HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 25, 2012, 05:22 PM
Closed Account
Joined Jun 2002
921 Posts
Discussion
New USA / North America Jet Joe Dealer

We have just been setup as the new Jet Joe Dealer/Distributor for the USA and North America. We are currently updating or Website and Jet Joe section will be on there. Initally we will just be selling new turbines and parts. By the end of the year, we will be a complete repair facility, for the Jet Joe turbines. We are also now manfuacturing single bypass exhaust pipes, from .005 Stainsteel. Anyone needing any informartion fell free to email me or call. 407-381-8060

Larry E.
SouthEast Model Products
Orlando, Fl.
LJE4357 is offline Find More Posts by LJE4357
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 26, 2012, 08:57 AM
Pittsburgh Allegheny, Pennsylvania, United States
Joined May 2004
1,190 Posts
Good luck with that. But, I'm sure you know the stigma of JJ in the USA. Not to mention... since the price of the KingTech's are so low... JJ would need to drop their price even more to win back the USA market.

I'm not bashing... I'm just giving you something to think about before loosing money.

One thing... you may want to contact Brett at AusiJets to see what he's doing to them. He seems to be able to build a reliable JJ engine.

***EDIT***

I meant Brett, not Keith. (sorry Brett)
Dr Honda is offline Find More Posts by Dr Honda
Last edited by Dr Honda; Apr 27, 2012 at 08:16 PM.
Old Apr 27, 2012, 04:52 AM
Sydney Australia
Joined Mar 2005
924 Posts
Brett Smith (RC Groups name knobby1) has had some success with these as well.

He's also an aussie & works on full size turbines.

Australia's biggest hobby distributor tried selling JetJoe engines as the JLT but dropped them soon after. I'm with the Dr, If you are a back yard operator good luck but if you have an established business with a good reputation I'd think very carefully about adding these engines (which are unauthorised copies of established designs & have a terrible reputation) to your product line. Still, it's your business. - John.
Boomerang1 is offline Find More Posts by Boomerang1
Old Apr 27, 2012, 05:39 AM
SpeedFreak at heart....
Joined Aug 2006
69 Posts
I'll look again but I can't read anywhere where he asked for comments on his business plans?
molo_30 is offline Find More Posts by molo_30
Old Apr 27, 2012, 08:18 PM
Pittsburgh Allegheny, Pennsylvania, United States
Joined May 2004
1,190 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by molo_30 View Post
I'll look again but I can't read anywhere where he asked for comments on his business plans?
It's a chat board... we talk, and give opinions.

Besides... no one is bashing anyone... we are just giving "Public Opinion" on the subject. If I was starting a Biz... and I got a bunch of negative feedback... I may think twice before putting out my money.
Dr Honda is offline Find More Posts by Dr Honda
Old Apr 28, 2012, 03:55 AM
SpeedFreak at heart....
Joined Aug 2006
69 Posts
One would hope he has done a google search on Jet Joe Turbines.
molo_30 is offline Find More Posts by molo_30
Old Apr 28, 2012, 04:39 AM
Sydney Australia
Joined Mar 2005
924 Posts
Quote:
All I saw was 2 posts giving him the names of a couple of people who may be able to be of some assistance & some history of the 'success' of these engines.

Good luck to him. - John.
Boomerang1 is offline Find More Posts by Boomerang1
Old Apr 28, 2012, 02:08 PM
Bleriot's R Us
Ireland, Donegal
Joined Nov 2003
1,193 Posts
You can build a good reliable turbine from JetJoe components no problem so long as you know what you are doing and have the ability to balance it properly afterwards.
xairflyer is online now Find More Posts by xairflyer
Old Apr 30, 2012, 05:36 PM
SidGates
United States, CO, Denver
Joined Feb 2006
156 Posts
I have known Larry for many years and he doesn't jump into something with his eyes closed.
sidgates50 is offline Find More Posts by sidgates50
Old May 01, 2012, 10:32 AM
Closed Account
Joined Jun 2002
921 Posts
Update

I been sitting back waiting to see how much negativity the post was going to produce. I'm quite suprised, its actually not bad at all. I been following the Jet Joe products ever since they first started. And like a lot of Chinese products, they were junk. But, the one issue I have seen, that in time they get better. JJ has come a long way, he's not up there with the European turbines, but he will get there. MY first exposure to JJ was for the JJ Jr. I have had the turbine for several years, but it's been sitting on my shelf. Last summer I finally took it out of the box and mounted on my Dynamic test stand. ( I'm the guy thats made them). Using my experience that I have with my other bigger turbines, I thought it would be a pice of cake to get it running, Well I tried for a couple of days everything I knew, but it wouldn't run. Then I read the directions. JJ shipped the turbine with a little hand held blower. Unfortunely I used it for something else, so it was no longer available. So I tried my Mikata blower. I tried it at full speed, still wouldn't start. Then I reduced the speed, and BINGO, the little bugger started right up. I let it idle and increased the power. I was very suprised. It was producing over 5.5lbs of thrust, and definetly sounded like a turbine. And, for it's size, it was loud. I have now run it 6 times on the test stand, with constant results. So I installed in a CMP T-45. I did have to make the tail pipe, and am currently making the retracts.

When I seen that JJ no longer had a USA dealer, I contacted them, concequencly I was setup as the North American dealer. A new websit is currently being setup with all the products I make and the JJ product line. Since I have complete machine shop capalability's I will be able to service the JJ line by the end of the year. Some problems I will be able to fix right a way. As for balancing, I am in the process of developing a true Dynamic balancer. The mechanics are complete, and so are some of the electronics. I just have to finish the CPU code. A pic of the balancer will be posted on my site. It will be a product for sale, in 2 versions. Professional and modeler.

For those of you that are interested in my backround, I'm 66 yo, been modeling since I was 5, I got may AMA # when I was 7, and been a member ever since.
I took 2 years of machine shop in high school, and have had some type of shop capabilities ever since. I also got involved in electronics in high school (yea I worked with tubes). I worked with advanced electronics electronics systems while in the US Navy, and have had an FCC radiotelephone license since highschool. When I was 26, I decided to go back to school and earn a BSEE degree. I have spent most of my carrer designing electronics circuits for military equipment. I have 2 pattens as the designer. So those of you that asked if I know what I'm doing, or do I have a business plan. Guess you will have to wait and see. I started SouthEast Model in 1987, and were still here.

Larry Epifanio
SouthEast Model Products Inc.
Orlando. Fla.
LJE4357 is offline Find More Posts by LJE4357
Old May 01, 2012, 01:00 PM
Bleriot's R Us
Ireland, Donegal
Joined Nov 2003
1,193 Posts
Good Luck Larry with your new venture,
as I mentioned in a previous post if you build them yourself run and set them up ready for the customer they will be ok.
I Don't have any experience with the Jetjoe made ECU, but this is one area I would be looking at maybe changing and supplying a genuine gasper one, unless they can be proved to be ok.
The latest JetJoe pump seems to be fairly good, the valves were poor but I see they have a different version now from what I originally got.
xairflyer is online now Find More Posts by xairflyer
Old May 17, 2012, 07:56 PM
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Sep 2003
86 Posts
I wish you the best Larry!!! I would love to see a manufacturer bring a turbine to market without the HUGH markup that seems to be the standard set by all the present day mfgs.
RAMFlyer is online now Find More Posts by RAMFlyer