HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 30, 2012, 12:12 PM
Joined Aug 2008
227 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaitsevsky View Post
Is you gimbal stable during power on? there must be no movements during few seconds to initialize properly. That is why I'm suggesting to use a different switch for an equipment.
Is it okay if I let the gimbal inclined during power on ?
thomasamoth is offline Find More Posts by thomasamoth
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 30, 2012, 01:43 PM
Vilnius, Lithuania (EU)
Joined May 2009
572 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasamoth View Post
Is it okay if I let the gimbal inclined during power on ?
yes, it can be tilted, but not moving.
Zaitsevsky is offline Find More Posts by Zaitsevsky
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 30, 2012, 04:05 PM
Bert'sEyeViews of NYC
United States, NY, New York
Joined May 2011
167 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaitsevsky View Post
....That is why I'm suggesting to use a different switch for an equipment.
Are you saying the gimbal servos should not be powered during start-up?
nycewheels is offline Find More Posts by nycewheels
Old Oct 30, 2012, 05:43 PM
Joined Aug 2012
311 Posts
Well, there always has to be a first crash...I was shooting stills but have a GoPro mounted where FPV cameras usually go. I was very lucky my Ecilop landed on long grass. 1 metre away there was a huge log... At first I thought I'd got a radio problem (like being shot down in old FM days) as the response was all wrong. I then thought maybe I'd flown into the beam of a small microwave link (is that ever a problem ?). But now I'm thinking my props weren't done up tight enough. Would you agree after listening to the sound? I broke a prop and the leg support under one motor, but noticed 2 of the props were a bit loose (after some mods yesterday). I was flying again later...lesson learnt !

Ecilop First Crash, doh (0 min 22 sec)
TAP993 is offline Find More Posts by TAP993
Old Oct 30, 2012, 05:59 PM
Joined Aug 2008
227 Posts
Thanks for your advices, it is a bit better

Erreteguia (0 min 17 sec)
thomasamoth is offline Find More Posts by thomasamoth
Old Oct 30, 2012, 06:56 PM
Mexico, JAL, Guadalajara
Joined Mar 2012
381 Posts
RTF 6900dls?

Sorry to bother but is just my opinion. I would LOVE to buy one ecilop ARF but if buying it RTF with the additional gear included how did it go to 6900 dls?

Thats even more expensive than a Zennmuse with an S800 plus camera, fpv gear and Tx/Rx, also the build and calibration is not as elaborate and tricky...
jocheluich is online now Find More Posts by jocheluich
Old Oct 30, 2012, 07:15 PM
Vilnius, Lithuania (EU)
Joined May 2009
572 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycewheels View Post
Are you saying the gimbal servos should not be powered during start-up?
You must not rotate the gyroscope during initialization
Zaitsevsky is offline Find More Posts by Zaitsevsky
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 30, 2012, 07:56 PM
Japan, Tokyo, Chiyoda
Joined Oct 2010
239 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patscherpofel View Post
they dont provide a clean hdmi out so you cant record the uncompressed data with an external divice and get much better quality hopefully there will be hacks for nex cameras in the future
Only the Nikon D800 offers a 'clean' uncompressed HDMI output, and 5D3 should from April next year.

For Canon owners, there is a quite simple way around using an add on called Magic Lantern, that will give you clean HDMI on a (limited but growing) number of camera. This is experimental but has been tested extensively on many camera, and do not leave permanent modifications on your camera. If you need it, I recommend it.

In any case, it would cost you another 1000+ USD to record the HDMI on a SSD (look for Ninja 2 at B&H photovideo).

Anyway so far the Ecilop is not able to accept the 1.5kg payload that is needed to put a good DSLR in the air, so I am waiting for the octo version
When I get one, and once I fly properly with it, I should be able to share some interesting images

Alain
www.alaindavreux.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAP993 View Post
Well, there are definitely people aiming for at least a high bitrate hack which would mean the weight of an external recorder would not be necessary
see
http://www.eoshd.com/content/8722/so...t-1080p-tested
and http://www.nex-hack.com/index.php/fo...roject-general
yes, a hack has made a breakthrough this summer for the Next, but trust me it will take a while before you get a stable and fully functional version like Magic Lantern ... don't hold your breath on this one (if you do not want to risk damage on your camera, if you are fine with beta testing you should help them ).
alainphoto is offline Find More Posts by alainphoto
Last edited by alainphoto; Oct 30, 2012 at 08:13 PM.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 07:57 PM
Joined Dec 2009
1,465 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocheluich View Post
Sorry to bother but is just my opinion. I would LOVE to buy one ecilop ARF but if buying it RTF with the additional gear included how did it go to 6900 dls?

Thats even more expensive than a Zennmuse with an S800 plus camera, fpv gear and Tx/Rx, also the build and calibration is not as elaborate and tricky...
Well, if you don't want to pay someone for building your kit then simply build it yourself like most people do.

In this case RTF is not just a "RTF kit" (all parts needed but not assembled) but as the page says a "assembled, customized, and tested" machine. Heck, it even has the Futaba Tx/Rx, lipos, chargers camera etc. It's for people with more money than building skills or who simply don't have the time and want to be in the air quickly. It's pretty normal to add a few kUSD for the RTF work, just do a research on the market.

If you buy just all the parts you'll end up at maybe USD 3.5k plus your own work (you decide how much is your hourly rate...)
~>Miha<~ is offline Find More Posts by ~>Miha<~
Old Oct 30, 2012, 08:08 PM
Joined Dec 2009
1,465 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocheluich View Post
I just checked that out of curiosity:

DJI WKM + S800 + Zenmuse gimbal Combo Fully Built and Test Flown = $6,600.00 (simply because not much work required to assemble it)

So, yes, if you add just a GoPro 1 as camera, then it will be slightly cheaper than the Ecilop RTF Problem is only that those S800 fall from the sky like frogs (each day crash reports) and the nice Zenmuse will be junk. Until you crash it it works incredibly good however:

crash (1 min 14 sec)

Skip to 00:50 for the interesting part. Watch how it keeps steady even during the fall with the frame yawing at something like 180 RPM.

In some cases DJI did replace the crashed machines (the firmware of one sensor unit had a bug), but many people had to cut their losses, for instance this poor guy who used XOAR props instead of the faulty DJI props (his machine crashed because of the firmware bug but as he used one non-DJI component, the props, they had found a cheap excuse):

S800 Flip (0 min 51 sec)

To quote the guy that helped him build the machine: "But in Marown case he wanted to work with this machine and get his investment back, which hurts double !"

Up to you jocheluich in which rig you want to invest your cash...
~>Miha<~ is offline Find More Posts by ~>Miha<~
Last edited by ~>Miha<~; Oct 30, 2012 at 08:26 PM.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 12:38 AM
Joined Oct 2012
203 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alainphoto View Post
Only the Nikon D800 offers a 'clean' uncompressed HDMI output, and 5D3 should from April next year.

For Canon owners, there is a quite simple way around using an add on called Magic Lantern, that will give you clean HDMI on a (limited but growing) number of camera. This is experimental but has been tested extensively on many camera, and do not leave permanent modifications on your camera. If you need it, I recommend it.

In any case, it would cost you another 1000+ USD to record the HDMI on a SSD (look for Ninja 2 at B&H photovideo).

Anyway so far the Ecilop is not able to accept the 1.5kg payload that is needed to put a good DSLR in the air, so I am waiting for the octo version
When I get one, and once I fly properly with it, I should be able to share some interesting images

Alain
www.alaindavreux.com

yes, a hack has made a breakthrough this summer for the Next, but trust me it will take a while before you get a stable and fully functional version like Magic Lantern ... don't hold your breath on this one (if you do not want to risk damage on your camera, if you are fine with beta testing you should help them ).
I am using magic lantern on my 50D and it works very well. Like you said, there is a payload issue. But I think I'd still rather tote around an NEX than a 50D. I don't really understand what the big deal is about letting you record off camera or not. Why in the world is it an issue to allow this? Personally I don't even care about that at this point, I just want it clean for my OSD which is a perfectly reasonable request. I can only hope that Sony is listening.

I just received my Ecilop (woohoo!). Haven't opened it yet (about to) but it looks like a good candidate for an X8 if you really want the extra payload.
InfinitR is offline Find More Posts by InfinitR
Old Oct 31, 2012, 12:41 AM
Joined Oct 2012
203 Posts
Ouch, those S800 crashes are brutal! That hurts.

TAP, ouch too! But it looks like you got a bit lucky from how it could have went. Not sure about the props, but so far that is the only mechanical type crash I have had. Once on my other quad a prop flew off and it came down like a comet. I am much better about checking props now.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 02:16 AM
Japan, Tokyo, Chiyoda
Joined Oct 2010
239 Posts
InfinitR > the reason for the external recording is that it takes huge amounts of bandwith to write uncompressed fullHD flows, and no DSLR is capable of that now. It takes a good SSD to accept this kind of flow, you won't do that with a compact flash.

So they have to compress it. That requires huge amount of processing power to do with minimum compression artifact, and because they have limited processing power, the DSLR compress it quite badly (low birates and visible artifact). For example it takes a good home computer and several hours including several passes over the same video to convert a blue ray movie into a good 4Go version. No camera will do that on the fly.

So, if you want clean work you can't relly on any DSLR, or even many video cameras, so you go for external recording, you take an uncompressed flow out and you basically output it to an SSD, and keep the compression for later.

I fully understand for most folks who fly, this is no issue. In the same way many people will not get why I need to lift an expensive still camera with even more expensive lens rather than a next. Those are simply different needs

I hope that help to clarify
Alain
alainphoto is offline Find More Posts by alainphoto
Old Oct 31, 2012, 05:13 AM
Slovenská republika, Bratislavský kraj, Bratislava - Podunajské Biskupice
Joined Feb 2011
821 Posts
hm, I thought DJI has already fixed those crash issues in the latest software release... or is this some new problem?
stanleyy is offline Find More Posts by stanleyy
Old Oct 31, 2012, 07:37 AM
Joined Oct 2012
203 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alainphoto View Post
InfinitR > the reason for the external recording is that it takes huge amounts of bandwith to write uncompressed fullHD flows, and no DSLR is capable of that now. It takes a good SSD to accept this kind of flow, you won't do that with a compact flash.

So they have to compress it. That requires huge amount of processing power to do with minimum compression artifact, and because they have limited processing power, the DSLR compress it quite badly (low birates and visible artifact). For example it takes a good home computer and several hours including several passes over the same video to convert a blue ray movie into a good 4Go version. No camera will do that on the fly.

So, if you want clean work you can't relly on any DSLR, or even many video cameras, so you go for external recording, you take an uncompressed flow out and you basically output it to an SSD, and keep the compression for later.

I fully understand for most folks who fly, this is no issue. In the same way many people will not get why I need to lift an expensive still camera with even more expensive lens rather than a next. Those are simply different needs

I hope that help to clarify
Alain
Thanks

What I meant was that I do not understand why they are preventing this functionality...not the ability to record on camera but just to have the clean screen. Maybe just an oversight or is there some political reason?

On another note, finished my frame build ... BUT messed up the vibration dampers. Darn! I over tightened being paranoid about that part coming loose. Now I have to wait for replacements. Oh well, still waiting for a few components anyways.

Excellent packaging by the way. Well organized and fun to build.