HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 25, 2012, 07:57 PM
Picture a worm wearing goggles
United States, CA, Roseville
Joined Feb 2012
1,838 Posts
Discussion
Bad Products, and bad customer service

I want to show you some pics of the new 70mm combo kit I just got from Hobbypartz, an affiliate of Nitro planes. Notice the scar from the blades hitting the fan unit. When I ask them to send me a new fan unit they tell me "It;s back ordered" They have many in stock but don't want to open a combo kit to make things right. Beware of these companies!
snipeworm is online now Find More Posts by snipeworm
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 30, 2012, 01:00 PM
United States, CA, Industry
Joined Jan 2011
586 Posts
Order Number

Hi Snipeworm,
What was your order number? We do apologize for the inconvenience. If we could take one out of the combos for you, we would but unfortunately we are not allowed to. I can see if we have a spare in the warehouse for you. Thank you and we look forward to hearing from you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by snipeworm View Post
I want to show you some pics of the new 70mm combo kit I just got from Hobbypartz, an affiliate of Nitro planes. Notice the scar from the blades hitting the fan unit. When I ask them to send me a new fan unit they tell me "It;s back ordered" They have many in stock but don't want to open a combo kit to make things right. Beware of these companies!
Nitro_Nancy is offline Find More Posts by Nitro_Nancy
Site Sponsor
Old Apr 30, 2012, 03:14 PM
Joined Feb 2012
1,838 Posts
Order number

yhst-62196343123315-275961
Old May 01, 2012, 01:23 PM
Joined Feb 2012
1,838 Posts
It has been a week since I recieved the fan and nothing yet......
Old May 01, 2012, 02:21 PM
Joined Jul 2011
140 Posts
Hello,

I have sent you a PM regarding this issue.

Thank you,
Danny V
NitroTechnician is offline Find More Posts by NitroTechnician
Old May 01, 2012, 03:10 PM
Joined Feb 2012
1,838 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroTechnician View Post
Hello,

I have sent you a PM regarding this issue.

Thank you,
Danny V
I received it.... I will keep everyone here informed of the outcome.
Old May 02, 2012, 04:04 PM
Joined Feb 2012
1,838 Posts
They just told me they would take one off the shelf per supervisors approval and send it to me. I will let you know when UPS tells me they have it.
Old May 03, 2012, 10:02 PM
Joined Feb 2012
1,838 Posts
Well I didn't see anything today in email. I usually see an email from UPS when Hobbypartz sends me items. So we are going on two weeks now and I still have an unusable fan unit. Sad customer service from Hobbypartz
Old May 05, 2012, 12:18 PM
Joined Feb 2012
1,838 Posts
Still no confirmation of shipping. I was told it should have shipped out yesterday and I am still waiting.
Old May 07, 2012, 10:15 AM
Joined Feb 2012
1,838 Posts
Can you tell me when to expect the new fan?
Old May 07, 2012, 08:55 PM
Joined Feb 2012
1,838 Posts
Ok , got an email that the fan was shipped today. Will post when it arrives.
Old May 09, 2012, 07:05 AM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,364 Posts
Sometimes I wonder if perhaps if some exspect to much to little?

The only items I have purchased from hobbypartz are Gens Ace 25C 1,000 and 2000 3S LiPolys ,,EMb AA and AAAs and they ave always shipped fast and all batteries have performed very well. One of the 3S 1,000 has a cell with an IR 50% greater than the other two however it is still a decent performing battery.

Since batteries are a more automated process than motors, and assembled Ducted Fan Units there in lies the problem or atleast part of it. Should we expect a discount on line vendor to open and check / test run every model they sell. My guess is that some would then complain about receivinhg used goods.

I know if I purchase an AVI or Scorpion outrunner brushless motor I expect top quality however with a Turnigy and such I set my expections very low and plan on taking the new motor apart, checking the wiring,soldering, regluing the magnets,removing any rust,checking and perhaps replacing the bearings and of course checking the Kv to see what it really is as many are way off.

I am not saying we should not expect reasonable quality I just wonder how many would be willing to pay another 20 to 40% for it?

Edit Added 8:30 AM

I just happen to think of a few less than stellar QC issues from one of the leading vendors.

When the mcp X was first released there were many reports of it throwing main blades ,that was corrected and a few improvement made and the V2 was released. More recently the umx GeeBee was released and many had a serious over current shout down issue which results in many bad crashes. The Carbon Cub has just been released and I have read way to many reports of problems with the elevator servos which some atleast seem to be from binding due to improper servo position and improper servo cover positioning.

My guess is that an experienced RC Modeler who took the time to give each of these aircraft a very through going over could have avouded these issue atleast to the point of preventing a crash.

In the case of the OP fan unit draging my guess is that either the fan is to far back on the motor's shaft, the motor is mounted to far back in the fan housing or the fan does not run true. All of these are likely a very easy fix for an experiened hobbiest.

Charles
everydayflyer is online now Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Last edited by everydayflyer; May 09, 2012 at 07:37 AM.
Old May 09, 2012, 08:00 AM
Joined Feb 2012
1,838 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by everydayflyer View Post
Sometimes I wonder if perhaps if some exspect to much to little?

The only items I have purchased from hobbypartz are Gens Ace 25C 1,000 and 2000 3S LiPolys ,,EMb AA and AAAs and they ave always shipped fast and all batteries have performed very well. One of the 3S 1,000 has a cell with an IR 50% greater than the other two however it is still a decent performing battery.

Since batteries are a more automated process than motors, and assembled Ducted Fan Units there in lies the problem or atleast part of it. Should we expect a discount on line vendor to open and check / test run every model they sell. My guess is that some would then complain about receivinhg used goods.

I know if I purchase an AVI or Scorpion outrunner brushless motor I expect top quality however with a Turnigy and such I set my expections very low and plan on taking the new motor apart, checking the wiring,soldering, regluing the magnets,removing any rust,checking and perhaps replacing the bearings and of course checking the Kv to see what it really is as many are way off.

I am not saying we should not expect reasonable quality I just wonder how many would be willing to pay another 20 to 40% for it?

Edit Added 8:30 AM

I just happen to think of a few less than stellar QC issues from one of the leading vendors.

When the mcp X was first released there were many reports of it throwing main blades ,that was corrected and a few improvement made and the V2 was released. More recently the umx GeeBee was released and many had a serious over current shout down issue which results in many bad crashes. The Carbon Cub has just been released and I have read way to many reports of problems with the elevator servos which some atleast seem to be from binding due to improper servo position and improper servo cover positioning.

My guess is that an experienced RC Modeler who took the time to give each of these aircraft a very through going over could have avouded these issue atleast to the point of preventing a crash.

In the case of the OP fan unit draging my guess is that either the fan is to far back on the motor's shaft, the motor is mounted to far back in the fan housing or the fan does not run true. All of these are likely a very easy fix for an experiened hobbiest.

Charles
I understand your point of quality expectations for low price products but there are a few things to consider,
1. Hobbypartz constantly advertises itself as a customer satisfaction based business.

2. The Unit had been tested and that was what caused the rash into the unit but they sent it out. If Hobbypartz doesn't want to check the units before they selll it with their name on it then they need to quickly replace the items they send out that are not up to par.

3. Should I really be expected to write off 50 dollars to "It was cheap anyway"? If I have wasted 50 bucks then it was cheap at all!

4. I shouldn't have to post pictures of the poor quality item I received and post on forums to twist their arm to make it right. I have spent enough money with Hobbypartz to be considered a valued customer and had planned to spend more but if I have to fight to get what I order (new condition edf) then I am going to think twice
Old May 09, 2012, 04:59 PM
Joined Feb 2012
1,838 Posts
I finally received the replacement fan today. Has a minor scratch inside the housing but I can live with it if the blades will spin without hitting the shroud. Thank you Hobbypartz for sending the unit out.