Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Closed Thread
Old Aug 23, 2012, 04:18 PM
What?!? I didn't do that!
Orchard Park, NY
Joined Dec 2002
267 Posts
It sounds like (and I'm hoping) it works similar to the JR 11X where you have your low point at 0% stick and your high point at 100% stick. Then you have the option to add from 1 to 6 additional points at any percentage stick in between. You can have 3, 5 or 7 points if you want a V-shaped curve, you don't need to use all 8. If you don't use them, your throttle curve wouldn't even know there were an even number of points available.

Just my speculation based on Jim's description but as long as each point is assignable to any stick position it shouldn't matter if the max amount is odd or even. Here's hoping.....
gremlin is offline Find More Posts by gremlin
Last edited by gremlin; Aug 23, 2012 at 04:27 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 23, 2012, 04:46 PM
The Villages, Florida
Joined May 2003
424 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gremlin View Post
Just my speculation based on Jim's description but as long as each point is assignable to any stick position it shouldn't matter if the max amount is odd or even. Here's hoping.....
If Jim has done his homework (and I'm sure he has) , that's exactly how it will be....here's hoping too !
JuanRodriguez is offline Find More Posts by JuanRodriguez
Old Aug 24, 2012, 09:44 AM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,721 Posts
Yes, you have 0% to X% (the EPA limit of up to 150%) with 8 different individually programmable points. Unlike Graupner and others where you are stuck with a certain minimum amount between each point, you could define the points 1% apart. You can program the percentage via the stick position OR entering the value manually. This lets you define things precisely, which you really can't do easily with just stick movement.
JimDrew is offline Find More Posts by JimDrew
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 24, 2012, 12:40 PM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
20,166 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDrew View Post
Yes, you have 0% to X% (the EPA limit of up to 150%) with 8 different individually programmable points. Unlike Graupner and others where you are stuck with a certain minimum amount between each point, you could define the points 1% apart. You can program the percentage via the stick position OR entering the value manually. This lets you define things precisely, which you really can't do easily with just stick movement.
wonderbar!
theKM is offline Find More Posts by theKM
Old Aug 28, 2012, 04:12 PM
Trex 700, Gaui X5, 450DFC
United States, AZ, Queen Creek
Joined Apr 2010
326 Posts
Jim, Will the new system be able to handle this configuration?

8 channel receiver (or greater)
->1 channel for ESC/THrottle
->1 spare channel only for powering my altitude recorder (Ram3)
6 servo glider
->2 servos for flaps
->2 servos for ailerons
->2 servos for tail, T or V both supported.

Throttle on left stick. Switch throttle off for landing and the stick now controls the flaps and also Crow. I can control flaps and crow tuning with either a slider or a dial each.

Some additional features I would prefer:
The ability to label my configurations so that they display when looking at the screen, such as Landing, Launch, Thermal, Speed/Reflex and so forth.

I hope it's fair to ask about features in this thread... ;-)

I sure hope for a release soon. My Aurora 9 is wearing on me the hoops I have to jump through to make it do what I want. Of course there's also no guarantee that this radio will accomplish the things I want.
SoarWest is offline Find More Posts by SoarWest
Old Aug 29, 2012, 10:48 PM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,721 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoarWest View Post
Jim, Will the new system be able to handle this configuration?

8 channel receiver (or greater)
->1 channel for ESC/THrottle
->1 spare channel only for powering my altitude recorder (Ram3)
6 servo glider
->2 servos for flaps
->2 servos for ailerons
->2 servos for tail, T or V both supported.

Throttle on left stick. Switch throttle off for landing and the stick now controls the flaps and also Crow. I can control flaps and crow tuning with either a slider or a dial each.

Some additional features I would prefer:
The ability to label my configurations so that they display when looking at the screen, such as Landing, Launch, Thermal, Speed/Reflex and so forth.

I hope it's fair to ask about features in this thread... ;-)

I sure hope for a release soon. My Aurora 9 is wearing on me the hoops I have to jump through to make it do what I want. Of course there's also no guarantee that this radio will accomplish the things I want.
Yes, this all easily programmable with the new radio. You can make any input as any output through the flight mode setup. You can name the flight modes anything you like up to 20 characters.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 29, 2012, 10:58 PM
Garland
USA, NM, Albuquerque
Joined Jul 2003
493 Posts
december? for many I would guess the window for giving a crap about XPS business/products is down to mere weeks..or days. Forget the the new Tx that is no longer the issue. At 5% of XPS efforts I hope this Tx is worth the wait.

Maybe that bare minimal policy would be better aimed at the new Rx models and not XPS vaporware.
Ghia is offline Find More Posts by Ghia
Old Aug 30, 2012, 03:47 PM
Joined Apr 2010
326 Posts
Jim,

The biggest part of the feature question above is can you switch the throttle stick assignment in mid flight so that in one mode the throttle stick controls the power, and in another it controls Crow/Flaps?

I'm not sure from a mode assignment up front that this would be supported. It depends on how you implment modes. If you can select what options change in a mode, or how that is done.

Thanks again, Dale
Old Aug 30, 2012, 09:01 PM
Joined Jul 2009
161 Posts
Quote:
Jim,

The biggest part of the feature question above is can you switch the throttle stick assignment in mid flight so that in one mode the throttle stick controls the power, and in another it controls Crow/Flaps?

I'm not sure from a mode assignment up front that this would be supported. It depends on how you implment modes. If you can select what options change in a mode, or how that is done.

Thanks again, Dale
That would be very useful, as with many of my electrified scale sailplanes, I'd sure like to switch from throttle to flap,crow or spoiler on the throttle stick for landings. It'd beat presently having to use a switch or side slider for one. Here's hoping. Thanks.
flyingfever is offline Find More Posts by flyingfever
Old Aug 30, 2012, 09:05 PM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
20,166 Posts
the radio has 32 mixes to play with and a throttle curve... so even if you set it up as curve mixes, should be able to get it done.
theKM is offline Find More Posts by theKM
Old Aug 30, 2012, 11:39 PM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,721 Posts
Quote:
Jim,

Thanks again, Dale
Pretend you have 8 completely independent models, and you can switch between any of them with the flip of a few switches.

If you want throttle on the left stick in mode 1, with a flip of a switch you could change the flight mode to 2 and now the throttle is on the right slider, reversed in direction, the EPA set at 20% one direction and 82% the other direction, and a center offset at 1700us.

It really is just 8 models available all at the same time.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 30, 2012, 11:50 PM
Joined Apr 2010
326 Posts
Jim, sounds great!
Thanks, in trying to set this up on other radios it's really a pain and they act as if I'm nuts for trying to use the same stick for two things. It makes sense to me as there is a clean transition, power is off at the bottom, on at the top and nicely variable; exactly how I control Crow, and I never use Crow with power so it works. I also program it so that you CANT enable power in the landing mode so I don't have to worry about ripping flaps off. IF I transition to another mode Flaps are disabled and retract.

Thanks for your time and work. Dale
Old Aug 30, 2012, 11:59 PM
Joined Jul 2009
161 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDrew View Post
Pretend you have 8 completely independent models, and you can switch between any of them with the flip of a few switches.

If you want throttle on the left stick in mode 1, with a flip of a switch you could change the flight mode to 2 and now the throttle is on the right slider, reversed in direction, the EPA set at 20% one direction and 82% the other direction, and a center offset at 1700us.

It really is just 8 models available all at the same time.
Perfect. It'll all be worth the wait. THANKS
flyingfever is offline Find More Posts by flyingfever
Old Aug 31, 2012, 06:03 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined May 2006
6,407 Posts
Quote:
Jim, sounds great!
Thanks, in trying to set this up on other radios it's really a pain and they act as if I'm nuts for trying to use the same stick for two things. It makes sense to me as there is a clean transition, power is off at the bottom, on at the top and nicely variable; exactly how I control Crow, and I never use Crow with power so it works. I also program it so that you CANT enable power in the landing mode so I don't have to worry about ripping flaps off. IF I transition to another mode Flaps are disabled and retract.

Thanks for your time and work. Dale
Sounds like you could easily use one of the 3-position switches to select the modes which you might call Power, Crow and Land. Based on that switch you can program the left stick to have the appropriate output behaviour and to set the Throttle channel output to zero when not in Power mode. Same thing with the flap behaviour either controlled or fixed based on the mode. Should be quite easy with the concepts Jim has shared about the programming.
kgfly is offline Find More Posts by kgfly
Old Aug 31, 2012, 09:49 AM
House of Paine
United States, AZ, Gilbert
Joined May 2007
2,169 Posts
Programming does sound outstanding. I'm mostly a 3D guy and have always tied rates for all surfaces to a single switch (low, med, high rates). There are times I've wanted to separate each surface to it's own switch but I fear I may struggle changing over to having to manage a different switch for each. With XPS I think I could have one switch set all low rate in pos 1, all high rate in pos 2, and pos 3 set a mode where three different switches (no shortage of 3 pos switches) independantly control rates for elev, ail, rudd.... that would be way cool for me
weaser42 is offline Find More Posts by weaser42
Closed Thread