as I can.

I hope the repairs go well, and that you get the F4 back up soon and without further issues.

Steve
1bwana1 is offline Find More Posts by 1bwana1
Old May 21, 2012, 12:22 PM
Joined Nov 2003
688 Posts
Hey guys,
I'm trying to order Jetfan 80 from ejets. So far i have not been able to register on their pages to complete the order & emails sent to team@ejets.at come back as "undelivered"
Anyone has their phone no. in Austria?

Thanks, V.
vasek is offline Find More Posts by vasek
Last edited by vasek; May 21, 2012 at 12:54 PM.
Old May 21, 2012, 01:23 PM
Mile High EDF
United States, CO, Denver
Joined Jul 2011
917 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vasek View Post
Hey guys,
I'm trying to order Jetfan 80 from ejets. So far i have not been able to register on their pages to complete the order & emails sent to team@ejets.at come back as "undelivered"
Anyone has their phone no. in Austria?

Thanks, V.
Try contacting Mike at performance-edf.biz, he could probably get in touch for you.

performanceedf@gmail.com
420flyboy is online now Find More Posts by 420flyboy