Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Closed Thread
Old Sep 04, 2012, 07:46 AM
Joined Jan 2005
50 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDrew View Post
The problem is that we don't lock any channel to any flight control surface. Every channel is treated the same... so, every channel has rates, expo, multi-point curves, etc. There is no "1=aileron, 2=elevator, 3=throttle" type of hard coded configuration. The Tx emulation just fills in the variables as you are use to seeing them for the transmitter of your choice, but you can make any output set to any input.
A problem? I think this is what will make this transmitter a truly desirable product, otherwise it's just another Spectrum.

Richard
RICHARD3851 is offline Find More Posts by RICHARD3851
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 04, 2012, 11:34 AM
Joined Dec 2007
239 Posts
Will the XPS -3216 be in field flash-able?
I assume it will be, so then will flashing the TX maintain all programmed models, and just enable the new features in the new flash for every model? Or will it encapsulate the programmed models, and if you want the new features, you will have to recreate your model, or upgrade, and recheck before flying?
Uff-Da RC is offline Find More Posts by Uff-Da RC
Old Sep 04, 2012, 01:19 PM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
20,183 Posts
Quote:
The problem is that we don't lock any channel to any flight control surface. Every channel is treated the same... so, every channel has rates, expo, multi-point curves, etc. There is no "1=aileron, 2=elevator, 3=throttle" type of hard coded configuration. The Tx emulation just fills in the variables as you are use to seeing them for the transmitter of your choice, but you can make any output set to any input.
ya, fair enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RICHARD3851 View Post
A problem? I think this is what will make this transmitter a truly desirable product, otherwise it's just another Spectrum.

Richard
locking down channels to flight surfaces would make it the "just another spektrum"... any input to any output is rather epic. but due to this flexibility, it can't block or warn against sequence programming a flight surface, which means you can program maneuver sequences just to annoy the fun police and those ARF monkeys...
theKM is offline Find More Posts by theKM
Old Sep 04, 2012, 11:41 PM
OOPS
USA, GA, Cochran
Joined Jun 2008
20,157 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uff-Da RC View Post
I assume it will be, so then will flashing the TX maintain all programmed models, and just enable the new features in the new flash for every model? Or will it encapsulate the programmed models, and if you want the new features, you will have to recreate your model, or upgrade, and recheck before flying?
I "think" it was said a while back the xdp will be able to wirelessly program the tx from your laptop.So yes,field programmable.That is a nifty lil device that xdp
Manta1 is offline Find More Posts by Manta1
Old Sep 04, 2012, 11:49 PM
PGR
Low AltiDude
United States, CA, Costa Mesa
Joined Jun 2004
7,861 Posts
Quote:
Yes, it is possible to assign 'functions' to any switch. The function list is currently hard coded to 'snap roll', but I can add things as requested. The problem typically with things like this is that speed of the aircraft plays an important part of a successful maneuver. I am also a bit concerned (from a liability stand point) about having a slow roll, 4 point roll, 8 point roll, etc.
Provide the "framework" and some instructions and let customers program their own functions. Wouldn't that release XPS from the liability issues, even if customers shared their functions among themselves?

Pete
PGR is online now Find More Posts by PGR
Old Sep 05, 2012, 06:40 AM
Joined Jan 2005
50 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGR View Post
Provide the "framework" and some instructions and let customers program their own functions. Wouldn't that release XPS from the liability issues, even if customers shared their functions among themselves?

Pete
I agree with Pete leave it as user programmable as possible
Iíd find a program to gradually richen the needle over the course of an 1 Ĺ hr flight to compensate changing fuel levels useful (just another example of what might be possible).
RICHARD3851 is offline Find More Posts by RICHARD3851
Old Sep 05, 2012, 01:56 PM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,764 Posts
Quote:
I am currently building a club trainer of about 630 sq in powered with a 15 diesel with a 12 oz tank which will give 1 Ĺ hr flight time, it would be useful to be able to program the elevator to gradually increase the amount of down trim over the duration of the flight as the fuel burns off.
I still donít understand why anyone would care if I have a snap roll, or a Lomcevak switch on my transmitter, if it would be fun for me? If the fun police, and ARF monkeys donít want to have them programmed into their transmitters then donít.
Richard
I think you could do this with the timer configuration. You can set events to occur, but the trims are not part of the event queue. I will see how difficult that would be to change/add. I have not looked at that part of the code in a long time, but I need to because the trims are hard coded at 4, even though the config space is setup to handle trim for each channel (all 32).
JimDrew is offline Find More Posts by JimDrew
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 05, 2012, 01:57 PM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,764 Posts
Quote:

Richard
Well, I didn't quote what this was in reference to:

Quote:
Maybe put a fail safe in the firmware that will not allow the use of these sequences on channels that are controlling flight surfaces, or are assigned to the control sticks.
This is not possible because we do treat every single channel as a separate entity. So, doing what was recommended would be a problem.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 05, 2012, 01:59 PM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,764 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uff-Da RC View Post
Absolutely! In fact, the neat thing about it is that the transmitter has built-in XDP functions. So, you could update your buddy's transmitter as well as his receivers, and change settings, failsafes, etc.

You would have to download the firmware from our website and reflashing occurs via USB<>serial cable (plugs into the DSC port) or via an XDP.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 05, 2012, 02:00 PM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,764 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGR View Post

Pete
No a bad idea, Pete. I will consider that for the future.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 06, 2012, 10:49 AM
Joined Dec 2007
239 Posts
Quote:
Absolutely! In fact, the neat thing about it is that the transmitter has built-in XDP functions. So, you could update your buddy's transmitter as well as his receivers, and change settings, failsafes, etc.

You would have to download the firmware from our website and reflashing occurs via USB<>serial cable (plugs into the DSC port) or via an XDP.
Thank you Jim, This sounds like a great way to keep my TX and RX and fail safe settings all up to date at the field. Just have the TX updated before I go.
The only other feature I would like more info about is the availability feature of this TX. That might be the only feature you are not commenting on
Uff-Da RC is offline Find More Posts by Uff-Da RC
Old Sep 11, 2012, 12:48 AM
Passion
Joined Sep 2009
322 Posts
I remember something like the telemetry reporting the signal strength of the receiver, or am I wrong?
If so, if there are more receivers in service in a plane in master-slave configuration, will it give the signal strength of all the receivers?
Swen is offline Find More Posts by Swen
Old Sep 11, 2012, 11:30 PM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,764 Posts
The signal strength is actually the transmitter (as the receiver sees it). The MASTER receiver is the only receiver that can handle telemetry information.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 15, 2012, 08:22 AM
Brisbane Australia
Joined Mar 2003
568 Posts
Jim,
Will this unit work as it should with your new transmitter?
Or will I have to buy a Futaba transmitter to get the benefit of head tracking.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._Goggles_.html
Graeme Marion is offline Find More Posts by Graeme Marion
Old Sep 15, 2012, 01:13 PM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,764 Posts
If you use it as 5.8GHz, it should work just fine. I think the FCC is finally cracking down on these illegal devices. I got a generic notice warning about importing non-compliant devices, and since we don't import anything, I am sure this was aimed at others that do.
RCG Plus Member
Closed Thread