HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 17, 2012, 05:57 AM
Joined Aug 2012
334 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanleyy View Post
you must calibrate your transmitter first, there is a button for that in Naza Assistant. Just click the calibration button and move your sticks up and down so the software can measure maximum deviation of your sticks.
The Assistant didn't respond to TX stick movements while the error was flagged up. However I started all over again and reset everything inc drivers and - success (although I've no idea what I changed that made this work!), I have now calibrated my sticks and reversed the appropriate channels. I haven't completely figured out failsafe modes yet, so back to the manual to set that up...

Quote:
And I forgot one thing: when you are connected to the Assistant, you can't arm motors! I spent some hard time till I realized this ) It is a nice safety feature, but sometimes you might need to spin up motors (without propellers), unfortunately this is not possible with connected Assistant.
There are lots of information gaps that can stop things working. I'm gradually ticking them off, but it's a frustrating experience.
TAP993 is offline Find More Posts by TAP993
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 17, 2012, 06:01 AM
Slovenská republika, Bratislavský kraj, Bratislava - Podunajské Biskupice
Joined Feb 2011
821 Posts
I think the manual is one of the best I have ever seen from a Chinese company.
The only thing that was missing was this motor arming issue, but I think later on I have found it somewhere...
If I compare the configuration of Naza to good old times when we were building first quadcopters from plywood or alu tubes and Nintendo controllers, this is really a piece of cake
stanleyy is offline Find More Posts by stanleyy
Old Sep 17, 2012, 11:23 AM
Joined Aug 2012
334 Posts
Quote:
If I compare the configuration of Naza to good old times when we were building first quadcopters from plywood or alu tubes and Nintendo controllers, this is really a piece of cake
Doesn't bear thinking about. Big thanks for your help so far! My progress: I think I've configured the radio correctly now and understood how to reverse and assign switches. And, eureka! my motors actually spin for the first time, and in all 3 modes ( once I'd adjusted U output to 85% each end on the TX). If I put in atti mode spin the motors and wobble the frame I now get the motors trying to adjust their rpm accordingly. What I don't get is any movement at all from the gimball servos. Is this because the red leads from the MEMS gyros are not plugged into anything? I did ask in an earlier post...
Old Sep 17, 2012, 12:13 PM
South Africa, KZN, Durban
Joined Jul 2012
4 Posts
Hey Guys

I'm playing around with what components would be suitable for this frame, looking at costs and which suppliers I need to source from.

As for servos for the roll and pitch axis, would these be suitable? I can get these locally, which is a plus.

HKS-9257 high speed, high torque digital servo:
Dead band: 0.002ms (Default)
Control System: +Pulse Width Control
Working frequence: 1520μs / 80hz Digital mode/Analogy mode
(RX) Required Pulse: 3.0~5.0 Volt Peak to Peak Square Wave
Operating Voltage: 4.8~6.0 Volts DC
Operating Temperature Range: -10 to + 60 Degree C
Operating Speed (4.8V): 0.08 sec/60° degrees at no load
Operating Speed (6.0V): 0.07 sec/60° degrees at no load
Stall Torque (4.8V): 3.8 kg.cm
Stall Torque (6.0V): 4.2 kg.cm
360° Modifiable: NO
Motor Type: Coreless Motor
Potentiometer Drive: Indirect Drive
Driver Type: FET
Bearing Type: Dual Ball Bearings
Gear Type: Plastic gear
Programmable: YES
Connector Wire Length: 18.0
Dimensions: 36x15.3x21.8 mm
Weight: 25 g
http://wifly.co.za/products/7315-hks...x#.UFdZJ40genh
DanZA is offline Find More Posts by DanZA
Old Sep 17, 2012, 12:35 PM
Joined Feb 2011
821 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAP993 View Post
Doesn't bear thinking about. Big thanks for your help so far! My progress: I think I've configured the radio correctly now and understood how to reverse and assign switches. And, eureka! my motors actually spin for the first time, and in all 3 modes ( once I'd adjusted U output to 85% each end on the TX). If I put in atti mode spin the motors and wobble the frame I now get the motors trying to adjust their rpm accordingly. What I don't get is any movement at all from the gimball servos. Is this because the red leads from the MEMS gyros are not plugged into anything? I did ask in an earlier post...
The gyroscope doesn't work if you don't connect all wires. One goes into servo, the other configures gyro sensitivity and mode (normal/heading hold) and the third wire defines the gyro offset + provides power to the gyro and servo.
You must connect servo (that is clear , you have to provide sensitivity signal (otherwise the gyro is disabled) and you must power it and set the offset (it is helicopter gyroscope originally used to compensate tail drift - so what you actually do is that you define the "tail offset" which is in our case the angle of your camera).
I hope it is more clearer to you now.
Old Sep 17, 2012, 04:54 PM
Joined Aug 2012
334 Posts
Quote:
I hope it is more clearer to you now.
Clearer thanks, except I still don't know where to plug it in?!! Where do you plug yours into the AR8000?
Old Sep 17, 2012, 05:03 PM
kitesurfer
United Kingdom, Blackpool
Joined Dec 2005
1,561 Posts
i think this was said earlier in this thread,,,

use a servo tester. this is my plan to free up a channel
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=14774
AliB is offline Find More Posts by AliB
Old Sep 17, 2012, 07:14 PM
Australia, SA, Renmark West
Joined Sep 2011
399 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAP993 View Post
Clearer thanks, except I still don't know where to plug it in?!! Where do you plug yours into the AR8000?
Plug it into whichever output channel you are going to use for gyro gain - I use the Gear channel. Alternatively, as has been suggested a few times, buy a cheap lightwight servo tester, fix it to the aircraft and use that for the gyro gain output.
RedSky is offline Find More Posts by RedSky
Old Sep 17, 2012, 07:17 PM
Australia, SA, Renmark West
Joined Sep 2011
399 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanZA View Post
Hey Guys

I'm playing around with what components would be suitable for this frame, looking at costs and which suppliers I need to source from.

As for servos for the roll and pitch axis, would these be suitable? I can get these locally, which is a plus.

HKS-9257 high speed, high torque digital servo:
Dead band: 0.002ms (Default)
Control System: +Pulse Width Control
Working frequence: 1520μs / 80hz Digital mode/Analogy mode
(RX) Required Pulse: 3.0~5.0 Volt Peak to Peak Square Wave
Operating Voltage: 4.8~6.0 Volts DC
Operating Temperature Range: -10 to + 60 Degree C
Operating Speed (4.8V): 0.08 sec/60° degrees at no load
Operating Speed (6.0V): 0.07 sec/60° degrees at no load
Stall Torque (4.8V): 3.8 kg.cm
Stall Torque (6.0V): 4.2 kg.cm
360° Modifiable: NO
Motor Type: Coreless Motor
Potentiometer Drive: Indirect Drive
Driver Type: FET
Bearing Type: Dual Ball Bearings
Gear Type: Plastic gear
Programmable: YES
Connector Wire Length: 18.0
Dimensions: 36x15.3x21.8 mm
Weight: 25 g
http://wifly.co.za/products/7315-hks...x#.UFdZJ40genh
I think I might be wary of using a plastic gear servo for the Ecilop gimbal as you can accidentally put quite a load on the servos when you are handling and transporting the aircraft.
RedSky is offline Find More Posts by RedSky
Old Sep 18, 2012, 01:49 PM
South Africa, KZN, Durban
Joined Jul 2012
4 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSky View Post
I think I might be wary of using a plastic gear servo for the Ecilop gimbal as you can accidentally put quite a load on the servos when you are handling and transporting the aircraft.
Ahhh, that does make sense. Thanks for the advice.
DanZA is offline Find More Posts by DanZA
Old Sep 18, 2012, 03:00 PM
Joined Feb 2011
821 Posts
Ecilop testing...

guys, on Sunday I did some testing / tuning of my Ecilop frame... Please don't laugh, there is nothing interesting in the following video, I was just trying to tune the setup as good as possible
The horizon is shifted (I could not fix it there, I forgot my laptop at home), but I anyway only wanted to see how well the gimbal works...

There is no stabilization or post processing in the video, except of short sequence from 4:42 to 4:59 (I played a bit with Warp stabilizer and forgot to switch it off).

So here it is:
Sequence 01 1 (14 min 54 sec)
Old Sep 18, 2012, 03:36 PM
Joined Nov 2011
134 Posts
Amazing! Would you like to share your data? Most importantly the gyro/servo combination used with which flight controller. That would be awesome!

That definitely looks close to Zenmuse stuff.
Knilch is online now Find More Posts by Knilch
Old Sep 18, 2012, 03:54 PM
Joined Feb 2011
821 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knilch View Post
Amazing! Would you like to share your data? Most importantly the gyro/servo combination used with which flight controller. That would be awesome!

That definitely looks close to Zenmuse stuff.
Sure! I wrote it here several times, but here it is again:
- 880Kv Motor AC2836-358 motors (quite cheap ones from Aeroquad)
- 11x5 Graupner E-props
- Naza + GPS
- Turnigy MG930 servos + HK401B gyros (gyro gain is about 80%, no delay, gyros running in digital mode)
- 5000mAh 4s battery in hard case, it just fits perfectly there
- Nex-5N + 18-55mm lens
- separate FPV TV camera
- 400mW 5.8 GHz Tx + homemade diversity receiver, CPL antennas
- AR8000 receiver + DX8 transmitter
- Hornet OSD with GPS

Everything is powered from the main 4s battery, I am using DC-DC regulator + RLC filter from DPCAV. The image quality is great, no interference.
The gimbal is running at 400Hz, roll gain 18, pitch gain 11.
Hope this helps...
Old Sep 18, 2012, 04:50 PM
Ireland
Joined Apr 2005
353 Posts
Hi guys,

I received a new version ecilop yesterday and have almost finished the setup. One problem I'm noticing when bench testing is a yaw induced roll on the gimbal. Has anyone any ideas how to overcome this? I've seen this in some peoples online videos and not in others.

My roll and tilt stabilization looks good in bench tests (but not perfect yet). I need to resolve the roll problem when yawing though.

I'm using a naza, spartan quarks and mks 9670a servos.

I think the issue was mentioned earlier in the thread but I never read of a solution. Any help appreciated. Thanks.
Fergus is offline Find More Posts by Fergus
Old Sep 18, 2012, 06:07 PM
Vilnius, Lithuania (EU)
Joined May 2009
585 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fergus View Post
Hi guys,

I received a new version ecilop yesterday and have almost finished the setup. One problem I'm noticing when bench testing is a yaw induced roll on the gimbal. Has anyone any ideas how to overcome this? I've seen this in some peoples online videos and not in others.

My roll and tilt stabilization looks good in bench tests (but not perfect yet). I need to resolve the roll problem when yawing though.

I'm using a naza, spartan quarks and mks 9670a servos.

I think the issue was mentioned earlier in the thread but I never read of a solution. Any help appreciated. Thanks.
Try to connect servo to the flight controller directly. It may be an error of the controller. Or may be gyro is mounted wrongly.
Zaitsevsky is offline Find More Posts by Zaitsevsky
Site Sponsor