HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 27, 2012, 06:47 AM
Joined Jul 2008
401 Posts
Hi Alexsey, I am slowly getting there with my build. I just am a little unsure on how you recommend to set the gyros up specifically.

Do you put the Gyro gains on to a Y lead, and then into one channel? or should I put them in to separate channels?

Also can you give me an idea on gain levels that you use?

Why do you use extra separate gyros on pan and tilt axis's, rather than just using the outputs directly? It seems strange to use both.

Thanks
Jelico is offline Find More Posts by Jelico
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 27, 2012, 06:49 AM
Joined Dec 2009
1,473 Posts
The last question was explained in the previous thread, as far as I remember, and I think is also in the FAQs.
~>Miha<~ is offline Find More Posts by ~>Miha<~
Old Apr 27, 2012, 07:35 AM
Joined Jul 2008
401 Posts
Its not in the FAQ's and I couldn't find it in the previous thread. I ma just curious really - the gyros are taking input from the FC which is effectively another gyro. It just looks to me like you would be able to get away with just the FC gimbal outputs, rather than both.

I am sure there is a good reason for it, but I am just curious as it adds a lot of complexity to the build. Understanding why might help me know how to set this up better.

At the moment there is very little info on how to set this type of camera mount up so I am looking for all the info I can get.

Cheers
Old Apr 27, 2012, 08:52 AM
Vilnius, Lithuania (EU)
Joined May 2009
589 Posts
Quote:
7. Electronic gyroscopes are installed on the stabilizable part of the camera mount and prevent swaying.

The servo-mechanisms are connected to the gyroscopes, gyroscopes are connected to the onboard controller, and the controller is connected to the receiver. To control both gyroscopes (mode and gain), you can use one channel of the receiver or the programmable output of the onboard controller (single channel with Y connector or separate channels).

34. Turn the drone on and check the gyroscopes' reaction. Switch to reverse, if necessary. Use the "normal" mode for gyroscopes. Start with the maximum reaction value. If the servo gear starts vibrating, reduce the gyroscope reaction value. Push the battery with a finger: if it swings, increase the gyroscope gain value.

p.s. I'm using short soldered wires with no connectors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelico View Post
Its not in the FAQ's and I couldn't find it in the previous thread. I ma just curious really - the gyros are taking input from the FC which is effectively another gyro. It just looks to me like you would be able to get away with just the FC gimbal outputs, rather than both.

I am sure there is a good reason for it, but I am just curious as it adds a lot of complexity to the build. Understanding why might help me know how to set this up better.

At the moment there is very little info on how to set this type of camera mount up so I am looking for all the info I can get.

Cheers
Zaitsevsky is offline Find More Posts by Zaitsevsky
Site Sponsor
Old Apr 27, 2012, 12:41 PM
Joined Dec 2009
1,473 Posts
Quote:
Its not in the FAQ's and I couldn't find it in the previous thread.
This one?
http://ecilop.tv/faq/faq.phtml#Anchor-Wh-16054
Old Apr 27, 2012, 03:32 PM
Joined Jul 2008
401 Posts
That explains why to use separate gyros rather than one three axis gyro (like a Align 3G/Beast X etc) but not why you have extra gyros on top of the FC outputs to stabilize the gimbal.. It doesn't matter really anyway - I am sure I will get this thing working this weekend.

Aleksey - thanks for the info. Much appreciated - the 2x gain setups had me stumped. Are you flying your drone in "Heli" mode or "Acro" mode on the TX?
Old Apr 28, 2012, 05:11 AM
Vilnius, Lithuania (EU)
Joined May 2009
589 Posts
I'm using Heli mode

Quote:
That explains why to use separate gyros rather than one three axis gyro (like a Align 3G/Beast X etc) but not why you have extra gyros on top of the FC outputs to stabilize the gimbal.. It doesn't matter really anyway - I am sure I will get this thing working this weekend.

Aleksey - thanks for the info. Much appreciated - the 2x gain setups had me stumped. Are you flying your drone in "Heli" mode or "Acro" mode on the TX?
Site Sponsor
Old Apr 29, 2012, 02:23 AM
Joined Jul 2008
401 Posts
OK... so I seem to have hit a road block in what has so far been a straight forward and fast build.

I am running the NAZA FC, and have opted for Assan mems gyros instead of the HK 401s. I am running the Turnigy MG930 servos (as recommended on the Ecilop website).

Because there are no "step by step" instructions on how to set up the servos/gyros/ flight controllers I am trying to figure this out a bit blind, but I can't seem to get the camera to stabilize at all yet (moving the drone by hand, not flight testing yet).

Here is how I went about it.

1- Balanced the flight battery and camera mount as per the manual. This was fairly easy.
2- installed the servos/springs
4- Attached the servos DIRECTLY to the NAZA gimbal outputs. This was to get the end points and gains on the NAZA set up correctly for the Ecilop. I succeeded in getting close to what I think are OK gains, but there seems to be a mechanical delay between the servo movements and the camera gimbal due to the springs. This problem is then compounded when the camera gimbal seems to "bounce" left and right and forward and aft under the spring tensions.
5- I figured, maybe this was why the gyros are required, so connected these up (as per Alexsey's instructions) with the gain leads connected by Y lead to my receiver. This gave me a problem as I had run out of outputs on my receiver so I had to sacrifice the tilt control to do this.
6- I set the directions on the gyros, and tried all sorts of different gain settings but couldn't improve the delay or bounce described earlier, and certainly couldn't get anything close to a stabilized camera gimbal.

I am sure I am doing something stupid and have complete faith in the Ecilop but I can't seem to get past this problem.

I can think of a few reasons why this would happen:

-Servos are too slow - unlikely though as they were recommended by Ecilop
-Gyros not adequate - could be, but these should work as good as or better than the 401s.
-I haven't set the electrics up correctly - probably! But lack of information available on the correct setup means I can't be sure.
-The NAZA isn't suitable for the Ecilop - potentially but I can't see a good reason for this.

I am hoping that the RCGroups community, or Aleksey might be able to point me in the right direction!

Overall I am impressed with the Ecilop Easy, but I just think that for idiots like myself, we need more information on the setup of the camera gimbal and electronics.

Thanks!
Old Apr 29, 2012, 07:40 AM
Vilnius, Lithuania (EU)
Joined May 2009
589 Posts
Quote:
OK... so I seem to have hit a road block in what has so far been a straight forward and fast build.
There was two recommended servos - one cheep and one fast (you can choose another).
Possible reasons of the problem: Gyro can't understand High speed PWM (like in combination GAUI - HK401); or gyro can't understand low voltage PWM (below 3.3V from some devices). May be something else.
Try to connect gyro not to the flight controller, but to the receiver (same way as on heli). Do it just to test functionality.
Site Sponsor
Old Apr 29, 2012, 12:42 PM
USA, CA, Oakland
Joined Nov 2009
1,334 Posts
What do you think about using MKS DS545 or MKS DS9670 servos?

thanks!
llbr22 is online now Find More Posts by llbr22
Old Apr 29, 2012, 02:43 PM
Vilnius, Lithuania (EU)
Joined May 2009
589 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by llbr22 View Post
What do you think about using MKS DS545 or MKS DS9670 servos?

thanks!
First post was updated. My complectation is listed there.
Site Sponsor
Old Apr 29, 2012, 03:31 PM
Joined Jan 2012
256 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaitsevsky View Post
First post was updated. My complectation is listed there.
Just when I thought I'd seen everything. Nazi's shooting at an Ecilop.
Price4Flight is offline Find More Posts by Price4Flight
Old Apr 29, 2012, 04:01 PM
Joined Dec 2009
1,473 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Price4Flight View Post
Just when I thought I'd seen everything. Nazi's shooting at an Ecilop.
Maybe they thought it was the Ecilop 1. Remember the frame shape?

BTW, it took just 27 posts this time.

Old Apr 29, 2012, 04:51 PM
Joined Jul 2008
401 Posts
I am surprised that the MG 930 servos may not be suitable as they are listed as recommended servos on the website. I will see if I can borrow some other (higher speed) mini servos and test them, although this will be difficult as you have to modify the servo to make it fit on one of the axis's.

Aleksey, can you confirm that the best way to set up the Flight Controller gimbal outputs is how I described earlier?

Should I be setting up the servos to run off the gimbal outputs as if the gyros weren't being used, and then add the gyros? or should I be doing something else like putting the gains right down on the Flight Controller gimbal outputs and then relying on the gyros for stabilization.

Could definitely use some direction here... : )

Thanks
Old Apr 29, 2012, 04:55 PM
Joined Dec 2009
1,473 Posts
Jelico, have you tried this?

"Try to connect gyro not to the flight controller, but to the receiver (same way as on heli). Do it just to test functionality."