HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 06, 2013, 08:25 AM
Trying to understand something
Argentina, CB, Córdoba
Joined Nov 2011
219 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by topgearuk View Post
I've just completed my build And will be maddening it in the next couple of hours.. Will take some video and photo's too, Just got to do throttle calibrations and gyro set-up (and if I get a chance the LED lighting) and charge batteries..

It has got to be one of the longest quad builds I've ever done, the kit goes together amazingly well and can not fault this one bit, the only criticism I have and this goes for most frame manufacturers out there, is the real lack of real estate to place components tidily and a little more thought on this would have made this perfect..

I have a thing for untidy cables and have painstakingly tried to hide as much as I could (I'm still not happy but it's the best I could manage), including running cables down the inside of the tubing as much as possible, which has meant cutting plugs off and extending or shortening as many cables as I could.. ESC's motor cables, battery cables and RX cables, Motor leads, Naza leads inc PMU cables (just not the GPS), LED lights and had to make my own custom wiring harness/power distribution board. It has been fun, but I did have a friend ask me to build one for him, that answer is No Way! lol
Waiting for the photos and video, top!!
And for your general opinions too, I do value a lot them.

Best
Jo
jovito is offline Find More Posts by jovito
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 06, 2013, 12:00 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Dec 2003
3,272 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jovito View Post
Waiting for the photos and video, top!!
And for your general opinions too, I do value a lot them.

Best
Jo
Thank you, here are some photo's and short Video.. Unfortunately didn't get to fly until it was almost dark, however on the plus side got to try out the lights!

Ecilop, DJI Naza + GPS, Sony NEX 6, Sony NEX5n (0 min 32 sec)
topgearuk is offline Find More Posts by topgearuk
Old Jan 06, 2013, 09:14 PM
Argentina, CB, Córdoba
Joined Nov 2011
219 Posts
[QUOTE=topgearuk;23729531]Thank you, here are some photo's and short Video.. Unfortunately didn't get to fly until it was almost dark, however on the plus side got to try out the lights!

You're wellcome. Very nice lights and ultra clean construction! Can I ask you where did you pick those lights? Looks like they fit very well on the ecilop arms width. I love mines too (photo) but yours look better. Can see how are they fixed to the arms?

Just two weeks comparing opinions about different "ecilop system" frames to change my old gaui (one year) for a solid AV tool; find nice that some guys known at the WKM thread are here too. Do you think WKM will have enouhg room into the ecilop?

I like the 500mm size. Have seen it's very useful in shootings where you have to quickly move by car -with a driver and other people from one point to another several times- because you can take the quad on your knees and you, the TX and the quad fit in a single seat. Very compact! Even you can walk easily with all in only one hand. So I think soon will be with ecilop too Only thing I'd change is to a more aesthetic and clear landing gear, perhaps a S800 style.

Jo
Last edited by jovito; Jan 07, 2013 at 06:13 AM.
Old Jan 07, 2013, 04:07 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Dec 2003
3,272 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jovito View Post
You're wellcome. Very nice lights and ultra clean construction! Can I ask you where did you pick those lights? Looks like they fit very well on the ecilop arms width. I love mines too (photo) but yours look better. Can see how are they fixed to the arms?

Just two weeks comparing opinions about different "ecilop system" frames to change my old gaui (one year) for a solid AV tool; find nice that some guys known at the WKM thread are here too. Do you think WKM will have enouhg room into the ecilop?

I like the 500mm size. Have seen it's very useful in shootings where you have to quickly move by car -with a driver and other people from one point to another several times- because you can take the quad on your knees and you, the TX and the quad fit in a single seat. Very compact! Even you can walk easily with all in only one hand. So I think soon will be with ecilop too Only thing I'd change is to a more aesthetic and clear landing gear, perhaps a S800 style.

Jo
Thanks, now it has had a test fly and everything I know works I will finish the cable tiding.. I'm running 2 flight 4s (4000) batteries in parallel, the LED's are 12v strip lights that have a double sided tape fitted and just stuck on to the arms, these can be cut down to the lengths needed, I brought these off ebay awhile back. And are being powered by a 12v BEC to cut the voltage down from 14.8v.

Yes I very much like the size of this machine and can't wait to fly it in daylight and see the inflight video results, preliminary is looking good.

The WKM will work great on this but the real lack of space will make things tight but can be done, this was one reason for me choosing the Naza
Old Jan 07, 2013, 06:37 PM
Bert'sEyeViews of NYC
United States, NY, New York
Joined May 2011
167 Posts
Quote:
.. I'm running 2 flight 4s (4000) batteries in parallel, ...
Nice work. Just wondering why you run 2 batts on it? Do you like the longer flight times or maybe the extra weight for stabilization?
It appears that you would have to pile a whole bunch of stuff on the opposite side to balance it. I have some half-worn out batteries that I might use the same way and still get some life out of it. I have seen one user with 3 of them, claiming 30 minutes flight time. I guess as long as the props can lift it, you're good.

Is the small thing under the GPS antenna the video battery?
nycewheels is offline Find More Posts by nycewheels
Old Jan 08, 2013, 02:53 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Dec 2003
3,272 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycewheels View Post
Nice work. Just wondering why you run 2 batts on it? Do you like the longer flight times or maybe the extra weight for stabilization?
It appears that you would have to pile a whole bunch of stuff on the opposite side to balance it. I have some half-worn out batteries that I might use the same way and still get some life out of it. I have seen one user with 3 of them, claiming 30 minutes flight time. I guess as long as the props can lift it, you're good.

Is the small thing under the GPS antenna the video battery?
Thank you... I'm running 2 batts because I'm using what I already have which are 4s 4000mah one up top and one on the right side.. This is for longer flight times..
This is not true about needing stuff on the opposite side to counter the weight.. There is about half a batts weight on the opposite side (RX, NAZA, TM1000, 12v BEC + soon to be EZOSD and 5.8g video TX) but as the battery is fairly close to the middle the difference is small, all it will mean is the 2 right sided motors work a little harder but this really is no problem.. If they were near there limits then maybe a different story.. After the 2 flights I have had there is no noticeably difference in motor temp or esc temp between all 4, I will keep an eye on this.

The small thing under the GPS is the NAZA PMU/USB thingy!
Old Jan 08, 2013, 06:32 AM
Argentina, CB, Córdoba
Joined Nov 2011
219 Posts
Ok, It's done!... I have already bought my ecilop frame!!

Jo
Old Jan 08, 2013, 01:31 PM
KK4LIK
United States, GA, Ocilla
Joined May 2012
91 Posts
Ok, here is a good question. I'm use to multirotors and only have a few simple planes that run everything on one esc. I want to add an additional rx (RX2) to controll the tilt manually ( i assume by just running the white tilt servo wire to RX2) and the camera operation via an infered control switch on the RX2.

I was wondering if I could power RX2 with a power wire from one of my OPTO ESC's, leaving the signal and ground connected to say M1(on the naza).

Keep in mind that I'm powering the roll and pitch servos via the white servo wire with the RX1 on my last aux channel and not the naza(yellow servo wires running to naza for signal). Therefore the tilt servo would then be powered by RX2 via the OPTO red wire from say.. motor one. Does this make sense? is it feasible?

Thank you for any input.

To help clarify things-- What I'm trying to do is have a seperate TX for manual control of the pitch servo and taking pictures/turning video off and on via RX2 servo input/infrared controller. I'm also adding a small LCD screen to TX2 to view the images from the Nex 5n (like fpv). I already have my 5.8ghz system setup. I've used them before.
theSouthGA is offline Find More Posts by theSouthGA
Last edited by theSouthGA; Jan 08, 2013 at 01:38 PM. Reason: clarity
Old Jan 09, 2013, 08:23 AM
Bert'sEyeViews of NYC
Joined May 2011
167 Posts
Quote:
Thank you... I'm running 2 batts because I'm using what I already have which are 4s 4000mah one up top and one on the right side.. This is for longer flight times..
This is not true about needing stuff on the opposite side to counter the weight.. There is about half a batts weight on the opposite side (RX, NAZA, TM1000, 12v BEC + soon to be EZOSD and 5.8g video TX) but as the battery is fairly close to the middle the difference is small, all it will mean is the 2 right sided motors work a little harder but this really is no problem.. If they were near there limits then maybe a different story.. After the 2 flights I have had there is no noticeably difference in motor temp or esc temp between all 4, I will keep an eye on this.

The small thing under the GPS is the NAZA PMU/USB thingy!
I have read a bunch of messages where it is recommended to balance the machine as perfect as possible. I guess it depends on your FC as well. It took me a while to get mine right and still keep all 3 antenna's as far as possible from each other.
Old Jan 09, 2013, 08:46 AM
kitesurfer
United Kingdom, Blackpool
Joined Dec 2005
1,575 Posts
yeh, if you always fly in gps mode, then it wont make too much difference, other than motors working harder, but if you ever use atti mode, then im pretty sure you will feel alot of drift. i know mine drifted in atti mode before i balanced the rig. i dont particularly like flying in gps mode because it feels so restricted and like the heli is always fighting against you.
AliB is online now Find More Posts by AliB
Old Jan 09, 2013, 10:46 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Dec 2003
3,272 Posts
Quote:
I have read a bunch of messages where it is recommended to balance the machine as perfect as possible. I guess it depends on your FC as well. It took me a while to get mine right and still keep all 3 antenna's as far as possible from each other.
I think you will be reading people looking for the CG (On DJi threads) for the purposes of the XYZ setting for the IMU (WKM) and GPS (WKM & Naza)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliB View Post
yeh, if you always fly in gps mode, then it wont make too much difference, other than motors working harder, but if you ever use atti mode, then im pretty sure you will feel alot of drift. i know mine drifted in atti mode before i balanced the rig. i dont particularly like flying in gps mode because it feels so restricted and like the heli is always fighting against you.
Shouldn't drift anymore then normal!! Short clip to show you that it won't make any difference in either mode! Started off GPS just so I could get my phone out my pocket and hit record then the rest was in Alti as you can see by the colour of the LED.. I also purposely put this on the right along with the other flight battery!

DJi Naza Balance Alti Mode (0 min 36 sec)
Old Jan 09, 2013, 06:37 PM
kitesurfer
Joined Dec 2005
1,575 Posts
cant argue with that clip :P
Old Jan 09, 2013, 06:50 PM
Joined Oct 2012
203 Posts
Quote:
I balanced as good as possible. It's hard to get it perfect, but I actually added (gulp) some washers where needed at corners on the landing gears where the rods intersect. The farther out, the less it takes.

I guess I just prefer my motors putting in equal work.
InfinitR is offline Find More Posts by InfinitR
Old Jan 10, 2013, 08:07 AM
Bert'sEyeViews of NYC
Joined May 2011
167 Posts
Quote:
I think you will be reading people looking for the CG (On DJi threads) for the purposes of the XYZ setting for the IMU (WKM) and GPS (WKM & Naza)

Shouldn't drift anymore then normal!! Short clip to show you that it won't make any difference in either mode! Started off GPS just so I could get my phone out my pocket and hit record then the rest was in Alti as you can see by the colour of the LED.. I also purposely put this on the right along with the other flight battery!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HcTtj1nB8A
Thanks, that looks as if it doesn't matter at all. Once in a while I need to lift things like the video RX to higher grounds for better signal. Was thinking of attaching it to camera gimbal but now see that hooking it up to one side of LG is fine. Also planning to walk the dog with it once in a while but need to get a retractable leash first.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 08:30 AM
kitesurfer
Joined Dec 2005
1,575 Posts
hahah,,, leash to the heli, the put it in gps mode... DOG vs QUAD... could be a youtube hit :P