HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Apr 28, 2012, 06:54 AM
The Villages, Florida
Joined May 2003
509 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckA View Post
For the last 15 years, I have ALWAYS charged the transmitter and the first model on the way to the field.
And so did a friend who travelled a lot to different meets..... that is, until one of his chargers failed while charging a lipo and set the back of his van on fire ! Luckily, he was able to pull over quickly and extinguish the fire before considerable damage could be done......

You can continue to do as you wish but he learned his lesson for sure......
JuanRodriguez is offline Find More Posts by JuanRodriguez
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 28, 2012, 08:10 AM
PGR
Low AltiDude
United States, CA, Costa Mesa
Joined Jun 2004
7,993 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanRodriguez View Post
You can continue to do as you wish ......
And you can count on it.

Pete
PGR is offline Find More Posts by PGR
Old Apr 28, 2012, 10:14 AM
Joined Jun 2005
34 Posts
It's good to have Juan's permission though...
jgunpilot is offline Find More Posts by jgunpilot
Old Apr 28, 2012, 10:31 AM
Tennessee
Joined Sep 2003
2,350 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanRodriguez View Post
And so did a friend who travelled a lot to different meets..... that is, until one of his chargers failed while charging a lipo and set the back of his van on fire ! Luckily, he was able to pull over quickly and extinguish the fire before considerable damage could be done......

You can continue to do as you wish but he learned his lesson for sure......
I also DO NOT use Lipos in my transmitters. I have been using Nicads for 50 years and have never had a fire. I see no need to use Lipos since I don't fly electrics. Come to think of it, I do fly electrics. I just leave the battery and motor on the ground. It's called a sailplane.
ChuckA is offline Find More Posts by ChuckA
Old Apr 28, 2012, 10:57 AM
Ipoh, Perak Malaysia
Joined Jul 2006
4,011 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDrew View Post
The 100 pin dsPIC I am using has no additional I/O available. I am using all but 7 pins, and those were not needed so they are blocked in the PCB layout. All control inputs are analog, so it is possible that you could use a switch assembly with multiple switches and resistors to obtain different input values based on which switches are toggled.
Jim,

Thanks for the answer. But will your firmware be able to handle it now or in the future? Will you define the resistance values for having 2 switches to each input pin, or will it be user definable? Truly an incredible tx value, and one I am sure to buy, but not the 1st batch. Mailing it back-and-forth is a real killer, should there be any problem that cannot be fixed by a firmware upgrade.

chewy
chewytm is offline Find More Posts by chewytm
Old Apr 28, 2012, 11:24 AM
United States, TN, Maryville
Joined Jun 2011
107 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flarssen View Post
You are comparing a Lipo with less than half the capacity against a safe LiFe pack with built in protection, that can be charged using your old Nixx charger.
EXACTLY. And at 1/5th the price.
Tony37803 is offline Find More Posts by Tony37803
Old Apr 28, 2012, 11:35 AM
The Villages, Florida
Joined May 2003
509 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgunpilot View Post
It's good to have Juan's permission though...
Yes, children.... you all have my permission to do as you wish !
JuanRodriguez is offline Find More Posts by JuanRodriguez
Old Apr 28, 2012, 12:39 PM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
20,246 Posts
2500mah 2S lipo, shipping from the USA, $11.99... http://www.valuehobby.com/gforce-250...s-tx-pack.html

2800mah 3S, $45 (still fitting in the form factor)... http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...k-111V-2800mAh

...I've been pulling packs out of my Tx to charge ever since I switched them to Lipos years ago. Pull them out, charge for a half hour, then forget about it for another month. Unless I end up liking the feel of a smaller lipo, pretty sure I'll be stuffing in as many lipoly electrons as will fit
theKM is offline Find More Posts by theKM
Old Apr 28, 2012, 01:44 PM
Inciting Riots
Joined Dec 2006
9,688 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chewytm View Post
Jim,

Thanks for the answer. But will your firmware be able to handle it now or in the future? Will you define the resistance values for having 2 switches to each input pin, or will it be user definable? Truly an incredible tx value, and one I am sure to buy, but not the 1st batch. Mailing it back-and-forth is a real killer, should there be any problem that cannot be fixed by a firmware upgrade.

chewy
I was going to ask for clarity on this as well... Are all switches connected to an ADC? if so I assume that a 3 position switch is using a simple voltage divider (pair of resistors) to set the middle position and each end point is direct to either ground or reference voltage. This is how Gordon did the analog to digital trim conversion in the Microstar which seems to work really well. If each switch has an ADC and you made the firmware such that it has a digital (count when switch hits ground or reference), or analog (continuous output at selected level) then all switches could be made to be pots with a simple selection in the firmware.

Obviously some people are thinking of mods before the product is even released, and as long as the RF board is not touched and the stock antenna is used, it should be FCC acceptable.
village_idiot is offline Find More Posts by village_idiot
Old Apr 28, 2012, 03:03 PM
Ipoh, Perak Malaysia
Joined Jul 2006
4,011 Posts
I am not so much as thinking of mods per se, as I am not an EE. It's just that there are 32 channels, and only 16 inputs. Take out the usual dual rates, expo and mode switches, and you are left with 13 inputs for a 32 ch radio. Seems kinda skimpy, ain't it?

chewy
chewytm is offline Find More Posts by chewytm
Old Apr 28, 2012, 04:02 PM
Inciting Riots
Joined Dec 2006
9,688 Posts
How many fingers and thumbs do you have? Most of the extra channels are designed to be used as part of a mix or as additional channels for multi-servo control surfaces.
village_idiot is offline Find More Posts by village_idiot
Old Apr 28, 2012, 04:10 PM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,938 Posts
Yes, all inputs are connected to the ADC. Switches use a resistor divider so we get values of 0xFFF, 0x7FF, or 0x000 depending on which of the three positions the switch is in. You could have 10 different switches with different divider values, giving you 30 different inputs instead of just 3. You need consider each switch position as an input.

We have 8 three position switches, 8 pots (2x2 gimbal pots, 2 rotary knobs and 2 sliders). So, technically there 24 input switch positions and 8 direct pot inputs.

Anyone familiar with Graupner's nautical encoder knows that you can easily have numerous extra channels from combining switch functions from a single channel. We can do the same without any additional electronics - just more switches and resistors. Since the switches are plugged into the main board, it is easy enough to buy or make your own different switch combinations.
JimDrew is offline Find More Posts by JimDrew
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 28, 2012, 04:22 PM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
20,246 Posts
I'd also assume that there's logic switches to group switches?...

say you have three flight modes working off two switches, you could have normal mode as both switches up, second flight mode as flipping first switch down, second flight mode as flipping the other switch, and third flight mode as both switches.

...also a lot of pattern/IMAC dudes have "full aileron + rudder + elevator" to trigger a snap condition logical switch, and possibly multiples of these for different settings at different throttle locations.

With all the event triggers and other fancy things, I'd assume logic switches are almost a given
theKM is offline Find More Posts by theKM
Old Apr 28, 2012, 05:36 PM
Son, Norway
Joined Sep 2004
3,416 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by theKM View Post
2800mah 3S, $45 (still fitting in the form factor)... http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...k-111V-2800mAhl:
Unless the Tx has a switch mode regulator, anything above 2S LiPo/6 cell Nixx is a waste of space, weight, money etc.

Fred
flarssen is online now Find More Posts by flarssen
Old Apr 28, 2012, 06:46 PM
United States, DE, Bear
Joined Apr 2007
2,168 Posts
How do we go about programming the transmitter to make channels trigger based on other channels and time? Gear doors are an example.
maguro is offline Find More Posts by maguro
Closed Thread