HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 03, 2012, 01:27 PM
Joined Aug 2012
283 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAP993 View Post
I took some stills yesterday with the 16mm 500th sec f7.1 and couldn't believe how bad this lens is in the corners. Fine for video, but shocking for stills. So I used the 18-55mm, way better. Has anyone tried the Sigma 19mm F2.8 ?
http://www.dpreview.com/news/2012/01/10/SigmaDigitalNeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSky View Post
I have, the 19 Sigma is really good for stills. Even on the 24MP NEX-7 it looks great.
I also looked it up on the web and it's still not stellar in the corners, slightly better than the 18-55 at 18, but way better than the 16mm. For video it should be ideal and lighter than the 18-55. I like the flexibility of a n F2.8 lens for end of day videoing. I would have bought it but am low on funds at the moment
TAP993 is online now Find More Posts by TAP993
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 03, 2012, 02:41 PM
Joined Oct 2012
203 Posts
I'm in the same boat. Strongly considering the Sigma 19mm 2.8. However, it has no stabilization and I am not sure how that will be on a multicopter. Usually primes are sharper, but of course nothing is universal. By far, my current favorite lens is the Canon 50mm 1.4 (used mostly for portraits though) so I'm looking over the wider e-mount prime options.
InfinitR is offline Find More Posts by InfinitR
Last edited by InfinitR; Dec 03, 2012 at 03:00 PM.
Old Dec 03, 2012, 03:33 PM
Joined Jul 2008
397 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordcopter View Post
Thanks. Very helpful.
Isn´t speed setting too fast?
Doesnt seem to be - I am using a futaba 8FG and use a finger slider for tilt so have a very accurate control of the tilting and its speed.
Jelico is online now Find More Posts by Jelico
Old Dec 03, 2012, 03:39 PM
Joined Oct 2012
784 Posts
Sony has a new 16-50 stabilized E mount lens for the Nex. It comes on the Nex 6 camera and maybe some others. I have it and think it is very good. It only weights 116 grams. It has a motorized zoom so if there is ever some kind of interface to control it, one could zoom while in the air

I posted full res out of camera jpegs to this site: (My raw converters don't support this yet and I didn't feel like using Sony's.) They are shot at different focal lengths and you can download them to study and check the EXIF data. I generally use DXO Optics Pro as my conversion software and it has profiles to automatically compensate for lens flaws - C/A. vignetting, distortion, additional corner sharpening - based on tests of each lens at various focal lengths, f stops and distances on each body. It does wonders on my Canon 24-105 so it will be interesting to see what happens when DXO supports this lens and camera.

http://alangoldstein.photoshelter.co...000.lSXr.bIIr0

Password: RC

BTW, the automatic lens distortion correction firmware in the camera may be cropping into the image slightly. (I haven't tested this.)
AlanGold is offline Find More Posts by AlanGold
Last edited by AlanGold; Dec 03, 2012 at 03:59 PM.
Old Dec 03, 2012, 03:53 PM
Australia, SA, Renmark West
Joined Sep 2011
398 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinitR View Post
I'm in the same boat. Strongly considering the Sigma 19mm 2.8. However, it has no stabilization and I am not sure how that will be on a multicopter. Usually primes are sharper, but of course nothing is universal. By far, my current favorite lens is the Canon 50mm 1.4 (used mostly for portraits though) so I'm looking over the wider e-mount prime options.
Most camera stabilizers work poorly on a multicopter (I think the constant vibration confuses them). The only exception I've found is the stabilizer on my Sony PJ730E but that is limited by not having roll stabilization.

Really, you are best served by a short prime like the 16mm Sony, 19mm Sigma or 21mm Voigtlander or Zeiss.
RedSky is offline Find More Posts by RedSky
Old Dec 03, 2012, 04:21 PM
Joined Dec 2009
1,457 Posts
Forget the Sigma 19mm for video. Its AF is jerky. Good only for stills. See posts by Mike "power":
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1630909
~>Miha<~ is offline Find More Posts by ~>Miha<~
Old Dec 03, 2012, 04:38 PM
Joined Oct 2012
784 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~>Miha<~ View Post
Forget the Sigma 19mm for video. Its AF is jerky. Good only for stills. See posts by Mike "power":
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1630909
Why would you use AF on video shot from a copter?
Old Dec 03, 2012, 04:39 PM
Joined Jul 2008
397 Posts
I was literally just looking at this lens for my ecilop... think I am going to buy it to replace the 18-55/16mm pancake
Old Dec 03, 2012, 04:44 PM
Joined Jul 2008
397 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaitsevsky View Post
There are no universal values.

Gain for this Ecilop Esasy is 12

Gain for this Ecilop Stereo is 14
Hi Aleksey - do you use the same gain for tilt and roll?
Old Dec 03, 2012, 05:02 PM
Joined Dec 2009
1,457 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanGold View Post
Why would you use AF on video shot from a copter?
Because my hamster simply won't stay on the copter to adjust the focus for me ;-)
Old Dec 03, 2012, 05:17 PM
Czech Republic, Hlavní město Praha, Prague
Joined Sep 2012
21 Posts
Now it is time for me to change the propellers. I have plastic ones 13x4.5 and it seems the Xoars must be better. I thing 13" will produce great trust but what pitch would you recommend me for MK3638 motors? Somebody told me that higher pitch is important for good stability. This topic was not discused here yet. How important are these values for thrust/stability? And in windy day?
Ulda is offline Find More Posts by Ulda
Old Dec 03, 2012, 06:31 PM
Joined Oct 2012
203 Posts
Not sure about specs but love the Xoars.

Regarding the lenses, thx for all the feedback. That 16-50 also looks very interesting. They also have a 35mm 1.8 prime coming out which could be great for certain shots. Still eyeing the Sigma, just comes down to if it introduces rolling shutter or not. I'm still learning the effective ranges right now though so we will see.

I would love to learn if there are IR zoom control codes for your 16-50mm. If so, I already have the program to send them.
Last edited by InfinitR; Dec 03, 2012 at 06:37 PM.
Old Dec 03, 2012, 06:50 PM
Joined Dec 2009
1,457 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinitR View Post
Still eyeing the Sigma, just comes down to if it introduces rolling shutter or not.
Rolling shutter (wobble/jello) generated by a lens?
Old Dec 03, 2012, 07:04 PM
Joined Oct 2012
784 Posts
Quote:
Because my hamster simply won't stay on the copter to adjust the focus for me ;-)
FWIW DOF for a 16mm lens at f4 on a Nex 5N is 5.6 feet to infinity when focus is set to 11 feet. So stopped down any further, as is likely when shooting video in bright light, DOF is greater still. DOF is calculated based on an 8x10 print viewed from about a foot away. I would think DOF requirements on 1080P video would be significantly less since you only have the equivalent resolution of a much smaller print. But I don't know how DOF is calculated for video.

One problem with AF in video is that it can lock onto a subject that you don't necessarily want it to focus on. When this happens, your shot may be ruined.
Old Dec 03, 2012, 07:23 PM
Joined Oct 2012
203 Posts
Quote:
Rolling shutter (wobble/jello) generated by a lens?
Yep. I haven't compared with vs without lens stabilization yet.