HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 25, 2012, 03:39 PM
United States, NJ
Joined Sep 2011
160 Posts
Question
How do I get more power out of my Wing? Please read

Took the venture into the fixed wing side of the hobby. I decided to start to something scratch-built for the obvious economical and most logical rookie approach. I had few parts laying around and decided put them to good use.

I opted for a wing as it seem to be the easiest to build with the least amount of money. Using dollar tree foam it measures 28" wingspan and 17.5 at the main cord. No plans were used. I used the following for electronics:

2 DS520 helicopter tail servos
25 amp cheapo esc
ar6110 rx
TP 910mah 25c lipo
2200 kv motor with 5x5 prop

Weighs 22oz RTF

It's first time build and first time flying anything other than a Heli. Only got 3.5 minutes at WOT from the beginning. I think it has good stability but lacking power. Looking for a way to increase power without sacrificing too much flight time as it's short to begin with. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Maiden flight vid. Best viewed in full screen. Wind 15-20mph
Mr.Blazinbones Scratchbuilt (dollar tree) Delta Wing maiden flight (5 min 54 sec)
Bonestockz06 is offline Find More Posts by Bonestockz06
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 25, 2012, 03:53 PM
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
10,467 Posts
A 6 x 4 prop should give more thrust for little or no extra draw on the battery.
JetPlaneFlyer is offline Find More Posts by JetPlaneFlyer
Old Apr 25, 2012, 03:59 PM
United States, NJ
Joined Sep 2011
160 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer View Post
A 6 x 4 prop should give more thrust for little or no extra draw on the battery.
This is exactly why I love this place. You guys are fast and very efficient on the pockets. . Thanks JetPlaneFlyer
Old Apr 25, 2012, 05:09 PM
I don't do Normal
Canada, NT, Yellowknife
Joined Dec 2011
368 Posts
looks like you have lots of power to me
Think you are lacking lift from what I can see it's just a flat plate wing.
Try taping some extra foam on your wing to create a kfm airfoil. try a kfm-2 to start then try a kfm-4
http://static.rcgroups.net/forums/at...ons%289%29.jpg
Pinky_d_brain is offline Find More Posts by Pinky_d_brain
Old Apr 25, 2012, 05:30 PM
United States, NJ
Joined Sep 2011
160 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinky_d_brain View Post
looks like you have lots of power to me
Think you are lacking lift from what I can see it's just a flat plate wing.
Try taping some extra foam on your wing to create a kfm airfoil. try a kfm-2 to start then try a kfm-4
http://static.rcgroups.net/forums/at...ons%289%29.jpg
Hey Pinky, this looks promising. I'm totally not familiar with the process of building those airfoils but I guess it's time for "Higher Learning". I'm going to read it carefully and build it as soon as I'm confident that I'm doing it right. In the mean time I'll change the prop as well. I think the combination of the two are going to make this baby sing very loud.. Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction.
Old Apr 25, 2012, 05:32 PM
Psalms 23:4
Goshen, IN, USA
Joined Nov 2010
267 Posts
I can vouch for the KFm2. I had to carry about 4/5 throttle until I put the KF on it. Now my plane flies quite nicely at 1/2 throttle. It's a lot more stable too.
miniprinter96 is offline Find More Posts by miniprinter96
Old Apr 25, 2012, 05:39 PM
United States, NJ
Joined Sep 2011
160 Posts
I was reading the Kfm2 illustration. I'm confused as to what does the thinckness percentage represents, can anyone elaborate what that number means?

Also, it says "Step at 50% of the cord". Does that mean the added foam will cover half of the wing from the front tip to the middle of the Chord? In my case the Chord is 17", so foam will have to cover half of that?

Sorry for the questions guys, This is truly my first time and I may have bit more than I can chew. Hoping you guys will have the patience.
Old Apr 25, 2012, 05:47 PM
Canada
Joined Nov 2000
6,630 Posts
Just add a 'top' surface to your wing in a passable imitation of a looks sorta like a Clark Y airfoil.. fairly easy and Far more effective (much more lift , far less drag) than a KFM bodge.
Bare is offline Find More Posts by Bare
Old Apr 25, 2012, 05:56 PM
United States, NJ
Joined Sep 2011
160 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bare View Post
Just add a 'top' surface to your wing in a passable imitation of a looks sorta like a Clark Y airfoil.. fairly easy and Far more effective (much more lift , far less drag) than a KFM bodge.
Now this is something I can do, ..
Old Apr 26, 2012, 10:41 AM
I don't do Normal
Canada, NT, Yellowknife
Joined Dec 2011
368 Posts
either way think you need lift
kfm info
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1296458
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1117276

Wing build you can check out for some ideas
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1619684
Pinky_d_brain is offline Find More Posts by Pinky_d_brain
Old Apr 26, 2012, 06:19 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Apr 2009
152 Posts
You can check out my thread here and start from post 10 for my version 2 wing it has about 35 dollars into it and flies nice I have the same a 2200 kv motor and 5x5 apc prop and 1300 mah 3 cell battery and it is putting out like 250 watts it has plenty of power and around 6 min. flight times and it has the kfm2 airfoil.http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1613073
63 nova is offline Find More Posts by 63 nova
Old Apr 27, 2012, 11:31 AM
United States, NJ
Joined Sep 2011
160 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinky_d_brain View Post
I added the kfm-2 and gained one full minute of flight time but didn't notice any increase in power. Going with the bigger prop and 1300mah lipo and see what that does. I think I made it too heavy but I'm already working on a second one which will be less than half it's weight with the kfm2 airfoil. Hopefully it will turnout good. Thanks again

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63 nova View Post
You can check out my thread here and start from post 10 for my version 2 wing it has about 35 dollars into it and flies nice I have the same a 2200 kv motor and 5x5 apc prop and 1300 mah 3 cell battery and it is putting out like 250 watts it has plenty of power and around 6 min. flight times and it has the kfm2 airfoil.http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1613073
I've checked out your thread but see no plans or dimensions for th V2 after post #10. It seems to have a steeper sweep than the original version. Seems sweet but I can't really do much without the dimensions. Thanks