HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 22, 2012, 07:57 PM
Joined Jun 2012
357 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanleyy View Post
hey,
it is not a starship with laser gyroscopes, it is a 500 Euro device I did about 30 flights with ecilop and I didn't observe any problems related to gimbal and wind. When I saw some wobble, it was always a problem of FC, not gimbal in the middle. We all are using quite cheap hardware (gyro/servo), so it is not a surprise that the results are not top-notch. I would also like to see a setup with military grade components, but I don't think someone is going to invest that much
At the moment it seems that we are unable to get Zenmus-like output from it (some shots are not far from it, but longer sequences are quite difficult to do). If that is what you are looking for, then you must search elsewhere.
I think Ecilop is a great piece of hardware and you won't regret if you buy it.

Stanleyy..I am also looking to get as much information as I can before getting a new frame. From what I've seen Nyc's hoverly combination looks very close to zenmuse if its not post stabilized. I think there is potential in this sort of stabilization but unfortunately its not completely tuned in by Alexey. I'm waiting to see more of the chinese clone and than decide what to do. I certainly wont spend zenmuse money even if I had it.
gondoflier is offline Find More Posts by gondoflier
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 22, 2012, 09:47 PM
Joined Oct 2012
203 Posts
Just saying, I think it's better to support the original than clones. That better supports further innovation. But there is definitely a lot of config involved so I get that.
InfinitR is offline Find More Posts by InfinitR
Old Oct 23, 2012, 03:05 AM
www.flycamera.de
Joined Sep 2012
46 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycewheels View Post
I have both lenses. The 16mm of course hides jerky movements better, the wider - the easier to get stable looking footage. The 18-55mm looks more natural but needs the rig to be dialed in better. If you think your rig is already perfect, slide the lens out to 55mm and fly again
Yes, the extra weight seems to help a little but i would rather strap on a larger battery than stacks of glass. An 18mm prime would be perfect for my needs.
Have you tried the 19mm Sigma? I haven´t put to the ecilop so far, but IMO it gives a lot better results in stills and movies than the stock 16mm.
Nordcopter is offline Find More Posts by Nordcopter
Old Oct 23, 2012, 05:50 AM
kitesurfer
United Kingdom, Blackpool
Joined Dec 2005
1,587 Posts
Ecilop Testing. 5-7mph wind. dull light (3 min 30 sec)
AliB is offline Find More Posts by AliB
Old Oct 23, 2012, 05:55 AM
kitesurfer
Joined Dec 2005
1,587 Posts
gonna put some more expo on the rudder to make it smoother, but i was just flying around to see what the footage would come out like. just converted from 1080 50p to 720 25p.
Old Oct 23, 2012, 06:16 AM
Slovakia
Joined Nov 2010
1,244 Posts
AliB,
that is looking awesome! :-) Great job setting up your gimbal! That is what I actually wanted to see. Thanks!
alek3d is offline Find More Posts by alek3d
Old Oct 23, 2012, 06:20 AM
Slovenská republika, Bratislavský kraj, Bratislava - Podunajské Biskupice
Joined Feb 2011
830 Posts
looks like your gyro+servo combo is working fine there is some offset caused by FC loop, but that is not so important.. looks good to me.
what about fast descend, how does it behave?
stanleyy is offline Find More Posts by stanleyy
Old Oct 23, 2012, 06:25 AM
kitesurfer
Joined Dec 2005
1,587 Posts
heres wind readings from when i was flying... bout 830am-9

havent tried fast decent yet. not sure if ive got enough power to come out of a fast decent. did try a gps return to home. worked nice
Old Oct 23, 2012, 06:33 AM
Joined Feb 2011
830 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliB View Post
heres wind readings from when i was flying... bout 830am-9

havent tried fast decent yet. not sure if ive got enough power to come out of a fast decent. did try a gps return to home. worked nice
I didn't mean fall from the sky, just a normal usable descend.. My Naza is very stubborn and doesn't want to go down so easily.. And in most cases it wobbles when it is descending...
Old Oct 23, 2012, 06:34 AM
Slovakia
Joined Nov 2010
1,244 Posts
Quote:
maybe there is some problem with PPM signal from Naza. Did you try to reduce speed to 200 or even 50Hz in Naza configurator?
You should also try to install custom firmware into GY520, there you can adjust really everything...
Naza DOES have really "bad" PWM for servos. Known issue about which DJI does not give a crap. I was told "Naza does not like some servos", what a joke!

Another known issue is descent wobble. You can't fix it. You can make it better or worse by settings, heavier copters wobble less but they do no matter what your settings are.

Check this out and turn your volume up to hear that crap. First part servo connected to MultiWii at 300 Hz, second part I reconnect roll servo to Naza at 400 Hz (refresh rate actually does not matter, Naza sucks at any freq). MKS servos a kind of work better with Naza.
Last edited by alek3d; Oct 23, 2012 at 09:07 AM.
Old Oct 23, 2012, 06:39 AM
Joined Feb 2011
830 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alek3d View Post
Naza DOES have really "bad" PPM for servos. Known issue about which DJI does not give a crap. I was told "Naza does not like some servos", what a joke!

Another known issue is descent wobble. You can't fix it. You can make it better or worse by settings, heavier copters wobble less but they do no matter what your settings are.

Check this out and turn your volume up to hear that crap. First part servo connected to MultiWii at 300 Hz, second part I reconnect roll servo to Naza at 400 Hz (refresh rate actually does not matter, Naza sucks at any freq). MKS servos a kind of work better with Naza.
hm, I increased pitch/roll gains and the descend wobble improoved a lot.. but I agree, it is not what I expected from a device that costs 500 Euro with GPS.
What controller are you using instead of Naza?
Old Oct 23, 2012, 06:39 AM
kitesurfer
Joined Dec 2005
1,587 Posts
not had any real wobbling while normal decending. could be due to using 11" prop instead of 12. higher prop loading.
i got my gains around 140 and attitude at 80ish

what does yaw gain change? not really played with that at all. just left it at 100
Old Oct 23, 2012, 06:45 AM
Slovakia
Joined Nov 2010
1,244 Posts
Quote:
hm, I increased pitch/roll gains and the descend wobble improoved a lot.. but I agree, it is not what I expected from a device that costs 500 Euro with GPS.
What controller are you using instead of Naza?
I am still using Naza. Except those two things is't a great controller otherwise (I had KK, MWCs and FreeFlight). Exceptional alt and pos hold, auto level, much better than MultiWii. I am lurking in Autoquad thread, that FC looks promising, but initial calibration sounds like a bit of headache. Pricing about same as Naza + GPS and a lot more features.
Old Oct 23, 2012, 07:50 AM
Japan, Tokyo, Chiyoda
Joined Oct 2010
239 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSky View Post
I've flown a NEX-5N with Samyang 14mm lens - 910g all up. It was only for stills and needed 3 batteries to balance it (so another 350g to the aircraft weight). It flew, using T-motor 4008s and 14x4.7 props but wasn't very sprightly. The Ecilop frame is pretty strong.

You'd need to redesign the landing gear for X8.
Hello Redsky

Can you please comment a bit more on your experience with a 910g payload ?
I also need a better lens (and camera) so I will be looking at similar payloads (even maybe 1.1kg ...)

I will probably wait for the octo, but I am afraid it will be a non-foldable monster to transport (no car in tokyo ...) ... so if I can make it with the quad ...
alainphoto is offline Find More Posts by alainphoto
Old Oct 23, 2012, 09:05 AM
Joined Jan 2011
1,069 Posts
If you mod the arms to be a 8 (not x8) you don't have to redesign the landing gear.
I have an idea, but not enough motors, time to build it. Easy build by the way, using the same style as ecilop frame. :-). So it won't look ugly.
nicodh is offline Find More Posts by nicodh
RCG Plus Member