Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Apr 26, 2012, 12:22 PM
Sweden, Stockholm County, Sollentuna
Joined Aug 2010
211 Posts
Discussion
How to make controlled landings with a RET-glider?

Hi

I recently got a Fling 2M from Great Planes and I just love it. There is just one drawback - the glide is so much better than my previous glider that I have trouble to land on the short cut grass, let alone at my intended spot.

Could you please share your experience in how to increase precision in landing with a RET.

Thanks in advance for any advice

/Stefan
SBS_Pilot is offline Find More Posts by SBS_Pilot
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 26, 2012, 12:49 PM
Joined Jan 2008
4,340 Posts
Stefan:

I am currently flying a Rudder/Elevator DLG with a rather high performance wing, so I know the problem.

Basic Approach Tip #1: fly S-turns as you approach the field.
Basic Approach Tip #2: fly slower on short final.
Basic Approach Tip #3: practice - a lot!

Good luck!

Yours, Greg
glidermang is offline Find More Posts by glidermang
Old Apr 26, 2012, 01:09 PM
Duane
No. VA
Joined Nov 2004
1,368 Posts
Do you use a brake on the ESC to stop the propeller? You might try programming a switch to increase the throttle enough to disable the brake (or move the throttle stick up a few clicks), so the prop windmills. Not enough to really apply power, just so the prop will turn in the slipstream. You'll probably find that adds enough drag to make a steeper approach.
Wazmo is online now Find More Posts by Wazmo
Old Apr 26, 2012, 01:15 PM
No conspiracy in theory
Oak Ridge, Tenn.
Joined Aug 2004
3,618 Posts
I have an Ascent and a very small landing zone,
At about 20' altitude, and always the same distance from me,I begin about a 50' circle (left or right, whichever suits me at the time)
and maintain that diameter and speed until about 5' high then I bring the nose up gently (still turning) to bleed off speed. By the time i've made a couple more turns i'm slow and low enough to land.
I begin this at cruise speed and use up trim to slow down.
Mike.
skorski is offline Find More Posts by skorski
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by skorski; Apr 26, 2012 at 01:27 PM.
Old Apr 27, 2012, 09:24 PM
MrE
United States, WA, Gig Harbor
Joined Aug 2007
2,028 Posts
Add spoilers
MrE is offline Find More Posts by MrE
Old Apr 27, 2012, 11:00 PM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,040 Posts
Use a flat approach and carry the speed you need to be sure you get home then touch ground and slide, letting the ground scrub off the speed.
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
Old Apr 28, 2012, 05:00 AM
Sweden, Stockholm County, Sollentuna
Joined Aug 2010
211 Posts
Thank you all for your advices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glidermang View Post
Stefan:
Basic Approach Tip #1: fly S-turns as you approach the field.
Basic Approach Tip #2: fly slower on short final.
Basic Approach Tip #3: practice - a lot!
Good tips. How large do you make your S-turns? Are the intention to increase the flightpath or to bleed height through hard banking?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wazmo View Post
Do you use a brake on the ESC to stop the propeller? You might try programming a switch to increase the throttle enough to disable the brake (or move the throttle stick up a few clicks), so the prop windmills. Not enough to really apply power, just so the prop will turn in the slipstream. You'll probably find that adds enough drag to make a steeper approach.
Thanks. That might make it simpler to hit the runway. I see now that I forgot to mention that I want to learn precision landings to be able to participate in postal thermal duration competitions, and then I think this approach will be illegal? Good for my everyday sport-flying though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skorski View Post
I have an Ascent and a very small landing zone,
At about 20' altitude, and always the same distance from me,I begin about a 50' circle (left or right, whichever suits me at the time)
and maintain that diameter and speed until about 5' high then I bring the nose up gently (still turning) to bleed off speed. By the time i've made a couple more turns i'm slow and low enough to land.
I begin this at cruise speed and use up trim to slow down.
Mike.
Yes, this has been my primary strategy, but far from as structured as yours. I will try your method next time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrE View Post
Add spoilers
Yes, I probably will. But I just bought her and I don't dare to start cut in that nicely covered wing yet. I hope to get courage enough to do it next winter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeajr View Post
Use a flat approach and carry the speed you need to be sure you get home then touch ground and slide, letting the ground scrub off the speed.
Yes, this seems to be a good idea for sportflying. As I said a couple of lines above, I forgot to mention I want to learn precision landings - could this method be applied then? In my attempts so far I get very different lengths of the slide, so I don't get much precision (even after touchdown).
SBS_Pilot is offline Find More Posts by SBS_Pilot
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 28, 2012, 12:58 PM
LSF303 / AMA Life Member
USA, IL, Wheeling
Joined Jan 2003
3,097 Posts
Really, practice is all that is required. It doesn't really matter what you're flying, with enough practice you should be able to land the plane at your feet whether you have spoilers, flaps or just rudder and elevator.

I can land a Gentle Lady, Icon or Habu EDF power-off at my feet ... it's all so much energy management. Once you have flown a plane a number of times, you should have a pretty good idea how to fly an approach to put the model where you want it.
tkallev is offline Find More Posts by tkallev
Old Apr 28, 2012, 01:54 PM
Gravity is a harsh mistress.
United States, MI, Temperance
Joined Sep 2002
6,534 Posts
Practice...practice...practice. In a variety of conditions.
It is energy management. Even flying airplane with "crutches" like spoilers and flaps. I'm regularly flying an AvA. My first spoiler equipped sailplane. It is a landing machine and I only use the spoiler on landing when I screw-up the energy management.

If you have a computer TX, setup a mix or flight mode that will add about two/three clicks of down trim that you can activate as a landing mode. It will help with keeping the nose down and the energy up. "Ballooning" and losing all your energy/speed when turning on final are where most R/E sailplanes miss the landing.
Tim Wolff is online now Find More Posts by Tim Wolff
Old Apr 28, 2012, 05:21 PM
Joined Nov 2005
3,522 Posts
Actually, on a RE only aircraft, I do just the opposite from Tim, I use AOA (Angle of Attack) to create drag. On the downwind part of the pattern, I want to slow up the ship and get it dragy with positive AOA, and that is the prototypical airliner approach attitude. With practice you can do it and you will find a sweet spot that you can control but it will eat up some altitude for you and be slow enough for time to think. Even on my full house ships, when flaps are deployed, I do not bury the nose with down trim, I will let it rise a bit and start to use up more energy if i am in the wrong side of the approach cone, the high side.

Marc
R.M. Gellart is offline Find More Posts by R.M. Gellart
Old Apr 29, 2012, 02:34 AM
USA, MO, Ozark
Joined Nov 2006
1,460 Posts
In Thornberg's book ( http://carstensbookstore.com/oldbusobobyd.html) he refers to a "magic window". An area you need to fly throught to land where you want.
Found by imagining and LOTS of practice. We all have done this in training where you setup your landing.
Try your appraoaches using little or no elevator to extend the flight or wiggle the rudder to decrease the glide as mentioned before.
I am gonna try the windmilling the prop though :-) Sounds like a good trick
ozmo01 is offline Find More Posts by ozmo01
Old May 09, 2012, 03:22 PM
Joined Mar 2010
1,337 Posts
I have/had the same problem as my gliders got better at gliding.. My answer is to start my final further out... Nothing helps dump excess altitude like a good tight turn...Just be real sure that you have the airspeed to complete the turn w/o stalling (keep the nose down)..

Don't know about you, but one of the things I really enjoy is watching a sailplane fly forever in ground effect...Adding a little side slip in a crosswind just sweetens the deal
rtbates is offline Find More Posts by rtbates
Old May 09, 2012, 06:13 PM
S. FL
Joined Jan 2007
839 Posts
OVSS post #10 is pretty much how I do it with my Radian ie AOA. For me if I'm high in the pattern I will fly a larger pattern to loose a bit of altitude or if I'm a bit low I will fly a closer pattern and once I have made my turn to final at an altitude I know I can reach the landing zone I start to increase or decrease the AOA to adjust my decent rate and speed. On breezy days you will want to stay fairly close in and maybe a bit high on final as the headwind and any increased AOA will get the sink rate way up there and your forward speed (ground speed) will become almost 0 ie you may not reach the landing zone. On most occasions with this technique I can land the plane fairly close to my feet or where I am standing or just catch it in my hand, but it does take practice. And it is also a great teaching tool as to how AOA (drag) changes the glide performace of a sailplane.
Libelle201B is offline Find More Posts by Libelle201B
Last edited by Libelle201B; May 09, 2012 at 06:19 PM.
Old May 11, 2012, 07:25 AM
Joined Jan 2008
4,340 Posts
SBS_Pilot:

I hadn't paid attention, so neglected to answer your last question.

For S-turns, the intent is to (as you suggested) increase the flight path. Gentle turns to avoid stalling. This technique also applies to full-scale flying, and is what I used to use when landing out in sailplanes (even sailplanes with effective spoilers).

Something else I neglected to include, but should have: it helps a lot to have a landing pattern, just like full-scale. Flying downwind, base leg and final approach gives the pilot (on-board or RC) a full spectrum of clues about the landing approach and where the airplane ought to be.

Ironically, once you make a landing pattern both practice and habit, it becomes much easier to employ variations with safety.

Yours, Greg
glidermang is offline Find More Posts by glidermang
Old May 11, 2012, 08:11 AM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2011
530 Posts
Radio.Active is offline Find More Posts by Radio.Active
Last edited by Radio.Active; Jun 12, 2013 at 06:44 PM.