HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 25, 2012, 05:58 PM
NaN
Manchester, UK
Joined Nov 2005
3,735 Posts
Discussion
Silverlit iWingz with 2.4GHz DSM2 DT / Deltang actuator receiver (2CH proportional)

I have a few of the Silverlit iBird and iWingz ornithopters, and I think they're great, apart from the range. I've had real trouble with them under bright lights in a sports hall at indoor fly-ins, so I decided to convert one to 2.4GHz DSM2 so I could fly it with one of my nicer transmitters, and have no range problems.

I've been interested in the DT / Deltang ultra light weight DSM2 receivers, from www.deltang.co.uk and I bought a DT Rx42 a while ago, with 1.27mm sockets already fitted for two actuators and a motor, as an option, and that seemed ideal. The actuator and motor outputs are fully proportional.

I originally planned to use the Rx42 in a plane so I bought it with a JST-SH (Spektrum AS2000 style) servo socket already fitted, for ailerons, though I'm not using that in this model, so it's just a tiny bit of extra weight. There's also a DT Rx41, for just one actuator, which is a bit lighter. Some people would save more weight by soldering the wires direct to the pads, but my soldering skills aren't too good, and I wanted the receiver to be easily reusable.

The actuator outputs can also be used to drive small 4mm pager motors with forward and revers, so driving the tail rotor in something like the Flytech Dragonfly may be possible too.

The battery is a Fullriver 50mAh lipo, like the one that came out of it, but mounted underneath on velcro to make the CG adjustable, and plugged in with a two pin polarised micro connector.

Here's a short video clip taken by a friend, of me flying the converted iWingz on Saturday, at the St Helens indoor fly-in (Merseyside, UK). I took a few 50mAh Fullriver lipos. One of them was the one that came out of it, one I'd had a while, and three I bought new. I just swapped batteries after a flight so I didn't have to wait for it to recharge.

Silverlit iWingz ornithopter with DT/Deltang Rx42 2.4GHz DSM2 actuator receiver (1 min 20 sec)
Andy2No is offline Find More Posts by Andy2No
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 25, 2012, 06:19 PM
NaN
Manchester, UK
Joined Nov 2005
3,735 Posts
Here are some pictures of the conversion.

Getting the iWingz apart wasn't too difficult. You just have to cut carefully along the seams, avoiding the actuator wires and the battery. The actuator wires are on the left side of the fuselage so I cut the right side panel off. The battery is up under the wing, towards the back of the body.

Taking the wings off seemed difficult so I didn't bother. I just cut the top seam from the underside. The glue is soft and gives easily, plus the EPP shell bends, so it's quite simple to do. Before I put it back I cut along the line where the white EPP joins the painted part of the panel, to make an access hatch. I stuck it all back together with 3M double sided tape.

The hard part, for me, was soldering the 1.27mm plug onto the actuator wires. I'm really not good at that. I struggled to strip the wire ends well enough to take any solder, and I kept breaking them. The receiver ended up towards the back of the body, not where I'd intended to put it, because I was running out of wire. As it turned out, it didn't matter.
Last edited by Andy2No; Apr 25, 2012 at 07:46 PM. Reason: typo
Old Apr 26, 2012, 07:31 PM
Push
Joined Jan 2008
308 Posts
These ornithopters are great machines! I've had lots of these and experimented quite a bit. Since they only weight 10.5 grams anything you can take off will really make a difference in performance. If you move the battery forward the ornithopter will fly faster and the rudder will be more effective but you won't be able to hover, the opposite happens if you move it rearwars, it will hover more easily but the rudder will barely work. I also found that adding a small magnet next to the actuator to make the rudder self center makes the ornithopter stop quicker after turning. I hope this helps so you can get the most out these fun little guys!
XXXmags is online now Find More Posts by XXXmags
Old Apr 26, 2012, 07:40 PM
NaN
Manchester, UK
Joined Nov 2005
3,735 Posts
Cool. I like the self centering rudder idea, XXXmags.

I've been wondering what the effect has been of lowering the battery from its original position. It means I can play with the CG a lot more easily of course. I was thinking having it lower makes it more stable, but maybe less responsive to the rudder. I didn't really notice a problem with that though.

The one thing I don't like about these things is the way they suddenly lose the signal and take a nose dive. It depends a lot on the room you're flying them in (a smaller one with the walls painted white is ideal ) and using the IR range extenders helps, but I don't really have room to fly them at home (too much R/C related junk piled up) so indoor fly-ins are a good place to take them - except for the appalling range problems under those lights.

I could fly it to the far wall with no problems, with the DT Rx fitted though. It just got a bit scared by all the barely under control Parkzone RTFs that were circling menacingly.
Old Apr 27, 2012, 01:20 AM
NaN
Manchester, UK
Joined Nov 2005
3,735 Posts
I finally made a youtube account. Someone had already registered on youtube with my rcgroups username I've had it longer though.

Here's another clip of the 2.4GHz DT Rx42 DSM2 converted iWingz

Silverlit iWingz ornithopter converted to 2.4GHz with DT/DelTang Rx42 DSM2 actuator receiver (0 min 46 sec)
Old Apr 27, 2012, 04:45 PM
Joined Dec 2011
281 Posts
Cool someone sucessfully made something i too had in mind for another ornithopter, Andy do you think that receiver is smaller and or ligther than the ar6300?
Legendary_Agent is offline Find More Posts by Legendary_Agent
Old Apr 27, 2012, 06:16 PM
NaN
Manchester, UK
Joined Nov 2005
3,735 Posts
I've never actually seen an AR6300, Legendary_Agent, but going by the specs, the DT Rx42 is a lot lighter, and a bit smaller. The arrangement of the optional 1.27mm connectors makes it effectively a lot thinner than plugging cables at right angles into an AR6300.

I've met people, at indoor fly-ins, who just solder everything directly to the board, which makes them even lighter, but my soldering skills aren't up to it, and my hands aren't steady enough to do that kind of thing.

http://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/D...odId=SPMAR6300
- 2g, with all those sockets and 18.35mm by 7mm, plus the plugs that go into those sockets are heavier than the 1.27mm plugs that fit the connectors on my Rx42, which are just two thin pins in a plastic spacer block.

http://deltang.co.uk/index.htm
- the Rx42 is 0.32g without connectors and only about twice that with, and is 12.3 x 11.2mm.

The Rx42 isn't the lightest version of the DT DSM2 receivers that could do this job either. I bought that one so I could put it to other uses, and it does things that aren't needed in a 2CH ornithopter - there are two actuator outputs for one thing, and I'm only using one at the moment.
Old Apr 28, 2012, 04:35 AM
NaN
Manchester, UK
Joined Nov 2005
3,735 Posts
Someone gave me a link to the US supplier for these, in another thread where I posted about a different DT / Deltang DSM2 receiver in a twin motor 2CH Siliverlit X-Twin Jet plane (http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...7#post21427096)

The US distributor is http://www.bsdmicrorc.com/index.php?categoryID=63. I bought the Rx42 with the connectors I wanted fitted from http://micronradiocontrol.co.uk/rx_dt.html, in the UK, and I bought the twin ESC one for the plane direct from the designer (also in the UK) at www.deltang.co.uk - also with the connectors I asked for fitted for me.

There are a lot of different versions of the receivers. The closest one to the AR6300 is the Rx33 (http://www.bsdmicrorc.com/index.php?productID=950 or http://micronradiocontrol.co.uk/rx_d...o.html#dt_rx33), which normally comes with four JST-SH sockets on it, as used on the Spektrum AS2000 linear servos (I guess it can also be bought without sockets).

The Rx33 weights 0.65g, with connectors, which is a lot lighter than the AR6300, and again, the plugs you'd use with it are lighter too. The far bigger weight saving comes from the fact that the Rx33 has a built in 2A brushed ESC, like the Rx42 in my converted iWingz.

If you want to use the built in ESC, you may want to order it with a 1.27mm spacing socket fitted, or short wires. I forgot to ask when I ordered mine, and I'm not capable of soldering it so I'll have to use an external ESC.
Old Apr 28, 2012, 09:51 AM
Joined Dec 2011
281 Posts
Thank you very much for your great help Andy2No, its great to be presented with options that are so much better than what i had in mind so since this is dsm2 it will bind to my spektrum dx7s right?
Legendary_Agent is offline Find More Posts by Legendary_Agent
Old Apr 28, 2012, 07:22 PM
NaN
Manchester, UK
Joined Nov 2005
3,735 Posts
You're welcome, Legendary_Agent.

Yes, the Rx42 manual says "The receiver will work with DSM2-capable transmitters (surface and air)", so the DX7s should be fine. I assume they all do both surface and air DSM2, but it would be worth checking the documentation for the particular receiver before trying to use one with a DX3. I'm sure someone will want to.

David T, the designer of the receivers, can be contacted by email, and is very helpful: www.deltang.co.uk/email.htm. That's something else you don't get with the AR6300 - a chance to talk to the guy who designed it and wrote the software, not just some customer services employee