HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 11, 2012, 07:39 PM
Redneck Injuneer
Bradenton, Florida
Joined Aug 2007
6,141 Posts
I actually got a better shot overhead this evening after putting the shortened stingers back on Phil.

Ordered the Speedmaster bushings from OSE today and in the meanwhile robbed one from my mono to do the setup on the stingers. I basically honed the inside of the stingers to a very snug fit with a piece of 220 grit paper wrapped around a 1/8" dowel. Cleaned the insides thoroughly with spray brake cleaner and let it dry. Cut a couple pieces of 1/4" brass tube to act as sleeves for the bushing and roughed them up with some 150 grit paper. After coating the outside of the 1/4" brass with Loctite 603 dropped them in from the front side then used a 1/4 to 3/16 stub as a driver to seat them flush with the back sides of the stingers.
bill34207 is online now Find More Posts by bill34207
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 11, 2012, 07:43 PM
Scottskis' Laminates
Parrish, FL
Joined Oct 2010
126 Posts
And youre not sure it will be back together before the 4th Sunday huh Bill? lookin good.
Tiqueman is offline Find More Posts by Tiqueman
Old Jun 11, 2012, 08:51 PM
Redneck Injuneer
Bradenton, Florida
Joined Aug 2007
6,141 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiqueman View Post
And youre not sure it will be back together before the 4th Sunday huh Bill? lookin good.
Well... I do have to wait for the 6s 4000's that I ordered today. Even from the US warehouse seems like it always takes about 2 weeks for them to get around to packing and shipping my stuff.

Still gotta s/b a few props too. I already have a pair of raw X442's that I'd kind of like to try on 6s. Think I might already have an extra X447 laying around to replace the one the pond monster ate Sunday too.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 13, 2012, 09:51 AM
United States, NY, Rochester
Joined Jul 2011
278 Posts
bill did you see what is up for sale in the classified section?
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1671033
wagondriver42 is offline Find More Posts by wagondriver42
Old Jun 13, 2012, 05:20 PM
Redneck Injuneer
Bradenton, Florida
Joined Aug 2007
6,141 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wagondriver42 View Post
bill did you see what is up for sale in the classified section?
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1671033
Yeah, I saw that this morning. He actually emailed me a link to his ebay ad a couple of days ago in case I might be interested in having it back. I have no desire to own it again though. It's like I told him when he was wanting it. It makes a good dragster but doesn't corner worth a crap.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 17, 2012, 09:55 AM
Redneck Injuneer
Bradenton, Florida
Joined Aug 2007
6,141 Posts
Guess it's about time for an update on this one. I finished up the mods to it yesterday.
Wound up pulling the stingers back off again and adding in the transom wedges that I originally left out. Without them I could barely get the stingers to neutral with the hull bottom with them at full up adjustment. Not sure I'm much beter off with them in because now I can barely get the stingers to neutral with them at full down adjustment.
I got lucky on a reverse wind Hughey cable. Went to South River last week (after finding my spare was actually a standard lay that I'd stuck back in the bag with a R label) The site showed they were not in stock but ordered one anyways. Much to my surprise it shipped the same day and arrived in yesterdays mail.
Hobby King made a liar out of me, too. According to UPS tracking my 6s 4000's should show up Wednesday so this one will be ready for 6s testing at our normal run day next Sunday.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 17, 2012, 10:23 AM
Danmark, Sjælland, Sorø
Joined May 2011
433 Posts
Good luck bill
bostong is offline Find More Posts by bostong
Old Jun 17, 2012, 10:58 PM
Joined Apr 2012
280 Posts
I did the same thing with south river. It said "estimated arrival, 7 days" or something like that...I checked that for maybe a few weeks with no change, then finally just ordered and it was shipped the next day.
Pseudonym is offline Find More Posts by Pseudonym
Old Jun 18, 2012, 03:17 AM
Lets get the HUEY up
bolton england
Joined Jan 2009
235 Posts
looks good bill have you fitted prop savers ???
madphil is offline Find More Posts by madphil
Old Jun 18, 2012, 04:27 AM
Redneck Injuneer
Bradenton, Florida
Joined Aug 2007
6,141 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by madphil View Post
looks good bill have you fitted prop savers ???
Going to have to show my ignorance and say that if I did I wasn't aware of it.
I set the shafts up with X447's with about 3 threads showing after the nut. With the 442's I cut a couple pieces of tygon line to take up some of the open shaft space to keep thread count about the same.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 18, 2012, 01:50 PM
Lets get the HUEY up
bolton england
Joined Jan 2009
235 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill34207 View Post
Going to have to show my ignorance and say that if I did I wasn't aware of it. .
Theres many ways of doing this,. the simple waterside way is to remove the stinger with shaft still fitted put a ring of ca glue round the shaft after the bearing let it set then refit shaft , the glue will be enough to stop the shaft pulling through the bearing if the flex comes loose or breaks

a more perminant way is to glue a small section of brass tube in the same place just make sure there is enough clearance in the stuffing tube so it won't bind ( sometimes you have to cut a bit out of the PTFE liner to clear )

you will NEVER loose a prop again !!!!!!!!!

( there is a greater chance of loosing a shaft on a twin setup the boat will keep driving and drag the other shaft out )
madphil is offline Find More Posts by madphil
Last edited by madphil; Jun 18, 2012 at 02:02 PM.
Old Jun 19, 2012, 08:25 PM
Redneck Injuneer
Bradenton, Florida
Joined Aug 2007
6,141 Posts
Guess I can safely say that I haven't fitted it with prop savers Phil. Actually I don't think one would have helped me on the one I lost since the flex let go just in front of the stub shaft.

I've heard it said that the tygon like I used for spacers can save one if the prop nut comes off (1/8" id tube more or less threaded onto a 3/16" shaft) but I don't hold a lot of faith in it. I used it to avoid having the force a good stong locknut that many more turns down the stub.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 01, 2012, 01:43 PM
Redneck Injuneer
Bradenton, Florida
Joined Aug 2007
6,141 Posts
Shortening the stingers really helped the cornering on this one. It will turn at wot and on 6s with X442's gps'd at 60 and some change on it's 1st run today.

There may be some gopro vid of it later shot by Jeremy on it's 2nd run. Brian had a pair of c/r Fightercat 445's he wanted me to try on it. gps only said 55 with those though.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 01, 2012, 03:51 PM
Joined Apr 2012
280 Posts
60mph is perfect for this cat. Congrats, glad you got it worked out. This thing should be great when it comes to a fun-to-run boat. I need to get around to building mine one of these days...
Pseudonym is offline Find More Posts by Pseudonym
Old Jul 02, 2012, 05:34 AM
Redneck Injuneer
Bradenton, Florida
Joined Aug 2007
6,141 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pseudonym View Post
60mph is perfect for this cat. Congrats, glad you got it worked out. This thing should be great when it comes to a fun-to-run boat. I need to get around to building mine one of these days...
Still not totally worked out. When I pulled the shafts found a lump/distoroin about mid way up on the standard rotation flex. Thinking I'll order another Hughey in standard rotation for that side as I'm not even sure of what make flex that one is. (Think it's an OSE brand but not positive) It was just one that was on my box. If putting a Hughey in doesn't fix it I'll probably have to replace the stuffing tube on that side (although alignment is good).

You're absolutely right about it being a fun to run boat at 60. In smooth water like we had yesterday you don't even really have to let off the throttle for the whole run. Biggest problem I has with it was at the left hand end of the front straight where the spray from the props would hide the boat as it started into the turn.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by bill34207; Jul 02, 2012 at 05:43 PM. Reason: added photo