HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 26, 2012, 12:11 AM
Fresno CA
Joined Jul 2006
1,738 Posts
Discussion
The Real Clark Y airfoil and others

Thought some of might like to see what a real Clark Y looks like.

Notice it has a thickness of 11.72% and 3.56% camber. It is not a " flat bottom airfoil as many think. It was designed for heavy lifting and fuel ecomony for early prop driven cargo planes. But works well for models to!

The other airfoil is the AG03 airfoil. It has a 6.24 % thickness and 2.03% camber. While part of the airfoil extends below the chord line it can be consered a flat bottomed airfoil . Mark Drela designed it to be easily built while flat on the table. Works very well for small gliders and powered models

If you'd like I can post others as long as I have them in my library

Blue Skies........................Tim
RWCLOUD is offline Find More Posts by RWCLOUD
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 26, 2012, 07:10 AM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
11,194 Posts
Most of the planes that used the Clark-Y were 1920's and 30's light aircraft like the Monocoups and a some fighters, like the Curtis Hawk and Hawker Hurricane. I cant think of any real 'heavy lifter' type applications, though there may be some I'm unaware of?

But yeah.. it's not really 'flat bottom', or at least only the rear botton part is flat. It's a much abused airfoil, some seem to think anything with a curved top and a flat bottom is a Clark-Y
JetPlaneFlyer is offline Find More Posts by JetPlaneFlyer
Old Apr 26, 2012, 07:22 AM
Build straight - Fly twisty
Australia, QLD, Little Mountain
Joined Feb 2010
4,167 Posts
Charles A. Lindbergh's Spirit of St. Louis had, I believe, a Clark Y wing.
On takeoff it sure needed to do some heavy lifting.
Whiskers is online now Find More Posts by Whiskers
Old Jul 05, 2012, 11:02 AM
Damn this gets addictive.
United Kingdom
Joined Oct 2011
515 Posts
RWCLOUD. Thanks for the post. Very useful
Any idea what airfoil the Hawker Tempest used and would you have that in your library?
TCF
Thechittyfather is offline Find More Posts by Thechittyfather