HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 18, 2012, 04:20 AM
Vilnius, Lithuania (EU)
Joined May 2009
594 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ignacvosahlo View Post
Hi all. As I'm reading here, most of you use DJI controller. I would like to use for Ecilop frame new version of Ardupilot - ArduPilotMega 2.0. It is much cheaper and seems to have the same capabilities. Is it good idea, what you think?
it was successfully tested on the first Ecilop.
Zaitsevsky is offline Find More Posts by Zaitsevsky
Site Sponsor
to remove ads between posts
Old May 18, 2012, 08:41 AM
Joined Jul 2008
401 Posts
For those that asked, yes mine is with the standard NAZA outputs. I have also gone back to the MG930 and and HK401 gyros. In that video I showed you, the quad is moving all over the place but you can hardly see it in the footage. Sure the Yaw is all over the place (my bad flying) but the tilt and roll is almost spot on.

Aleksey - what are your thoughts on building an X8 version of the Ecilop. I would be interested in a second machine as a back up, but would like to look at something with redundancy. With a little modification to the arms of the standard Ecilop I think its possible?
Jelico is offline Find More Posts by Jelico
Old May 18, 2012, 09:20 AM
Joined Dec 2009
1,473 Posts
+1 Jelico. I am on the list for the X8 Ecilop. And great night video.

BTW, just in case it went unnoticed:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaitsevsky View Post
I'm not planing to produce hexa. May be Octa will be available in a few months.
~>Miha<~ is offline Find More Posts by ~>Miha<~
Old May 18, 2012, 09:26 AM
Vilnius, Lithuania (EU)
Joined May 2009
594 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelico View Post
Aleksey - what are your thoughts on building an X8 version of the Ecilop. I would be interested in a second machine as a back up, but would like to look at something with redundancy. With a little modification to the arms of the standard Ecilop I think its possible?
I think, that during year 2012 X8 version with "ecilop" brand will not be offered. Sorry.
You can try to make it by your self.
Site Sponsor
Old May 18, 2012, 09:28 AM
Vilnius, Lithuania (EU)
Joined May 2009
594 Posts
20% discount

I have a few sets with minor defects. For instance: anodizing defects, a
scratch, a misprinted logo (small cosmetic defects on certain parts).

I can sell such kits with a 20% discount.

To order discounted sets, please use this contact form.

Discounted sets are not intended for resale, but for individual use only.
Site Sponsor
Old May 18, 2012, 09:55 AM
Joined Dec 2009
1,473 Posts
I've assembled the Ecilop this morning. A few observations:

1. Carefull when packing the bags. A missing metric screw (in my case the black one that holds the roll servo) is no problem in most parts of the world but those guys in non-metric land might struggle to find replacement. Okay, in this particular case you can use any screw of similar diameter and length.

2. The screws that hold the motor arms to the main frame could be 1-2mm longer. Not all flanks of those tiny screw-nuts grip.

3. It is much easier to first install the tilt servo to the tilt servo platform and then fix the platform to the balance beam stand.

4. On photos 2 and 3 of the assembly manual it is not clear how the axial unit has to be oriented with regard to the balance beam stands. It becomes clear only several steps later on photo 5 (by coincidence in the upper right corner).

5. On photo/step 4 take care in which position your axial unit is before you mount the blocker and springs holder. Otherwise you have good chances to take everything apart again.

6. Step 5: "Install and fasten the servo platform. Install under the servo platform with two washers to increase the gap (for version 1204)."
Would be good if that's visible in the photo. I found 4 washers in the bag. "Two washers" per screw? Not possible. One washer per screw is possible with the content of the bag.
Not sure if it was necessary at all for the Turnigy MG930.
Also, how is it possible to see which version of the kit you have, if it is "version 1204"?

7. Step 13: "Loosen the bolts on the locks (p. 3) and tighten them up again.". That's hardly possible as the tilt servo is blocking access on one side. The second side is accessible though. It wasn't necessary in my case. Both axis are very smooth with no resistance.

8. Corrigendum for Header and Body title of the assembly manual: For AESY read EASY

This kit is definitely a masterpiece of engineering. Reminds me of kits from the single-rotor world, like Vario/Germany. Very different to the typical .cn garbage we get used to these days.

I hope you'll sell a ton of them and you work on the X8 already

Cheers,
Miha
Last edited by ~>Miha<~; May 18, 2012 at 10:44 AM. Reason: spelling
Old May 18, 2012, 11:02 AM
Philippines, Central Luzon, Marilao
Joined Jun 2008
569 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelico View Post
For those that asked, yes mine is with the standard NAZA outputs. I have also gone back to the MG930 and and HK401 gyros. In that video I showed you, the quad is moving all over the place but you can hardly see it in the footage. Sure the Yaw is all over the place (my bad flying) but the tilt and roll is almost spot on.

Hi guys im also thinking of the same, for now do you think modding the existing ecilop easy to an x8 or even a flat ocTo plausible? I mean will the mod have an effect on stailization of the ecilop
rukie is offline Find More Posts by rukie
Old May 18, 2012, 11:18 AM
Joined Dec 2009
1,473 Posts
@rukie:

For an X8 mod the main problem will be the landing gear. You need to place it more to the center but then it could interfere with the balancer arms when the main frame is really tilted.

The motor arms are strong enough for more motors, but you need to build some motor holder to mount the lower motors because there is no room on the current arms to mount them directly.

BTW, the landing gear is pretty strong, and yet "flexible" due to the way how both steel bars are connected. Not nearly as fragile as it appears on photos.
Old May 18, 2012, 07:28 PM
Joined Jun 2008
569 Posts
@miha i agree on your inputs, one other thing is the slight tilt angle on the motors

1. I was wondering if i should compliment the angle, meaning i would bje tilting the lower motor in such a way that the shafts of the motors will be in a line.

2. Or to make things simple just omit the motor tilting from the setup.

Thats why i think modding it to a flat octo will be more simple.

By the way hope you can managed to post some of you videos with the ecilop in action
Last edited by rukie; May 18, 2012 at 07:43 PM.
Old May 18, 2012, 07:51 PM
Joined Jun 2008
569 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by llbr22 View Post
sorry if this is a repost, but i jus tin case:
http://youtu.be/bbf2a7wE6v0
Aleksey please correct me if wrong it seems that the fc in this video is an mk right?
Old May 18, 2012, 08:05 PM
Joined Dec 2009
1,473 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rukie View Post
@miha i agree on your inputs, one other thing is the slight tilt angle on the motors

1. I was wondering if i should compliment the angle, meaning i would bje tilting the lower motor in such a way that the shafts of the motors will be in a line.
Now that you mention it... I haven't mounted any motors yet and forgot about this feature but I just looked and I can't see how the motors will be inclined. Everything is just flat. Also no mention of this in the assembly manual.

Maybe the folks who have it flying already can take a look.
Old May 19, 2012, 03:01 AM
Joined Jun 2008
569 Posts
Hmmm hope aleksey would chime in and confirm the feature i think its stated in the site and i also saw it in the promotional videos
Old May 19, 2012, 01:04 PM
Россия, Томская область, Томск
Joined Jan 2011
6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rukie View Post
Aleksey please correct me if wrong it seems that the fc in this video is an mk right?
It's most certainly MK.
Burgher is offline Find More Posts by Burgher
Old May 19, 2012, 02:19 PM
Joined Dec 2009
1,473 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~>Miha<~ View Post
Now that you mention it... I haven't mounted any motors yet and forgot about this feature but I just looked and I can't see how the motors will be inclined. Everything is just flat. Also no mention of this in the assembly manual.

Maybe the folks who have it flying already can take a look.
Maybe the feature was removed in the production version.

See step 22 of the assembly manual.
You see a small plate inside the motor arm, for fixing the motor. Four of these are included in the kit.

When you watch the "Ecilop 3" video on Youtube however, there is a wedge that gets attached between motor and arm, to incline the motor. There is no mention of this in the manual and no such wedge/plates are in the kit.

When you watch that video carefully you will notice this isn't the only difference between that prototype and the final version (e.g. dampers instead of springs, how the landing gear is fixed to the motor arms, etc.).
Last edited by ~>Miha<~; May 19, 2012 at 02:33 PM.
Old May 20, 2012, 05:11 AM
Vilnius, Lithuania (EU)
Joined May 2009
594 Posts
Thank you for your comments. I donít always have time to respond, but everything you proposed will be considered for future enhancements.

ECILOP EASY has rubber dampers instead of springs, since springs can cause a significant resonation effect.

The engine tilt towards the center is a minor modification. Compared to the current active stabilization system of the multicopter, passive stabilization by means of the engine tilt is insignificant.

In relation to servo gears, the best advice is to make sure that deadband is minimal for best results.

As far as X8 is concerned, I believe it will be better to add 4 separate engine stands. But I have no plans to do that right now, since I am busy with other projects.
Site Sponsor