AIR SALLY is offline Find More Posts by AIR SALLY
to remove ads between posts
Old May 19, 2012, 10:52 PM
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined May 2011
3,825 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmiller View Post
Remaidened w/ 6S, had some weird control problems. it wanted to turn right pretty hard right after liftoff then it flew straight with no trim needed.
Did a tighter turn and it went straight up into a stall but I got it straightened out, Decided to land, put the gear down and flew a big circle to a nice landing. Looked it over, nothing loose, cg 6 1/4, can't see anything wrong so went for 2nd flight.
2nd flight 7S cg 6 1/8, nice power increase, airborne quickly, again it wanted to turn right then flew straight. Went for a tight turn to do a speed pass and it again went straight up into a stall. This time it did not recover....
How Bad was the Damage??
ZACATTACK is offline Find More Posts by ZACATTACK
Old May 19, 2012, 10:58 PM
SoCal, Year Round Flying!
Newport Beach, CA
Joined May 2002
5,745 Posts
Yeah I'm bummed, put a ton of work repairing it this week, it was looking pretty good with the black nose paint I used.
I'm thinking I used too much elevator(high rates)at speed and I guess F-4s in general are really picky about that.
bmiller is offline Find More Posts by bmiller
RCG Plus Member
Old May 19, 2012, 11:01 PM
Newport Beach, CA
Joined May 2002
5,745 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZACATTACK View Post
How Bad was the Damage??
100ft straight down, needs a fuselage(AGAIN), wings, tail look perfect, electronics fine, fan broken.
oh yeah both lipos ejected, one burst into flames, looked like a real jet crash!
RCG Plus Member
Old May 19, 2012, 11:16 PM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
20,514 Posts
AIR SALLY is offline Find More Posts by AIR SALLY
Old May 19, 2012, 11:33 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jun 2006
5,453 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmiller View Post
100ft straight down, needs a fuselage(AGAIN), wings, tail look perfect, electronics fine, fan broken.
oh yeah both lipos ejected, one burst into flames, looked like a real jet crash!
I got one more kit come tomorrow. I only need the wings.
I can sell you the fuse if that help get you back in the air sooner.
Tamjets is offline Find More Posts by Tamjets
Old May 19, 2012, 11:52 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jun 2006
5,453 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Belluomini View Post
Tam you really now how to keep sales going strong!
And the rest well follow.
Old May 20, 2012, 12:25 AM
Newport Beach, CA
Joined May 2002
5,745 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamjets View Post
I got one more kit come tomorrow. I only need the wings.
I can sell you the fuse if that help get you back in the air sooner.
Thanks for the offer, I need to look closer at the damage first, may need an entire kit
RCG Plus Member
Old May 20, 2012, 05:30 AM
EDF Jet Jam May 2014
United States, KY, Crestview Hills
Joined Dec 2000
6,301 Posts
Tam you're like the pied piper. You start playing your flute and then you have everybody buying all these new products. It's like magic as no one can resist!
Robert Belluomini is offline Find More Posts by Robert Belluomini
Old May 20, 2012, 09:04 AM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jun 2006
5,453 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Belluomini View Post
Tam you're like the pied piper. You start playing your flute and then you have everybody buying all these new products. It's like magic as no one can resist!
So did you get one yet?
Old May 20, 2012, 09:31 AM
Gotta have toys!
La Jolla, CA. USA
Joined May 2006
856 Posts
I put a few more flights on my F4 yesterday. I now have my ailerons at the recommended high rates in all of my flight modes. The ailerons are small, and I find I like the increased response. I am really enjoying flying this little jet.

Unfortunately, the second F4 at my field went in yesterday. It was being flown by a very experienced pilot who flies IMAC Unlimited. However, the difference in flying this scale jet as opposed to an aerobatic plane bit him. He had deployed full flaps on the down wind leg setting up for landing. After the turn to final he had a nice AOA going, the jet started coming down at a good rate of decent, nice and stable. But as he rate of decent started to increase he applied more elevator instead of throttle. The F4 stalled, did about a 1 1/2 flat spin, and then tumbled straight in. It was surprising how fast things fell apart once he got out of the plane's flight envelope. Unlike aerobatic planes, there was no wobbling or other signs that he was approaching the edge. The only sign of the plane being stalled was the rapidly increasing rate of decent.

Leason learned. This plane needs to be landed under power, using throttle management to control the rate of decent. When it is dirty with full flaps, and flying slow, the elevator must be handled with a light touch.

-Steve-
1bwana1 is offline Find More Posts by 1bwana1
Old May 20, 2012, 09:40 AM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jun 2006
5,453 Posts
I hate to said it.
IMAC and Jets is completely different things.
I bet the how experience the IMAC guys is. If he never flew a jet.
I bet he can't get it to land right. It just another learning cure experience set up right.
I lost one too at Ohio E-Jet with the experience IMAC guy firt time flying a jet. But he is a gentlement paid for his dump thump mistake.

Time to to burn more kero....
Old May 20, 2012, 10:38 AM
Advocating for RC Aviation
USA, NJ, Phillipsburg
Joined Jul 2010
1,390 Posts
I would think most would agree that full flaps is for the final approach only (in general); are you guys finding first flaps (TO) setting flaps enough on downwind? In general: Establish downwind leg; first flaps; gear down; turn base; turn final; full flaps (if needed but not in crosswind); short final; flare and roll-out? Correct? Anything different for this F4 that we should know about? Thanks!
danamania is offline Find More Posts by danamania
Old May 20, 2012, 11:19 AM
Gotta have toys!
La Jolla, CA. USA
Joined May 2006
856 Posts
danamania,
That is pretty much how I do it, full flaps only on final after the turn.
Old May 20, 2012, 11:21 AM
Gotta have toys!
La Jolla, CA. USA
Joined May 2006
856 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamjets View Post
I hate to said it.
IMAC and Jets is completely different things.
I bet the how experience the IMAC guys is. If he never flew a jet.
I bet he can't get it to land right. It just another learning cure experience set up right.
I lost one too at Ohio E-Jet with the experience IMAC guy firt time flying a jet. But he is a gentlement paid for his dump thump mistake.

Time to to burn more kero....
He had done 5 or 6 beautifull landings prior to this one. Just got caught out this time.