HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old May 01, 2012, 05:45 PM
Launceston Arpt, Tasmania, Australia
Joined Jan 2004
564 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SIRCOL View Post
2 life cells 18mmx65 mm side by side will fit in the place of a 8 cell nicad pack
(4x4x2 ) thats what in the JR XG11 you fit them on the diagonal
note that the ZIPPY 1800 LIFE tx battery sold by Hobby King is just a tad too wide to fit in an old JR 388S. rotating the pack does not help, then it is too high to fit.
E_ferret is offline Find More Posts by E_ferret
to remove ads between posts
Old May 01, 2012, 06:26 PM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
Toronto (Don Mills), Canada
Joined Dec 2002
16,682 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtybird View Post
This equipment will be used to control large scale gas airplanes and jet aircraft capable of 200+mph. This is flight critical software, as much so as the software used in the aerospace industry. It should be tested and certified as per the guidelines of DO-178-B.
Can you provide some evidence that any other manufacturer of radios does this?

Pat MacKenzie
pmackenzie is offline Find More Posts by pmackenzie
Old May 01, 2012, 08:51 PM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined May 2006
6,407 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SIRCOL View Post
2 life cells 18mmx65 mm side by side will fit in the place of a 8 cell nicad pack
(4x4x2 ) thats what in the JR XG11 you fit them on the diagonal
Good point. A 28x28 square has a 39mm diagonal so I can see how that would work. Thank you for pointing that out.
I added a correction to my earlier post.
kgfly is offline Find More Posts by kgfly
Old May 01, 2012, 09:05 PM
BANG IT!!!
United States, PA, Bellefonte
Joined Dec 2007
12,263 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmackenzie View Post

Pat MacKenzie
I personally like this part of the doc and find that it sums up the value of the testing that pertains to the risk being managed.

Consider two aircraft examples
– 1) Software controlling the coffeemakers in the aft galley fails
• Outcome: Likely some grumpy customers, but passenger safety not
compromised (air rage issues due to lack of coffee aside)
– 2) Software controlling the aircraft during an automatic landing in zero
visibility conditions fails
• Outcome: Possibly catastrophic and lives lost
DaOldGuy is offline Find More Posts by DaOldGuy
Old May 01, 2012, 10:41 PM
United States, AZ, Queen Creek
Joined Aug 2004
778 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmackenzie View Post

Pat MacKenzie
Probably not but they should.There are requirements for the hardware that must be met and they do. Its time to control the software. The software controls the hardware.
I would think they would want to do this in order to protect themselves in case something serious happens.
I was sitting in a stands at a jet rally in Phoenix watching the jets turn toward the runway. When they did this they had us in their aiming point for a large part of the turn on the final. All it would take is a short lapse of control for the jet to plow into the stands. I decided it was not a safe place to sit.
If something does happen you can be sure it wont be long before the FAA steps in and creates some restrictions.
dirtybird is offline Find More Posts by dirtybird
Old May 02, 2012, 12:27 AM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
20,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtybird View Post
Probably not but they should.There are requirements for the hardware that must be met and they do. Its time to control the software. The software controls the hardware.
I would think they would want to do this in order to protect themselves in case something serious happens.
I was sitting in a stands at a jet rally in Phoenix watching the jets turn toward the runway. When they did this they had us in their aiming point for a large part of the turn on the final. All it would take is a short lapse of control for the jet to plow into the stands. I decided it was not a safe place to sit.
If something does happen you can be sure it wont be long before the FAA steps in and creates some restrictions.
...you should take a moment to read the other threads about how seriously Jim regards safety through reliability of products. Not just this industry but others as well...
theKM is offline Find More Posts by theKM
Old May 02, 2012, 12:51 AM
Ipoh, Perak Malaysia
Joined Jul 2006
4,011 Posts
Jim,

How about adding a rectifier bridge for the batts input to make the polarity of the battery connector a non-issue, like the new Spektrum DX7s? Probably won't cost much, and would get rid of ALL battery polarity problems/worries when plugging in the tx battery.

chewy
chewytm is online now Find More Posts by chewytm
Old May 02, 2012, 01:40 AM
Expo is built into my thumbs
USA, ID, Niter
Joined Jul 2008
4,485 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDrew View Post
No battery is included. The input connection is a red two pin JST plug (common for small Lipos). The battery compartment is designed the traditional 8 AA type drycell batteries or Nicd/Nimh battery pack. Typical current draw ranges between 60mA and 90mA (full power), depending on the frame rate. So, a 2200mAh 2S Lipo is lasting about 24 hours of continuous on time. Obviously, we don't fly that way and since it has auto-power off, it won't let itself be left on by accident. So, the battery will last a long time.
I think all you guys worried about the battery need to step back and contemplate Jim's post. All but the most hardcore users will be able to go for weeks with out having to charge the transmitter. Most people I see flying don't do more than a dozen flights in a day. A dozen ten minute flights is two hours of run time per flying day. With about 24 hours of runtime out of a 2200mah pack that's a dozen flying days between charges.

Just grab a battery that will fit in the transmitter and don't worry about it. If you are really that concerned get a spare battery THEY ARE CHEAP.
Hance is offline Find More Posts by Hance
Old May 02, 2012, 06:58 AM
United States, IL, North Aurora
Joined Sep 2009
568 Posts
["I decided it was not a safe place to sit.
If something does happen you can be sure it wont be long before the FAA steps in and creates some restrictions."

Not arguing your point, but I seriously doubt the FAA will be getting involved in something that is intended for sport/recreation use. Being responsible and being safe is being defensive (as in looking out for one's self) as you did in that situation. Not saying that the CD or sponsor shouldn't look at spectator safety, just saying....
hook
hook57 is offline Find More Posts by hook57
Old May 02, 2012, 08:48 AM
Joined Jun 2005
34 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hance View Post

Just grab a battery that will fit in the transmitter and don't worry about it. If you are really that concerned get a spare battery THEY ARE CHEAP.
But it has to be a perfect battery, just like the one the smart guy in the club told me about...
jgunpilot is offline Find More Posts by jgunpilot
Old May 02, 2012, 10:38 AM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,836 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chewytm View Post
Jim,

How about adding a rectifier bridge for the batts input to make the polarity of the battery connector a non-issue, like the new Spektrum DX7s? Probably won't cost much, and would get rid of ALL battery polarity problems/worries when plugging in the tx battery.

chewy
The voltage regulation system with soft on/off already has this protection built in. You can attach the battery backwards and nothing happens.
JimDrew is offline Find More Posts by JimDrew
RCG Plus Member
Old May 02, 2012, 10:46 AM
Look Up
United States, TN, Jamestown
Joined Nov 2003
1,179 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDrew View Post
The voltage regulation system with soft on/off already has this protection built in. You can attach the battery backwards and nothing happens.
Jim, but if you attach the battery backwards the radio will not work, correct? But the radio will not fry.
CiprianGugu is online now Find More Posts by CiprianGugu
Old May 02, 2012, 11:46 AM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
20,187 Posts
...I can't say I've ever managed to connect a red JST connector backwards, you would have to reshape the male plug to do it. the plug in the Aurora 9, you have to get at it from an angle, there's no shroud around the receiving female, and you can indeed get that to connect up incorrectly... and it doesn't like it, magic smoke will happen. having the radio do nothing instead is perfect.
theKM is offline Find More Posts by theKM
Old May 02, 2012, 11:56 AM
Aeronca Driver
USA, CA, Westlake Village
Joined Jul 2006
145 Posts
But you can easily reverse the charging jack polarity and then magic smoke will appear instantly. Had a friend do it. Cooked the radio. Would not have happened it one had to remove battery for charging.

-john
ch701 is online now Find More Posts by ch701
RCG Plus Member
Old May 02, 2012, 12:10 PM
United States, TN, Maryville
Joined Jun 2011
107 Posts
Battery battery battery. Sheesh, enough already. Ask about the cool stuff!

Jim, use 4 AA's next time.
Tony37803 is offline Find More Posts by Tony37803
Closed Thread