Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Apr 27, 2012, 12:28 AM
Stuart
UK, Cardiff
Joined Dec 2008
3,160 Posts
There is quite a big differance, FSK is direct keying of the transmitter to generate the RTTY, where as what you are doing is generating the audio tones directly and sending them.

Either RTTY or Morse will work here, but if the link quality is going to be poor, then with Morse you can slow it right down and read it by ear under very weak signal conditions. Even if you cant read it yourself by ear then record it and someone else will be able to, helpful backup if we are talking about finding a lost plane.

Bear in mind that RTTY is normally sent at 45.5 baud, which is a great deal slower than a GPS sending out data at its slowest speed, some will go down to 2400baud, some only to 4800baud. Thus you need to read in a string from the GPS, buffer it, and send it out at the much slower RTTY rate.

The approach I adopted in the locator I gave the link to earlier, was a standalone transmitter with its own GPS, after all if you loose a plane becuase the video link goes down, your not going to get the fix info back either.

Sending out the entire GPS string as RTTY is also going to take quite a while, sending out distance and direction is only about 8 characters, enough to work out where your plane has gone.
srnet is offline Find More Posts by srnet
to remove ads between posts