HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 07, 2012, 10:12 AM
USA, CA, Fullerton
Joined Jun 2007
326 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bwana1 View Post
So far the only mix is the rudder to nose wheel steering. It is set to the Gear Switch so that the wheel only turns when the gear is down.

There is one interesting addition to the standard flight modes. I have set up the Rudder so that it's rate increases with the flight modes. But I have also programmed the Rudder so that it can be switched independantly. When in Flight Mode "Low" you can use the Rudder Dual Rate Switch to increase the Rudder while keeping the Ailerons, and Elevator in low rates. I find this very usefull for knife edge and other manuevers that require lots of rudder, but keeps the other surfaces tame and easy to fly. It is also useful for ground handling because it increases the nose wheel steering with the rudder mix.
Would I be able to do either or both of these on my DX8?
Heirmeistr is offline Find More Posts by Heirmeistr
to remove ads between posts
Old May 07, 2012, 10:46 AM
Fly allot, Crash allot, next?
United States, CA, Corona
Joined Feb 2006
7,227 Posts
Absolutely nothing wrong, you guys just enjoy what you are doing, and keep uploading the 11x programming. I also have an 11x, but flipping switches does not work well for people that have small hands. ask Tam.

I simply realized that as nice as the F4 is, my real love is building and flying larger planes. I am an old fashioned pilot and none of my 30 plus prop planes and jets have any extraordinary programing. If the plane pitches up with the deployment of flaps, I simply push down and hold it that way. I don't fly by computer and I simply don't fnd enjoyment in this kind of flying, where for every flight change you have to flip a switch.

To each his own.

PS. I also will have the E-Flight 32 EDF setup and Shulman F4 oleo gear to sell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpitts View Post
Selling??? Were you hoping it flew bad? Mine flies great it flies like a f4. Takes off good lands great if you know how to land . 120mph stock. Solid flight. Can take off from grass. What more could you want?
SCALEFAN is offline Find More Posts by SCALEFAN
Old May 07, 2012, 10:50 AM
Mile High EDF
United States, CO, Denver
Joined Jul 2011
916 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCALEFAN View Post
Absolutely nothing wrong, you guys just enjoy what you are doing, and keep uploading the 11x programming. I also have an 11x, but flipping switches does not work well for people that have small hands. ask Tam.

I simply realized that as nice as the F4 is, my real love is building and flying larger planes. I am an old fashioned pilot and none of my 30 plus prop planes and jets have any extraordinary programing. If the plane pitches up with the deployment of flaps, I simply push down and hold it that way. I don't fly by computer and I simply don't fnd enjoyment in this kind of flying, where for every flight change you have to flip a switch.

To each his own.

PS. I also will have the E-Flight 32 EDF setup and Shulman F4 oleo gear to sell.

How much for the f4 oleo gear ?
420flyboy is online now Find More Posts by 420flyboy
Old May 07, 2012, 10:52 AM
Landin' On The Canopy BAD
Lee's Summit, MO
Joined Jan 2008
1,481 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCALEFAN View Post

To each his own.

And there is absolutely nothing wrong with that, computer radios were designed to just ease the load on a pilot, for instance, instead of pushing down when flaps go down, just mix the elevator into it to go down with them, less for the pilot to think about, but the switches and everything can throw the pilot off sometimes, especially with an 11X!
F-86FLIER4LIFE is offline Find More Posts by F-86FLIER4LIFE
Old May 07, 2012, 11:11 AM
Gotta have toys!
La Jolla, CA. USA
Joined May 2006
856 Posts
Second day flight report.

I re-worked my thrust tube using good tape. I even smoke tested it, there are no leaks now. I spent a good deal of time cleaning the cover and the rough fiberglass tube, and the fresh 3M duct tape seems to be holding well.

One thing we can say about this little F4 is that it is beautifully done. It gets a lot of attention at the field. Unfortunately, we had a 10 mph crosswind blowing directly from the back at 90 degrees yesterday, so these first flights took place in less than ideal conditions.

With the power plant now working properly, the plane took off without issue. I used mid-rates, mid flaps for the take off. I gained a little altitude, retracted the gear, put the flaps up, and switched to low rates. I kept the plane level and fined tuned the trims so it flew as straight and level hands off as possible in the crosswinds. The plane tracked fairly well considering the conditions. Time to explore the flight envelope.

The first thing I noticed was that energy management is much more of an issue with this plane than with it's sister plane the Habu-32 on the same power system. Being a scale model it has more drag as I expected. On the same power system as my Habu-32 it is a good 10 mph slower. More noticably It comes up to speed much slower, and bleeds off the speed quicker, especialy in up lines. I find I am on the throttle more, and my flight times will be a little shorter.

I found the manual recommended rates worked well on rudder, and elevator. Nice and smooth. However, at the recommended rates the roll rate was way too slow for my taste. I kept dialing the ailerons up. My low rates are now higher than the recommended mid rates, and the mid and high are proportionaly higher. The F4 does pull off line significantly during rolls. I'm not sure how much of that was from the crosswind, or the lack of differential in my setup. It was annoying enough that last night I changed my setup to "Y" the flaps, and now have independant ailerons so I can easily adjust the differential. We will see how that works out next time I fly.

I didn't get too aerobatic with this plane yesterday. I did some rolls, slow, and fast. You will have to use rudder and elevator, or start slightly climbing during rolls or the plane will lose a little altitude. I did some loops, you have to set up for these as the speed bleeds off. Split "S", and cubans are fine. Inverted flight is stable, but takes some elevator. This may get less as I play with the CG, which I now have right in the middle of the recommended range. As I get the plane dialed in I will try more manuevers, and explore the envelope a little more.

Landings were straight forward even in the crosswind. I used mid-flaps, mid-rates in the crosswind. I also kept the power up a little and landed a little faster than I normally would. With a slightly positive angle of attack, and holding heading with rudder and a little cross aileron she settled in nicely. No drama.

Over all I enjoyed flying the F4. Keeping in mind that I have liitle time on this plane, my impressions are subject to change. But to help those considering buying one, and set expectations, I will make a few comments. This is a very well done scale plane. It looks great in the pitts, and even better flying by on a low pass. It gets a lot of attention at the field. Being scale it does have some performance compromises. If you are a striaght up speed junky, you will want to work on some power mods. My guess is there will be many posted on the thread. It is a nice, stable flying plane so will not be too challenging for most pilots. No threatening, bad habits. But definately not as aerobatic as the Habu-32. Scale jet, scale energy management, and scale flying experience. That was pretty much my expectation when I bought the plane. My other planes are all aerobatic so I am really enjoying flying something a little different. So far I am pleased with my purchase.

I will post my new, better 11X file this evening.

Hope you guys find the flight report usefull.

-Steve-
1bwana1 is offline Find More Posts by 1bwana1
Last edited by 1bwana1; May 07, 2012 at 11:46 AM.
Old May 07, 2012, 11:14 AM
Gotta have toys!
La Jolla, CA. USA
Joined May 2006
856 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heirmeistr View Post
Would I be able to do either or both of these on my DX8?
I have programmed a few planes for fiends with the DX-8. Fairly straight forward setups so I haven't tried it. But It seems to me that you can have either Flight Modes or Individual Rates with the DX-8, not both simultaniously as you can with the 11X.

The rudder-nose steering mix will be straight forward on the DX8.
Last edited by 1bwana1; May 07, 2012 at 11:47 AM.
Old May 07, 2012, 11:21 AM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jun 2006
5,453 Posts
Steve
Do you notice it climp or decent on high speed and low speed?
My does. Just like the Y/A F-4.
Tamjets is offline Find More Posts by Tamjets
Old May 07, 2012, 11:28 AM
Gotta have toys!
La Jolla, CA. USA
Joined May 2006
856 Posts
Tam,
Yes, I did find that the elevator trim is speed sensitive. This is easily compensated for with a small throttle to elevator mix. Use one of the curved mixes so you can get it perfect.
Old May 07, 2012, 11:33 AM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jun 2006
5,453 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bwana1 View Post
Tam,
Yes, I did find that the elevator trim is speed sensitive. This is easily compensated for with a small throttle to elevator mix. Use one of the curved mixes so you can get it perfect.
That what I did for Y/A F-4. That is like 10 yrs ago.
Tamjets is offline Find More Posts by Tamjets
Old May 07, 2012, 11:35 AM
Advocating for RC Aviation
USA, NJ, Phillipsburg
Joined Jul 2010
1,390 Posts
Steve, thanks for a thoughtful & useful flight report. Got me thinking about the possibility of setting up the flaps so that they function as ailerons or spoilerons in the flight mode condition: might allow for crisper roll rates without inducing a lot of drag from big deflections? Would leave them as flaps only in the take-off/landing condition with the recommend mid-rates. Do you think that would work for the guys who have the extra channel? Also, any use for a speedbrake or crow mixes as landing aids? Good flying! Dana
danamania is offline Find More Posts by danamania
Old May 07, 2012, 11:40 AM
Gotta have toys!
La Jolla, CA. USA
Joined May 2006
856 Posts
Dana,
I don't think you will need the spoilerons, just more rates than recommended. I have not played with Crow on this plane yet. It would slow the plane for landing, but so far that has not been an issue.
Old May 07, 2012, 11:45 AM
USA, NJ, Phillipsburg
Joined Jul 2010
1,390 Posts
Cool. Will you use an expo curve for that power to pitch mix or a program a multi-point curve? If the latter, please post some ratios when you have time that we can use as a starting point. Thanks again!
Old May 07, 2012, 11:50 AM
Gotta have toys!
La Jolla, CA. USA
Joined May 2006
856 Posts
Use a multi point curve for the Throttle to Elevator mix. Add all the points possible so you can get it dialed in throughout the range. The mix will not be large, a few percentage points.
Old May 07, 2012, 11:51 AM
FunkMaster
United States, OH, Mason
Joined Jan 2011
188 Posts
My F-4 took to the air for the first time yesterday.

About 2 minutes into the first flight, the ESC cut out. I was not in a position to make the runway so I had to put it down in a plowed field (had corn in it last year). I pulled the gear up and belly landed it. The good news is that the belly of the F4 is really tough. I wiped it off and you can't even tell it went in. Not sure why the ESC cut out. Once on the ground I tested it and it seemed fine. It's the E-flite 80amp Pro and I'm using a separate BEC. Ran the fan at full throttle on the ground for about 3 or 4 minutes and it seemed fine.

Second flight on different battery went much better. Practiced slow flight with full flaps and gear down. It take a lot of power to maintain level flight with everything down and dirty. Flew clean for about 3 minutes than landed with full flaps. It settled in very nicely.

Any ideas on what happen to my ESC to cause the fan to shut down?

Kent
KentF is offline Find More Posts by KentF
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: JTM 1.7m ViperJet
Old May 07, 2012, 11:55 AM
USA, NJ, Phillipsburg
Joined Jul 2010
1,390 Posts
LVC or thermal cut-off?