HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Aug 20, 2012, 07:12 PM
Joined Jun 2004
184 Posts
Odd number would be best! That way those that don't use a govenor can still get that nice "V" curve for the throttle. Also, It will also help to set the zero pitch point for 3D......since you said it was already hard coded to 8 points......that would mean that points 4 and 5 would have to be set for zero pitch.

I don't use a governor.........I have a butt load of points with my 14MZ and if you ever fly my helis, you'd never guess I didn't have a gov.!

Jeremy
DaBear is offline Find More Posts by DaBear
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 20, 2012, 07:45 PM
Chillaxin dude!
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Joined Apr 2003
4,812 Posts
+1 for throttle curve in plane mode too.. Larger electric 3D models can benefit from this..
BulletMaster is online now Find More Posts by BulletMaster
Old Aug 20, 2012, 07:58 PM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined May 2006
6,407 Posts
Most heli pilots would be happy enough with 5 points. In my view you should have an odd number for the throttle curve and must have an odd number for the pitch curve. A tiny proportion of the advanced pilots that fly in the high-precision competitions might need more than 9 points but they are a rare breed and I wouldn't derail progress to address them. If you can make it 9 points (or 7 points) you will have the overwhelming majority of heli pilots covered.
kgfly is offline Find More Posts by kgfly
Old Aug 20, 2012, 08:17 PM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
20,246 Posts
throttle curve should be universal for sure... A9 has 7 point curve, it's pretty nice. pretty important for a refined setup with a gasser aerobatic plane...
theKM is offline Find More Posts by theKM
Old Aug 20, 2012, 09:40 PM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
Toronto (Don Mills), Canada
Joined Dec 2002
17,098 Posts
+1 for the number to be odd, not even.

Same should be true for any curves, like in mixes for example.

(8 is probably a lot easier if you are doing everything in assembly .)

Pat MacKenzie
pmackenzie is offline Find More Posts by pmackenzie
Old Aug 20, 2012, 11:22 PM
United States, AZ, Queen Creek
Joined Aug 2004
797 Posts
Pitch curve- whats that?
dirtybird is offline Find More Posts by dirtybird
Old Aug 20, 2012, 11:40 PM
Chillaxin dude!
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Joined Apr 2003
4,812 Posts
lol.. what you need for variable pitch props, so you can fly backwards
BulletMaster is online now Find More Posts by BulletMaster
Old Aug 21, 2012, 01:17 AM
Joined May 2002
246 Posts
Another vote for the odd pitch and throttle setting. I think it would cause interaction problems with the pitch and frustrating problems with the throttle for those of us who do not use a governor. 7 points would be great. just like my jr xp9303.
Grich is offline Find More Posts by Grich
Old Aug 21, 2012, 02:50 PM
Joined Jun 2005
34 Posts
If you had 7 points with the ability to go to INH for unused points, that would be great. For example an idle up 1 a possible throttle curve would be: 100-INH-INH-60-INH-INH-100. It saves a lot of dial spinning for those points you don't use, and assumes a straight line between used points.
jgunpilot is offline Find More Posts by jgunpilot
Old Aug 21, 2012, 04:37 PM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
20,246 Posts
...an alternative would be how JR has it in the 11X... three points... then you move the channel and add a point where you need it and only where you need it, up to a total of 7. it's that way for all curves (curve mixes, etc). pretty sexy, turning a simple mix into a complex one as you need it.
theKM is offline Find More Posts by theKM
Old Aug 21, 2012, 05:17 PM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined May 2006
6,407 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgunpilot View Post
If you had 7 points with the ability to go to INH for unused points, that would be great. For example an idle up 1 a possible throttle curve would be: 100-INH-INH-60-INH-INH-100. It saves a lot of dial spinning for those points you don't use, and assumes a straight line between used points.
+1 That is the normal behaviour in all systems I have seen. Fancy ones also provide additional options such as smoothing the curve between the points and/or applying expo to either increase or decrease sensitivity around mid-stick.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 04:26 PM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,938 Posts
Yes, you could use 7 (or even 2) out of the 8 available. I didn't want to have to re-think the issue if we needed more than 8 points. Every single channel has the ability to have 8 preset points if you want. I was just looking at a maximum number needed.
JimDrew is offline Find More Posts by JimDrew
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 22, 2012, 05:42 PM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined May 2006
6,407 Posts
Just to be clear, it has to do with the distribution of those points along the travel of the channel. Typically the points are fixed along the x-axis with linear spacing. That means that when there are an even number of points, there is no point at the mid-point of the x-axis. Even if you only enable an uneven number of the points, that doesn't redistribute the points along the x-axis and hence you still do not get a point at the mid-point.

How do your set of points behave Jim?
Old Aug 23, 2012, 12:34 PM
Joined May 2002
246 Posts
and that is exactly why we need an odd number of points otherwise when doing 3d, a roll for example would keep the throttle low at zero pitch would extend into the positive and negative pitch and delaying the throttle response. This would make a heli not running expensive 30% nitro and not having the most expensive latest and greatest engine and pipe to be sluggish. I do not want a radio to be the cause of me having to give up my nitro heli's.
Grich is offline Find More Posts by Grich
Old Aug 23, 2012, 04:26 PM
Joined Jun 2005
34 Posts
Another way to put this is: A V-shaped throttle curve must have an odd numbered point as its apex (either 5 or 7). I'm afraid that having 8 points and disabling one will make the curve cause some assymetrical inputs. If this happens, heli guys simply won't buy it.
jgunpilot is offline Find More Posts by jgunpilot
Closed Thread