HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 08, 2012, 06:16 PM
Joined Aug 2012
353 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanleyy View Post
What I also don't like is the fact that the FC is always located out of axis of rotation - I have the NAZA on the left side of my frame, which means that roll axis is affected (the motion of front controller is not symmetrical to the roll axis which means that output from the FC can't be properly control roll servo offset.
Do you mean that the ideal place to put the Naza would be nearest the roll/pitch centre of the Ecilop between widened camera/pitch arms, yet fixed to the electronics frame (IE not on the the swing arms, but on a beam fixed across both sides ) ? As I'm new to this, I'm not clear about the correlation between the external gyros on the swing arms and the internal FC gizmos. Do the external gyros override the internal ones or analyse the difference between the two sets?
TAP993 is offline Find More Posts by TAP993
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 08, 2012, 07:07 PM
Slovenská republika, Bratislavský kraj, Bratislava - Podunajské Biskupice
Joined Feb 2011
830 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAP993 View Post
Do you mean that the ideal place to put the Naza would be nearest the roll/pitch centre of the Ecilop between widened camera/pitch arms, yet fixed to the electronics frame (IE not on the the swing arms, but on a beam fixed across both sides ) ? As I'm new to this, I'm not clear about the correlation between the external gyros on the swing arms and the internal FC gizmos. Do the external gyros override the internal ones or analyse the difference between the two sets?
External gyros are not a problem, they just take care of high frequency oscillations of the gimbal. What I meant was the "absolute angle" of each axis, which is calculated by the front controller (FC basically says: "I am tilted by 30 degrees to the left, compensate this tilt by rotating the gimbal by 30 degrees to the right")
As the FC is using some kind of sensor fusion algorithms to calculate the absolute tilt/roll angle, I believe the position of FC is crucial. In ideal case the FC should be placed in the center of gravity so it can control all motors in the same way. Fortunately the length of motor arms on Ecilop is much bigger than the distance between COG and the FC, so the location of FC doesn't affect much the flight characteristics. But I believe it may have some impact on camera stabilization, especially if you need top-notch quality results.
But these are just my thoughts, I am too lazy to study those quaternion equations used by sensor fusion algorithms So maybe I am completely wrong...
stanleyy is offline Find More Posts by stanleyy
Old Sep 09, 2012, 01:10 AM
United States, CA, Hayward
Joined Apr 2006
710 Posts
Testing intervalometer

Finally got around to making an intervalometer for the nex5n. I made one that triggers the shutter every 3s using an IR led. I had an extra prototype but it was snapped up in the classfieds, but if anyone wants one, I may be making a few more.

Here's a test shot from my ecilop

Name: DSC00411.jpg
Views: 139
Size: 212.7 KB
Description:
chris24g is offline Find More Posts by chris24g
Old Sep 09, 2012, 02:37 AM
Australia, SA, Renmark West
Joined Sep 2011
399 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanleyy View Post
External gyros are not a problem, they just take care of high frequency oscillations of the gimbal. What I meant was the "absolute angle" of each axis, which is calculated by the front controller (FC basically says: "I am tilted by 30 degrees to the left, compensate this tilt by rotating the gimbal by 30 degrees to the right")
As the FC is using some kind of sensor fusion algorithms to calculate the absolute tilt/roll angle, I believe the position of FC is crucial. In ideal case the FC should be placed in the center of gravity so it can control all motors in the same way. Fortunately the length of motor arms on Ecilop is much bigger than the distance between COG and the FC, so the location of FC doesn't affect much the flight characteristics. But I believe it may have some impact on camera stabilization, especially if you need top-notch quality results.
But these are just my thoughts, I am too lazy to study those quaternion equations used by sensor fusion algorithms So maybe I am completely wrong...

You can get a FC that can be programmed for the offset - that's the DJI Wookong. I've used my Ecilop with both the NAZA and the WK-M . IMO the WK-M is a bit better FC but the difference isn't startling at Ecilop All Up Weights.

The WK-M is now on my 1100mm octo project and the Ecilop will keep the NAZA.
RedSky is online now Find More Posts by RedSky
Old Sep 09, 2012, 02:38 AM
Australia, SA, Renmark West
Joined Sep 2011
399 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris24g View Post
Finally got around to making an intervalometer for the nex5n. I made one that triggers the shutter every 3s using an IR led. I had an extra prototype but it was snapped up in the classfieds, but if anyone wants one, I may be making a few more.

Attachment 5141988
Nice photo. Looks pretty high too - have you a record of the altitude?
RedSky is online now Find More Posts by RedSky
Old Sep 09, 2012, 03:23 AM
Joined Feb 2011
830 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSky View Post
You can get a FC that can be programmed for the offset - that's the DJI Wookong. I've used my Ecilop with both the NAZA and the WK-M . IMO the WK-M is a bit better FC but the difference isn't startling at Ecilop All Up Weights.

The WK-M is now on my 1100mm octo project and the Ecilop will keep the NAZA.
RedSky: thanks for useful information.. if there is really not much of a difference between Wookong and Naza, then I will stop bothering about it...
Maybe my problem is really caused by gyro settings - has anyone tried to play with exponential settings on the gyro? I have some more expensive gyroscopes at home that allow me to set the exponential rate..
Last edited by stanleyy; Sep 09, 2012 at 07:30 AM.
Old Sep 09, 2012, 03:24 AM
Joined Feb 2011
830 Posts
Quote:

Attachment 5141988
Very nice shot!
Old Sep 09, 2012, 05:31 AM
Joined Aug 2008
227 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycewheels View Post
thomasamoth, seems like you and me are the only ones with that issue. I have also just ordered the Mixer, hopefully that will fix the issue. I love my Ecilop but that crooked image is really annoying.
I have to prop up my monitor with a 3S battery on one side to get a straight image when viewing the video.. : 0
LOL, keep me on when solved
thomasamoth is offline Find More Posts by thomasamoth
Old Sep 09, 2012, 05:32 AM
Joined Aug 2008
227 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocheluich View Post
Thomas, what it your current setup?...HK401 and Turnigy servos?
MKS 8910 & Align GP780
thomasamoth is offline Find More Posts by thomasamoth
Old Sep 09, 2012, 07:25 AM
Joined Aug 2012
156 Posts
sony nex 5

Quote:
I've owned and used both. For video the 5N is very much better, for stills it's better but the difference isn't so marked. IMO the 5N is the way to go.
Thanks for the info, i think i may get the nex 5 for now, and wait for the 5r. Have you seen that with the 5r you will be able to wifi connect to you tablet/phone and use it as the viewfinder, with all the camera controls available! Imagine then being able to link the movement of the pitch and (eventually pan) of the camera servo's to orientation of the phone....
whizz101 is offline Find More Posts by whizz101
Old Sep 09, 2012, 10:12 AM
Joined Apr 2006
710 Posts
Quote:
Nice photo. Looks pretty high too - have you a record of the altitude?
it was estimated to be about 300 feet by a fellow fpv pilot who has an altimiter on his osd. my osd only shows volts and amps used.
Old Sep 09, 2012, 10:17 AM
Joined Apr 2006
710 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whizz101 View Post
wifi connect to you tablet/phone and use it as the viewfinder, with all the camera controls available! Imagine then being able to link the movement of the pitch and (eventually pan) of the camera servo's to orientation of the phone....
sounds very cool, but remember wifi range is likely not that great and it is likely to interfere with 2.4 reception. even with freq hopping it may cut your range in half.
Old Sep 09, 2012, 03:31 PM
Joined Feb 2011
830 Posts
Quote:
sounds very cool, but remember wifi range is likely not that great and it is likely to interfere with 2.4 reception. even with freq hopping it may cut your range in half.
I must agree, I would not risk overloading the 2.4G receiver with nearby wifi transmitter on camera (one single wifi channel can use up to 22MHz of bandwidth - frequency hopping will be useless there)

And I also doubt that the new camera will act as an access point, more likely it will run in client mode - which means you will need an external access point.
Old Sep 09, 2012, 04:47 PM
Joined Aug 2012
353 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whizz101 View Post
i think i may get the nex 5 for now, and wait for the 5r. Have you seen that with the 5r you will be able to wifi connect to you tablet/phone and use it as the viewfinder, with all the camera controls available! Imagine then being able to link the movement of the pitch and (eventually pan) of the camera servo's to orientation of the phone....
I just won a 16mm Sony-E lens on ebay, but am tempted to wait for the 5R. The wifi part would be more useful for other video uses, such as putting it on my video boom or remotely mounted on a car. In my research I found a few comments about 5Ns overheating during video recording. I suspect being suspended below a giant fan means it's not a problem for aerial filming, but has anyone found this to be a problem for general use?
TAP993 is offline Find More Posts by TAP993
Old Sep 09, 2012, 04:50 PM
Joined Feb 2011
830 Posts
My friend had 5n and he was also complaining about overheating.. I am flying with the old 5 model and it doesn't even get warm.