HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Feb 08, 2013, 07:55 AM
Registered User
Joined Apr 2007
1,479 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by topgearuk View Post
My replacement Naza has turned up A long with my new flight batteries..

Going to be the 1st time I have ever used LiFe...

Did you buy them at Hobbyking?
tritan is offline Find More Posts by tritan
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 08, 2013, 07:57 AM
kitesurfer
United Kingdom, Blackpool
Joined Dec 2005
1,575 Posts
how much do those 4200's weigh, for the equivalent of 4s?
AliB is online now Find More Posts by AliB
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 08, 2013, 08:05 AM
Registered User
Joined Apr 2007
1,479 Posts
Very interesting these LiFe,

Each cell is 3,3 V but how much when fully charged? Can a 5S LiFe replace a 4S LiPo?

I know nothing about LiFe .....
tritan is offline Find More Posts by tritan
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 08, 2013, 08:05 AM
Registered User
Joined Apr 2007
1,479 Posts
Here:

this
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ePo4_Pack.html

or this?
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ePo4_Pack.html
tritan is offline Find More Posts by tritan
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 08, 2013, 08:12 AM
Registered User
topgearuk's Avatar
United Kingdom, London
Joined Dec 2003
3,272 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tritan View Post
Did you buy them at Hobbyking?
Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliB View Post
how much do those 4200's weigh, for the equivalent of 4s?
I was using 14.8V, 4s 4000mah, @412g (however there was only really about 3600mah from new in them) to which you should only really use 80% so all I had to use was around 2900-3000Mah.

13.2v LiFe, 4s 4200mah, @552g (so in real terms about half way between a 4s Lipo and a 3s Lipo) It weighs about 25% more with a 40% increase in usable capacity, to which you will loose some flight time due to the extra weight.. I'm still guessing around a 3 minute longer flight time, with a 3-5 times overall usage life over a Lipo.
topgearuk is offline Find More Posts by topgearuk
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 08, 2013, 08:16 AM
Registered User
topgearuk's Avatar
United Kingdom, London
Joined Dec 2003
3,272 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tritan View Post
Very interesting these LiFe,

Each cell is 3,3 V but how much when fully charged? Can a 5S LiFe replace a 4S LiPo?

I know nothing about LiFe .....
Not quite a 5s LiFe is just a little to much for a 4s ESC, and didn't fancy replacing mine just yet. 3.6V per cell is a fully charged LiFe battery to which it will drop very quickly and stay at 3.3v for over 80% of it's capacity

However a 7s Life is exactly the same as a 6s Lipo, so in the future I may upgrade the ESC and motor's, use my existing 4s Life up top and buy a 3s LiFe for on the side.
topgearuk is offline Find More Posts by topgearuk
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 08, 2013, 08:20 AM
kitesurfer
United Kingdom, Blackpool
Joined Dec 2005
1,575 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by topgearuk View Post
Yes



I was using 14.8V, 4s 4000mah, @412g (however there was only really about 3600mah from new in them) to which you should only really use 80% so all I had to use was around 2900-3000Mah.

13.2v LiFe, 4s 4200mah, @552g (so in real terms about half way between a 4s Lipo and a 3s Lipo) It weighs about 25% more with a 40% increase in usable capacity, to which you will loose some flight time due to the extra weight.. I'm still guessing around a 3 minute longer flight time, with a 3-5 times overall usage life over a Lipo.
hmm, the way i see it, is that has basically the same capacity of the 5a batteries i use (normally discharged around 4000-4100) but it is heavier, and lower voltage. my batteries weighs 515g if i remeber correctly,
but due to the lower voltage, you will have to run at higher throttle, therefore using more battery, lowering flight time. and you'll be drawing more current, so warming components up more.
correct me if im wrong.. i could be talking out my ar se
AliB is online now Find More Posts by AliB
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 08, 2013, 08:36 AM
Registered User
topgearuk's Avatar
United Kingdom, London
Joined Dec 2003
3,272 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliB View Post
hmm, the way i see it, is that has basically the same capacity of the 5a batteries i use (normally discharged around 4000-4100) but it is heavier, and lower voltage. my batteries weighs 515g if i remeber correctly,
but due to the lower voltage, you will have to run at higher throttle, therefore using more battery, lowering flight time. and you'll be drawing more current, so warming components up more.
correct me if im wrong.. i could be talking out my ar se
I'm afraid you are talking out your ar se!

If your quad hovers at around 18-20amps and at half throttle, it will still hover using exactly the same amperage (well plus the extra 50g of weight) weather you are running a 3s or 4s as the ESC's doesn't put through the whole voltage anyway! unless your WOT.. The only exceptions to this, will be if you are already running your motors near it's limit's or you fly WOT.

Plus my idea is to fly with both batteries like I was doing before giving me 8400mah pack. I will see how it performs on one pack and with 2 packs, see what the temps and current is like.
topgearuk is offline Find More Posts by topgearuk
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 08, 2013, 08:40 AM
Registered User
Joined Apr 2007
1,479 Posts
topgear,
what is the max, fully charged volt for a LiFe cell?
tritan is offline Find More Posts by tritan
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 08, 2013, 08:44 AM
Registered User
topgearuk's Avatar
United Kingdom, London
Joined Dec 2003
3,272 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tritan View Post
topgear,
what is the max, fully charged volt for a LiFe cell?
3.6v But drops off very quickly to 3.3v
topgearuk is offline Find More Posts by topgearuk
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 08, 2013, 08:49 AM
kitesurfer
United Kingdom, Blackpool
Joined Dec 2005
1,575 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by topgearuk View Post
I'm afraid you are talking out your ar se!

If your quad hovers at around 18-20amps and at half throttle, it will still hover using exactly the same amperage (well plus the extra 50g of weight) weather you are running a 3s or 4s as the ESC's doesn't put through the whole voltage anyway! unless your WOT.. The only exceptions to this, will be if you are already running your motors near it's limit's or you fly WOT.

Plus my idea is to fly with both batteries like I was doing before giving me 8400mah pack. I will see how it performs on one pack and with 2 packs, see what the temps and current is like.
ha, i just read back what i wrote and realised how stupid it was ha,

but surely if you are changing from 3s to 4s, the amps will drop to hover. otherwise there wouldnt be an advantage to going up to 6s. surely we should talk about watts to hover

on a different note, how much flight time do you get with 8400mah?
AliB is online now Find More Posts by AliB
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 08, 2013, 09:03 AM
Registered User
topgearuk's Avatar
United Kingdom, London
Joined Dec 2003
3,272 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliB View Post
ha, i just read back what i wrote and realised how stupid it was ha,

but surely if you are changing from 3s to 4s, the amps will drop to hover. otherwise there wouldnt be an advantage to going up to 6s. surely we should talk about watts to hover

on a different note, how much flight time do you get with 8400mah?
Yes it was!!

It's all to do with what motor's your using (all this talk is for the sole purpose of multi's, it will be different for planes and heli's where most people's goal is to go faster!), if you go to 6s you always lower the KV, therefore you will still be getting roughly the same amount of lift if all other things are equal.. The voltage goes up your current will come down..

But if your using the same motor on both a 3s or 4s in the hover you won't see much benefit, if the motor is the right choice for it's application.. I.e you should be looking at your quad hovering at around 50-60% throttle in manual mode.. If it's the wrong choice then yes current of course will go up..

Say your quad requires 200 watts to hover and we know it roughly hovers at around 5amps per motor (20amps) the voltage needed will be 10volts VxA=W, the esc will limit this power, so it won't matter if the input battery voltage is 13v or 15v.

As for the question on flight time, I haven't tried yet.. So have no idea, half the fun of this hobby for me is experimenting, trying different things out, see what works and what doesn't and what's best.. It's all trail and error..

I never came on here and said I have all the answers all I said is I have a new flight pack I'm going to try!
topgearuk is offline Find More Posts by topgearuk
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 08, 2013, 08:43 PM
Registered User
Joined May 2012
144 Posts
Thanks for the help guys, looks like the gyros are more or less doing what they are supposed to do now. I just need to spend some time fine tuning once I get it in the air.

The settings I changed on the gyros are:
H-Limit 160 -> 240
L-Limit 160 -> 240
Deadband 10 -> 5

And in the APM planner, for the gimbal setup, I changed the angle limits for tilt and roll to +90 and -90 degrees, and min and max PWMs to 1100 and 1950 respectively.

Seem the gyro gain works best if low. It's set to about 1000 PWM now.

The only thing that isn't working that well, is that the balance beam will bounce on the springs at either the forward or backward extreme, since the servos won't seem to travel that far.

Any tips on tweaking it would be appreciated!
Wreck_nz is offline Find More Posts by Wreck_nz
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 09, 2013, 12:58 AM
Registered User
Indonesia, Jakarta
Joined Sep 2012
463 Posts
i got a new ecilop with a naza and a robird gyro on it. but i dont know how exactly how to adjust the gain on the gyro and the naza in combine. what are you guys gains at?
WonderKing is offline Find More Posts by WonderKing
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 09, 2013, 08:39 AM
Registered User
Joined Aug 2008
227 Posts
In my long way to find very good batt at a bargain price, I really can suggest you to by the TURNIGY COMPACT 4S 5000 25C for you ECILOP they are very light

I fly with 3 of them on my ECILOP cf picture
thomasamoth is offline Find More Posts by thomasamoth
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Five easy piece f-14 tomcat bobdaeronort Foamies (Scratchbuilt) 80 Oct 25, 2012 05:43 PM
Discussion Easy Glider VS Easy Glider Pro (what's different?) MkFn Electric Sailplanes 7 Nov 17, 2011 07:42 PM
Discussion Easi Glider film boca55 Serbia 0 Apr 20, 2008 04:46 PM
Discussion Spring Easi* in NZ harrys one Aerial Photography 8 Nov 14, 2007 01:22 PM