HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Nov 05, 2012, 04:05 PM
Joined Sep 2011
96 Posts
Jim, I think I remember a while back you saying something about the new radio having an auto trim function, was I dreaming or am I right? I hope it does because that is something I love about my MP8K, especially on a maiden flight on a new hot plane. Hoping, Tim
xfedex is offline Find More Posts by xfedex
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 06, 2012, 10:27 AM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,883 Posts
Yes, auto trim is there, and it's a feature that I use whenever I maiden models.
JimDrew is online now Find More Posts by JimDrew
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 06, 2012, 11:36 AM
Joined Dec 2007
239 Posts
How would you do auto trim on your maiden flight? Do you hold the sticks in a spot where your airplane is flying nice and level, and have someone hit a button, and then quick release it? Does it take the setting of ever stick position at the same time other than throttle? Or do you do it for each axis separately? I am just curious?
Uff-Da RC is offline Find More Posts by Uff-Da RC
Old Nov 06, 2012, 01:54 PM
Joined Sep 2011
96 Posts
Auto trim

Quote:
Originally Posted by blade thrasher View Post
I actually meant loosing the planes was no fault of my transmitters just my lack of skill and or eye sight. Ill admit I have been known to get disoriented and end up making poor snap decisions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uff-Da RC View Post
How would you do auto trim on your maiden flight? Do you hold the sticks in a spot where your airplane is flying nice and level, and have someone hit a button, and then quick release it? Does it take the setting of ever stick position at the same time other than throttle? Or do you do it for each axis separately? I am just curious?
The Ace MicrpPro 8000 has a button on the top left of the tx, to trim the aileron and elevator all you have to do is fly the plane straight and level and then tap the auto trim button and it will trim the plane out. You can also change the speed that the auto trim works. It is great on a maiden flight of a hot plane. Two weeks ago at a flyin, I bought a combat coroplast plane, glued the fins on and flew it with the Ace and had to use the auto trim. It works great, it is hard to believe that the other radio manufactures don't put this feature on their radios. The guy I bought the plane from couldn't believe it, that is one of the reasons I love my Ace.
xfedex is offline Find More Posts by xfedex
Old Nov 06, 2012, 02:19 PM
United States, TX, Katy
Joined Aug 2009
109 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xfedex View Post
The Ace MicrpPro 8000 has a button on the top left of the tx, to trim the aileron and elevator all you have to do is fly the plane straight and level and then tap the auto trim button and it will trim the plane out. You can also change the speed that the auto trim works. It is great on a maiden flight of a hot plane. Two weeks ago at a flyin, I bought a combat coroplast plane, glued the fins on and flew it with the Ace and had to use the auto trim. It works great, it is hard to believe that the other radio manufactures don't put this feature on their radios. The guy I bought the plane from couldn't believe it, that is one of the reasons I love my Ace.
Never hear about that feature, But now that you mention it make perfect sense, you are correct why the other manufactures don't have this feature?
wwmilanl is offline Find More Posts by wwmilanl
Old Nov 06, 2012, 10:39 PM
Inciting Riots
Joined Dec 2006
9,687 Posts
On the Microstar2000 you can program which channels are corrected with autotrim.
village_idiot is offline Find More Posts by village_idiot
Old Nov 07, 2012, 09:12 AM
Look Up
United States, TN, Jamestown
Joined Nov 2003
1,180 Posts
Jim, are you still working on/planning to work on the little 'box' to be able to display eagletree info on the transmitter? Or, will it be included in the receivers?
CiprianGugu is online now Find More Posts by CiprianGugu
Old Nov 07, 2012, 09:19 AM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,883 Posts
Quote:
Auto-trim has assignable channels. I assign ailerons and elevator only, although you could assign anything you wanted.

I use the spring loaded pull lever (sometimes used for trainer port switching) as the activator. I take the plane off and at some point I move the sticks to where flat and level are, and then pull the switch, let go of the sticks (so they return to neutral), and release the switch. The sub-trims are all moved to the where the sticks were moved. The TRIMS themselves are NOT moved. I always like to have my trims set to 0 on everything I fly, with the major adjustments done by using sub-trims. The reason? I have had cases in the past where I have maxed out my trim, and can't get anymore, in which case I had to 'fly' the plane manually until it was correct by either manually adjusting the servos or by converting the trim amount into a sub-trim amount. Most radios do not have equal proportions of trim to sub-trim. Our radio does, so if you opt not to use auto-trim you can move the trim adjustment amount to the sub-trim and then zero out the trim.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 07, 2012, 09:20 AM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,883 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CiprianGugu View Post
Jim, are you still working on/planning to work on the little 'box' to be able to display eagletree info on the transmitter? Or, will it be included in the receivers?
There is going to be some rather dramatic changes coming shortly. Stay tuned. I will start a new thread pertaining to this. DO NOT clutter this thread with non-transmitter specific babble.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by JimDrew; Nov 08, 2012 at 11:42 AM.
Old Nov 08, 2012, 02:44 PM
Joined Dec 2007
239 Posts
Clarification on the auto trim thing. Do you have to fly level before initiating the switch? or can you initiate the switch, then make the plane fly level, and then release the stick and then un-toggle the switch?
Uff-Da RC is offline Find More Posts by Uff-Da RC
Old Nov 08, 2012, 02:48 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,376 Posts
Quote:
Clarification on the auto trim thing. Do you have to fly level before initiating the switch? or can you initiate the switch, then make the plane fly level, and then release the stick and then un-toggle the switch?
I take it that you have to hold the sticks to a position that will fly the plane straight and level, then pull the auto-trim lever, based on this text that was posted above:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDrew
I take the plane off and at some point I move the sticks to where flat and level are, and then pull the switch, let go of the sticks (so they return to neutral), and release the switch. The sub-trims are all moved to the where the sticks were moved.
I'd also like to say that I really like the fact that when auto-trim is initiated, it actually moves the sub-trims and keeps the normal trims at neutral position. Very nice feature!

Pat
crxmanpat is online now Find More Posts by crxmanpat
Old Nov 08, 2012, 05:50 PM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,883 Posts
Yes, you move the sticks to where it is flying level, pull the lever, and release the sticks (while holding the lever). Once the sticks are at neutral, you release the lever. If the sticks don't return to neutral before the lever is released, NOTHING happens. That is different from Graupner's auto-trim on the MX-24. When you release the lever, the trims are set to whatever the stick positions are. So if you let go of the sticks, your plane is going to be worse off than when you started!
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 08, 2012, 05:53 PM
OOPS
USA, GA, Cochran
Joined Jun 2008
20,170 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDrew View Post
Yes, you move the sticks to where it is flying level, pull the lever, and release the sticks (while holding the lever). Once the sticks are at neutral, you release the lever. If the sticks don't return to neutral before the lever is released, NOTHING happens. That is different from Graupner's auto-trim on the MX-24. When you release the lever, the trims are set to whatever the stick positions are. So if you let go of the sticks, your plane is going to be worse off than when you started!
Thats what I was wondering lol. If you let go too soon or slipped off the sticks..Thats a really cool feature man.I didnt know radios had that feature at all.
Manta1 is offline Find More Posts by Manta1
Old Nov 08, 2012, 05:58 PM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
Toronto (Don Mills), Canada
Joined Dec 2002
16,759 Posts
If it is moving sub trims which are servo specific, and not trims which are stick modifiers, how would it handle something like flaperons?
In other words how would it know that there are two servos connected to the aileron stick, and to ignore the flap stick position command when sub trimming?
Add in elevator-flap compensation and thing could get even more confusing.

Seems a lot more complicated that just having it affect stick trims.

Pat MacKenzie
pmackenzie is online now Find More Posts by pmackenzie
Old Nov 08, 2012, 08:27 PM
Tennessee
Joined Sep 2003
2,335 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDrew View Post
There is going to be some rather dramatic changes coming shortly. Stay tuned. I will start a new thread pertaining to this. DO NOT clutter this thread with non-transmitter specific babble.
How about a thread only you can post to. I get so sick of trying to filter out all the crap in this thread.
ChuckA is offline Find More Posts by ChuckA
Closed Thread