SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 05, 2013, 02:26 AM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Sep 2011
746 Posts
This is my first composite plane and it has been really fun to learn how to fly it. Landing however has been challenging, I need more practice but I'm getting there. I had a few flights this past weekend and I was able to get ok landings and deploy the drag chute. Here's the video to share :

E-Flite F-4, Stumax + Drag chute (4 min 5 sec)

Can anyone doppler the pass at 2:10?
Castel101 is offline Find More Posts by Castel101
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 05, 2013, 04:15 AM
nøtterøy, NORWAY
Joined Mar 2006
1,171 Posts
Nice...really nice
kimhey is offline Find More Posts by kimhey
Old Feb 05, 2013, 11:34 PM
"Fly Low, Fly Fast, Turn Left"
United States, CA, Red Bluff
Joined Jul 2009
536 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny_0 View Post
Hey guys, after flying my Phantom stock, I decided to upgrade with a mega motor that Efflux RC has as the "habu 32 hop up motor."

http://www.effluxrc.com/Habu-32-8s-h...6-40-15SEC.htm

Im still using the eflite fan and motor without any mods. I like the more power authority off the ground as well as vertical flight envelope is better. I dont always have access to a pavement runway so grass takeoffs is where I mainly fly at and it struggles with my stock setup. My first flight was using 2 x 3300 4s packs I'll try 4000mah next. So far so good
How did you get your 2 4s packs in?
SmokeDogg is online now Find More Posts by SmokeDogg
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Miss Foxy Lady eBuild
Old Feb 05, 2013, 11:57 PM
edf flyer
United States, CA, Marina
Joined Feb 2009
1,192 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Castel101 View Post
This is my first composite plane and it has been really fun to learn how to fly it. Landing however has been challenging, I need more practice but I'm getting there. I had a few flights this past weekend and I was able to get ok landings and deploy the drag chute. Here's the video to share :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubBukiOaQaQ

Can anyone doppler the pass at 2:10?
very nice video
Mannyman535 is online now Find More Posts by Mannyman535
Old Feb 06, 2013, 12:57 AM
Canada
Joined Dec 2005
201 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeDogg View Post
How did you get your 2 4s packs in?
They fit just fine, and so does the 4S 4000mah, but I also dont use the cockpit floor
johnny_0 is offline Find More Posts by johnny_0
Old Feb 06, 2013, 02:20 AM
Joined Dec 2008
1,630 Posts
What Motor and Lipos are you using Castel101?
pencon is online now Find More Posts by pencon
Old Feb 06, 2013, 10:43 AM
Joined Sep 2011
746 Posts
Mannyman, Kimhey, thanks!

Pencon, I am using a HET 700 60 1738kv motor and 6S 5300mah 30C Spyder batteries from progressiverc.
Old Feb 06, 2013, 03:27 PM
Joined Jul 2009
536 Posts
Quote:
They fit just fine, and so does the 4S 4000mah, but I also dont use the cockpit floor
Looks great to me. I only have 5000mah packs but could get a couple 4k. Balance ok?
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 06, 2013, 04:10 PM
Canada
Joined Dec 2005
201 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeDogg View Post
Looks great to me. I only have 5000mah packs but could get a couple 4k. Balance ok?
Whats the setup youre trying to get? On the stock setup Ive seen the F4 phantom fly with a 6s 6000mah pack

Im running 8s but Im using the Efflux RC mega motor upgrade, in the eflite housing with 2 x4s packs and I wouldn't go higher than 4500mah packs. Its a hot setup, so throttle management is needed.
johnny_0 is offline Find More Posts by johnny_0
Old Feb 06, 2013, 04:43 PM
San Diego
Joined Jul 2009
2,281 Posts
Well mine showed up today, looks real nice! I lost my habu32 a few weeks ago so my jetfan80 on 6s will go in this. I am going to add panel lines, weathering and dullcote to give it a more scale look. I will repaint the thrust nozzles and heat sheilding with metalizer and add some nose gear doors to finish her off. Its going to be nice to have a scale jet as my daily flyer
bri6672 is offline Find More Posts by bri6672
Old Feb 06, 2013, 04:47 PM
Joined Jul 2009
536 Posts
Quote:
Whats the setup youre trying to get? On the stock setup Ive seen the F4 phantom fly with a 6s 6000mah pack

Im running 8s but Im using the Efflux RC mega motor upgrade, in the eflite housing with 2 x4s packs and I wouldn't go higher than 4500mah packs. Its a hot setup, so throttle management is needed.
I have the Habu32 with the same setup as you do. I have been tossing around what setup to run in the F-4. On the fence between the JetFan80 on 6s, 8s or the same setup we have on 8s.

I just thought that 2 4s packs were making these birds too nose heavy without some added ballast weight in the rear.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 06, 2013, 05:29 PM
Joined Sep 2011
746 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bri6672 View Post
Well mine showed up today, looks real nice! I lost my habu32 a few weeks ago so my jetfan80 on 6s will go in this. I am going to add panel lines, weathering and dullcote to give it a more scale look. I will repaint the thrust nozzles and heat sheilding with metalizer and add some nose gear doors to finish her off. Its going to be nice to have a scale jet as my daily flyer
Hi Bri6672, sounds like it would end up looking awesome.

I wanted to do something similar but I don't have much experience weathering a kit like this, can you share how you intend to do the panel lines? For weathering I've heard steel wool is what is needed and then airbrush the dirty look, I don't have an airbrush so I'm looking at other options. Also dull cote would just be sprayed at the end once you are done right? Thanks!
Old Feb 06, 2013, 05:36 PM
low, left, & fast
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Joined Dec 2004
147 Posts
Just maidened mine yesterday with a JetFan 80/HET700-60-2085 and Gens Ace 6s3300c35. Right at 7.0 lbs. The sound is perfect. It's not as quiet as a Stu, but I think it sounds more like a jet. Of course the true sound would be a JetCat P20 like what Tam is running, but I don't have that kinda donero. Plenty of performance and still very scale. 3.5 to 4 minute flights. Will fine tune thru the next few weeks and increase to 5000 packs.

Got my fan and motor from Mike @ Performance EDF... Great service!
nuts-n-volts is offline Find More Posts by nuts-n-volts
Last edited by nuts-n-volts; Feb 06, 2013 at 06:48 PM. Reason: sp
Old Feb 06, 2013, 05:57 PM
San Diego
Joined Jul 2009
2,281 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Castel101 View Post
Hi Bri6672, sounds like it would end up looking awesome.

I wanted to do something similar but I don't have much experience weathering a kit like this, can you share how you intend to do the panel lines? For weathering I've heard steel wool is what is needed and then airbrush the dirty look, I don't have an airbrush so I'm looking at other options. Also dull cote would just be sprayed at the end once you are done right? Thanks!
Hey Castel,

What I do is pretty simple, I start with painting the nozzles and heat shielding with testors metallizer enamel with an airbrush and let it dry completely, then you can buff it and maybe use a scouring pad to get the look you want. Then use some art pencils and I draw on all the panel lines based on the full scale blue prints which are pretty easy to find online. I then use Tamiya smoke acrylic and use a fine airbrush and lightly shoot all the panel lines, the nice thing about the acrylic is its water soluble so you can just wipe off mistakes and wont ruin the enamel underneath. Once everything is dry I use a very light coat of Testors Dullcote to seal in all the paints, pencil markings and decals.

Now you can do more with different paint colors and steel wool but I have been pretty happy with the results I mentioned here.

Here are a few examples of the technique on an old F-20 I used to have:

bri6672 is offline Find More Posts by bri6672
Old Feb 06, 2013, 06:36 PM
low, left, & fast
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Joined Dec 2004
147 Posts
Very nice, Bri. I like the enamel underneath part.
nuts-n-volts is offline Find More Posts by nuts-n-volts