HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 26, 2012, 02:53 PM
Joined May 2011
6 Posts
Discussion
Help: Brand new UMX gee bee ailerons going same direction.

Hello, I had purchased a new gee bee off a member off here, plane arrived mint and just as described never flown or even inboxed so I know this is not his doing, upon powering it up and binding it with the stock umx tx from my other rtf umx planes I noticed both ailerons are going the same direction, I did some searches and tried doing some of the tx stick programming but was. It able to resolve the problem. Anyone have any ideals soni can get this thing in the air, tomorrow is Friday!
Thanks in advance.
2yy4u is offline Find More Posts by 2yy4u
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 26, 2012, 03:13 PM
leliommarino
United States, MA
Joined Nov 2007
656 Posts
U might have flaperon's on
leliommarino is offline Find More Posts by leliommarino
Old Apr 26, 2012, 06:01 PM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,481 Posts
It's a bit tricky sometime... Here's the user manual for the AR6400 receiver:
http://www.spektrumrc.com/ProdInfo/F...-Manual_EN.pdf

The interesting parts are on page 7, "Reversing Linear Servos" and page 8 "To Change CH6 to a Reversed CH2 for Dual Ailerons or Reversed CH2 to
CH6"

The trick is: you have to try one first only. (reversing servo OR Change CH6 to reverse CH2). If that doesn't fix the problem right away, do the same thing again to flip it back and do the second thing. If that doesn't work, you have to try both at the same time. Sometime the order you do them is important as well, so basically, you do them a few times, and if you get lucky, suddenly, your ailerons will work properly.
RealGambler is offline Find More Posts by RealGambler
Old Apr 26, 2012, 07:12 PM
Joined May 2011
6 Posts
Okay great, that sounded pretty confusing to me lol, but imma try to do that and hopefully it will work. I called HH and they said they never heard of this issue and didnt know of any fix other then a servo reverser and send me one but they are out of stock so I would have to wait.. Well shoot I want to go fly this thing don't feel like waiting a month for a 2 dolla part so hopefully this will work.
Thanks again for the info!
Old Apr 26, 2012, 07:22 PM
West of California Speedway, East of LaLa, North of Disneyland
Joined May 2001
2,309 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealGambler View Post
It's a bit tricky sometime....................The interesting parts are on page 7, "Reversing Linear Servos" and page 8 "To Change CH6 to a Reversed CH2 for Dual Ailerons or Reversed CH2 to CH6". The trick is: you have to try one first only. (reversing servo OR Change CH6 to reverse CH2). If that doesn't fix the problem right away, do the same thing again to flip it back and do the second thing. If that doesn't work, you have to try both at the same time. Sometime the order you do them is important as well, so basically, you do them a few times, and if you get lucky, suddenly, your ailerons will work properly.
.......and we tolerate this crap????

This is another reason why I've gone to the DelTang receivers (and I'll admit in public that I have a few HK OrangeRC receivers, too).

Spektrum reminds me of the old addage in Aerospace (where I spent over 45 years) "fire the engineer and send it to production - we'll deal with it later" Except that the "we'll deal with it" becomes "let them deal with it" !!!
356Jim is offline Find More Posts by 356Jim
Old Apr 27, 2012, 05:36 AM
Pilot, Co-pilot, Navagator
United States, AZ, Yuma
Joined Sep 2009
2,781 Posts
i second that. i like the straight forward deltang rx.
nemoskull is offline Find More Posts by nemoskull
Old Apr 27, 2012, 02:35 PM
Electric Coolhunter
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jun 2000
14,582 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 356Jim View Post
.......and we tolerate this crap????

This is another reason why I've gone to the DelTang receivers (and I'll admit in public that I have a few HK OrangeRC receivers, too).

Spektrum reminds me of the old addage in Aerospace (where I spent over 45 years) "fire the engineer and send it to production - we'll deal with it later" Except that the "we'll deal with it" becomes "let them deal with it" !!!
I have never had any issues with doing the internal programming.

While the Deltang RXs are nice, they are not wearing as many hats as the little AR6400 family of RXs are wearing, HH is making the units as flexible as possible, to work with the stock cheapie TXs as well as the full family of Spektrum capable higher end radios.

The internal programming gives great flexibility in how the units work for those that do not have a fancy programmable Tx.

Sounds like a real feature to me and not a fault.
Thomas B is offline Find More Posts by Thomas B
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2014 events and travel
Old Apr 27, 2012, 10:47 PM
West of California Speedway, East of LaLa, North of Disneyland
Joined May 2001
2,309 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas B View Post
I have never had any issues with doing the internal programming.................Sounds like a real feature to me and not a fault.
Thomas, ever try to program elevons with a 6400? Connect a brushless ESC and have "normal" throttle range? Until you do, you, too will live in the dark about them................

Give me a 4, 5, 6 channel receiver that is obedient to the transmitter, whether a "computer TX", or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas B View Post
...............While the Deltang RXs are nice, they are not wearing as many hats as the little AR6400 family of RXs are wearing, HH is making the units as flexible as possible........................
I have 7 DT Rx's. You are obviously oblivious of the incredible programming capabilities that David T has designed into them.

C'Mon, boy, step out of the darkside and enjoy the freedom that the sunshine of truth provides.
356Jim is offline Find More Posts by 356Jim
Last edited by 356Jim; Apr 27, 2012 at 10:54 PM.
Old Apr 28, 2012, 06:07 PM
Joined Jun 2009
57 Posts
I was out flying my GeeBee today. Great out side, but too fast for my reactions inside.
The aileron servos plug into channel 2 and reversed channel 2.
It sounds like one of your aileron servos is reversed.
I have attached the instructions for reversing a servo.
The reversing link comes with a AS2000 servo.
This consists of merely a servo extension with the signal and plus tied together.
See the attached jpg.
Stew.Meyers is offline Find More Posts by Stew.Meyers
Old Apr 28, 2012, 06:16 PM
Joined Jun 2009
57 Posts
Looks like the instructions didn't up load.Name: Servo reverse inst.jpg
Views: 62
Size: 28.3 KB
Description:
Old Apr 29, 2012, 03:24 PM
Joined Jun 2009
57 Posts
I don't know if you could read that instruction.
Here it is:
Reversing Optional 1.5-Gram Servo
Reversing the servo is useful when implementing certain installations, such as dual ailerons, flaps, etc
Spektrum offers a servo reversing lead that can be plugged between the receiver and the optional 1.5-gram servo.
Note: All changes made in advanced programming must start with the receiver powered down to prevent
the motor from running unexpectedly.
To safely accomplish advanced programming feature changes, please enlist the use of a helper. One to
hold the aircraft to prevent unintended flyaways, and one to make the changes on the transmitter.
To reverse servo using the reversing lead:
1. Plug the reversing lead into the servo
2. Plug servo into CH2 or Reversed CH2/CH6 ports
3. Power receiver using a charged battery
4. Once receiver connects, the servo is now reversed
5. Disconnect battery from receiver
6. Remove servo reversing lead (be sure to store your reversing lead in a safe place for future use)
7. Reinstall servo lead into servo port

If you put a switch between the battery and the receiver you don't need a second body.

For that matter you don't even need the receiver.

The servo is reversed if power is supplied to it with the signal shorted to the positive lead. You don't need the the receiver or reversing lead to do this.
If you have a female JST-SH connector with the correct connections, plugging this between the servo and a single cell lipo will reverse the servo.
This can be done as many times as you wish. After each application of power you will hear the servo buzz and it is reversed.
Old May 01, 2012, 03:21 AM
Joined May 2011
6 Posts
That's all the actual reverse lead is? Hell if I knew that I couldmhave saved my self 2 bucks, I found one at my lhs and allmisngood now,nhad a blast flying it until.... Darn battery came loose off the Velcro andante tangled up in the elevator and rudder linkages I had barley any controll of the elevator and the plane was stuck doing circles lol it landed in the grass finally afternincutnpower and just helplessly watched it tumble to the ground, broke a landing gear that's about it, glued it up and out a rubber and around the battery and the tray and was out flying again. Love the plane!