SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 25, 2012, 07:42 PM
Wirral, UK
Joined Jan 2007
302 Posts
Discussion
how do you fly boys manage to get google earth tracks with gps speed points?

Hi all,

I have noticed on various posts, that when flying, and then recording with google earth, you can reproduce your path with a graph below that appears to give gps speed, and plots on the google earth map. I may be talking total rubbish here, but its exactly what I want, but, I am using a fast model boat, with v3 data logger, lcd, gps and rev counter, but really want to see my path, and the speed at given points, on a google earth map.

I have tried for so long to get this info, and am sure its user error, so would appreciate any guidance if its possible
pmdevlin is offline Find More Posts by pmdevlin
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 26, 2012, 07:17 AM
Resistance is Futile
United States, FL, Panama City Beach
Joined Oct 2001
2,680 Posts
In Google Earth right-clicking anywhere on the track and choosing Show Elevation Profile will bring up a dialog that allows you to select any two elements in the data depending on how much data is provided in the file.

Hope this helps,

Rob
camship is offline Find More Posts by camship
Old May 03, 2012, 05:11 AM
Joined Mar 2012
21 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by camship View Post
to select any two elements in the data depending on how much data is provided in the file.
Yep. This is a good question - how much data is provided in the KML file
For me i solved the problem with a little Perl script - sorry, cause the upload limitations You can rename it to convert.pl
But, before downloading - i hope, You have a little knowledge about Perl, programming and different environments ( i use this one under CygWin, but hope, it's easy to run on every env with basic Perl)

What it does? It takes a FDR file (EagleTree saved session) as input (arg1) and a name of KML file as arg2, and parses from FDR to a KML file - simple.
What it doesn't? Multiple sessions - they are taken just as only one. If You want to view only one session, pls. save only this session with ET app
What it can do? To save ANY FDR data in KML. But, for that You must use a text editor and change the printparams hash definition.
cuprum is offline Find More Posts by cuprum
Old May 03, 2012, 07:47 AM
Resistance is Futile
United States, FL, Panama City Beach
Joined Oct 2001
2,680 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuprum View Post
Yep. This is a good question - how much data is provided in the KML file
For me i solved the problem with a little Perl script - sorry, cause the upload limitations You can rename it to convert.pl
But, before downloading - i hope, You have a little knowledge about Perl, programming and different environments ( i use this one under CygWin, but hope, it's easy to run on every env with basic Perl)

What it does? It takes a FDR file (EagleTree saved session) as input (arg1) and a name of KML file as arg2, and parses from FDR to a KML file - simple.
What it doesn't? Multiple sessions - they are taken just as only one. If You want to view only one session, pls. save only this session with ET app
What it can do? To save ANY FDR data in KML. But, for that You must use a text editor and change the printparams hash definition.
That's really cool but doing it on the fly in "Live Mode" is the trick.

Have a good one,

Rob
camship is offline Find More Posts by camship
Old May 04, 2012, 01:35 AM
Joined Mar 2012
21 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by camship View Post
but doing it on the fly in "Live Mode" is the trick.
Hmm, do You mean "Live Mode" with or without ET soft?
The first one can only fix some silly bugs/unchanged GE formats in ET output.
Second one needs a (USB-HID) interface description. I'm not sure, i have a time to rev-eng this one.
cuprum is offline Find More Posts by cuprum