HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 26, 2012, 08:17 PM
United States, SC, Fort Mill
Joined Aug 2011
9 Posts
Discussion
DIY Quad Frame hits snafu...

Iím trying to build a frame that uses the centerpiece top plate of the original HK frame. I want to fly in the + config. My problem is that the 4 corners of the control board would mount right where I need the 4 arms to go. I donít want the same hardware holding the board down and going through the arms. Iím concerned that a hard crash will damage the board. Any ideas?

Yes Ė those are pencils as arms (see attached) Ė itís a work in progress
srs5150 is offline Find More Posts by srs5150
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 26, 2012, 08:29 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2010
11,764 Posts
Mount it as + and use delta mixing on tx.
timecop is offline Find More Posts by timecop
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Apr 26, 2012, 09:27 PM
Fairly Stable
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Mar 2012
56 Posts
I had the same concern, mounting it in + but not wanting to use the same hardware to hold the board and arms together.

I used small rubber grommets to support the board, attached with zip ties. Check the pic.

I would have used duct tape for everything instead of zip ties, but I was out of PBR.
SatelliteBiker is offline Find More Posts by SatelliteBiker
Old Apr 26, 2012, 09:32 PM
Fairly Stable
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Mar 2012
56 Posts
Oh, and the other way to mount it is start a "stack".
That is, mount another plate to the top of your frame, by using the holes at 45degs to the arms. The controller then mounts to that plate.

Use the plastic "hex spacers" that are used with electronics/computers. The only gotcha is ensuring the final screws/threaded bits are long enough to go through your plate material and engage enough threads to be secure in the spacer.
SatelliteBiker is offline Find More Posts by SatelliteBiker
Old Apr 26, 2012, 09:47 PM
United States, MD, Frederick
Joined Aug 2010
388 Posts
All the cool kids fly X mode.
kauaicuda is offline Find More Posts by kauaicuda
Old Apr 30, 2012, 10:46 AM
United States, SC, Fort Mill
Joined Aug 2011
9 Posts
I'm not smart enough to take timecop's advice, and I'm definitely not one of the cool kids so i think i'm goin' with stackin at a 45. Thanks for all your replies!
srs5150 is offline Find More Posts by srs5150