HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 25, 2012, 10:00 PM
high flyer
Sydney, Australia
Joined May 2008
3,082 Posts
Discussion
Our rescue boat for rc boats

This is our rescue boat that we use to rescue our rc boats. We started off with the HK swap dawg. We stripped the bottom off it and mounted it to a bodyboard. We tried a few different motors on it but it would never steer right. We added dagger boards under the body board and the steering was a little better.

We then came up with the EDF unit idea. Its a 64mm 4300kv EDF unit ($20 from HK). We screwed into the back of the EDF unit and mounted a servo under it. Its only a 9g gram servo that was off the swamp dawg. It works extremely well.

Dad and I own a pair of piranha brushless boats. This rescue boat has plenty of power to push the boat in even if its upside down. The only downfall with this boat is that the steering is super sensitive and may take a few goes to couple the boat in the front of it.

Just thought I would share our idea of our rescue boat as it works well and might help some of you out there.
stalyoni is offline Find More Posts by stalyoni
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 25, 2012, 10:08 PM
United States, LA, Houma
Joined Jun 2008
1,325 Posts
the rescue boat looks fun and effective!
i have a big df unit i was gonna do something similar with.
glad it worked out.
igotit is offline Find More Posts by igotit
Old Apr 25, 2012, 10:13 PM
high flyer
Sydney, Australia
Joined May 2008
3,082 Posts
yeah thanks. Its noisy and my 3s 1000mah nano tech only lasts about 3mins on it but thats enough to make a rescue. I have a few 1000mah lipos to use on it.
Old Apr 26, 2012, 04:23 AM
RELAX. You'll live longer
Brisbane- Australia
Joined Jul 2007
2,973 Posts
Pretty cool aren't they.
Have a read through this old thread of mine you might get some more ideas.
Be sure to read through to the Mk4 version.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=845000

All the best.
Paul.
785boats is offline Find More Posts by 785boats
Old Apr 26, 2012, 05:01 AM
high flyer
Sydney, Australia
Joined May 2008
3,082 Posts
paul i think your twin edf idea was way better. Our idea of having the EDF pushing it along was that nothing was on the underside to get caught. If the boat your rescuing had run into weed or something then you wouldnt want your rescue boat to get caught into it ether.

Ours has no reverse as well and makes for a tricky time trying to line it up. Sometimes it takes a few goes but you get there in the end.

Dad only knows one speed and thats flat out. He always flips his and I make him go swim for it most of the time but now we have a functional rescue boat it will be allot easier.

It even steers well into the wind.
Old May 06, 2012, 04:36 PM
high flyer
Sydney, Australia
Joined May 2008
3,082 Posts
We recently put a 60a 1/10 car esc into our rescue boat and it will now go into reverse. Heres a video of it in action in my dads spa:

Our home made rescue boat (1 min 15 sec)
Old May 06, 2012, 06:06 PM
Memento Mori
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined Sep 2009
2,969 Posts
I started reading on Pauls edf rescue rig and started planning to do the same with a spare 64mm edf fan. I wanted to do maybe 2 50mm edfs, but ended up buying another 50mm airframe kit so needed the esc and fan lol... The 64mm i have no need for though, so can be used for this project. So far I waterproofed a air rx and air esc. I also waterproofed a servo. With that I won't need to build a radio box for the esc and rx.

Waterproofing Test: Submerged esc, rx and servo (6 min 14 sec)
Diesel6401 is online now Find More Posts by Diesel6401
Old May 06, 2012, 06:24 PM
RELAX. You'll live longer
Brisbane- Australia
Joined Jul 2007
2,973 Posts
You guys are going to have so much fun.
785boats is offline Find More Posts by 785boats
Old May 06, 2012, 06:28 PM
high flyer
Sydney, Australia
Joined May 2008
3,082 Posts
how did you water proof the components because we still keep getting the RX wet even when its inside a ballon?
Old May 06, 2012, 07:29 PM
Thermite + ice = Big boom.
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Apr 2009
2,247 Posts
put silicone on the neck of the balloon before zip tying it shut.
I believe diesel uses liquid electrical tape for everything (the spray stuff)
boaterguy is offline Find More Posts by boaterguy
Old May 06, 2012, 07:38 PM
high flyer
Sydney, Australia
Joined May 2008
3,082 Posts
ok thanks for that.

We actually use a turnigy DLUX airplane 100amp esc in our rc boats. We just used epoxy in all the cracks to waterproof it and then we paint it with liquid electrical tape and it works well.

There about a 1/4 of the price of a proper rc boat esc. Only problem is we have to use a rubber band to pull the trigger foward so the airplane esc arms when its turned on.

We have leopard 2860 2730kv motors in our rc boats but mine is starting to make a noise. I found some tacon 2858 2618kv motors for only $20 each so we ordered 3.

Do you guys know if tacon is just a cheaper version of the leopard motors as they seem almost the same.
Old May 07, 2012, 02:11 PM
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Apr 2009
2,247 Posts
Yeah, they are the same motor, just a little lower quality in some cases.
Old May 07, 2012, 03:25 PM
high flyer
Sydney, Australia
Joined May 2008
3,082 Posts
thanks boaterguy

I will see how the tacon motors compares when the leopard finally packs it in
Old May 12, 2012, 03:38 AM
high flyer
Sydney, Australia
Joined May 2008
3,082 Posts
made two very quick recoveries today after my dad crashed into my boat and flipped it over. We had a pretty decent collision and dads boat was upside down too. When i picked up my boat it had a huge whole in the bottom of it after the collision we had.

Dad felt bad so he ordered me an apparition II twin. We should be able to use most of the stuff we already have in it. Cant wait to get it going now. Should be here in a week.
Old May 12, 2012, 08:33 AM
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Apr 2009
2,247 Posts
Good job with the guilt tripping, I gotta try that sometime!