SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Closed Thread
Old Aug 16, 2012, 05:59 PM
Joined May 2002
239 Posts
How about this, Jim have you flown anything in testing with the new system?
If not then have u done range testing with the new system?
if not then have u done lab testing of the new system?
What kind of testing?
Grich is offline Find More Posts by Grich
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 16, 2012, 05:59 PM
Stop scaring my donkey!
Greenland
Joined Mar 2012
8,152 Posts
How many angels can dance on the head of a pin?

Come on, guys....it'll be ready when it is ready, if ever.
JohnathanSwift is offline Find More Posts by JohnathanSwift
Old Aug 16, 2012, 09:12 PM
Fly inverted, it's more fun.
Joined Apr 2006
219 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tholmes345 View Post
Cobra68. If that doesn't work out, I have a module and some 8 channel Rx's. If you are interested. I do not want to undermine any deal you might work with the other offer. Not getting out. I just have extras.
Does anyone want this stuff? Nothing wrong with it. I just don't have the planes to put them in. As always 1/2 retail. I agree that 1/2 retail is usually customary.
tholmes345 is offline Find More Posts by tholmes345
Old Aug 16, 2012, 10:11 PM
--
United States, WA, Ravensdale
Joined Jan 2011
155 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tholmes345 View Post
Does anyone want this stuff? Nothing wrong with it. I just don't have the planes to put them in. As always 1/2 retail. I agree that 1/2 retail is usually customary.
PM on it's way....
Cobra68 is offline Find More Posts by Cobra68
Old Aug 16, 2012, 10:58 PM
JUNK RADIO
USA, NY, Queens
Joined Dec 2006
3,129 Posts
anybody thinking about going back to Futaba and Spectrum with hobbyking receivers?
Flazo is online now Find More Posts by Flazo
Old Aug 16, 2012, 11:09 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,203 Posts
No, but if anyone has Nano's for sale, I'll take a few.

Pat
crxmanpat is offline Find More Posts by crxmanpat
Old Aug 17, 2012, 02:18 AM
Passion
Joined Sep 2009
322 Posts
Quote:
Wow, I wondered about those unicorns.... the transmitter could be a myth if nobody had held one in their hands, seen the display, heard the speech, etc. The fact is that they have, and at major trade shows, not a club meeting.
Over the years at major international car shows manufacturers showed a lot of concept cars where people could even sit in it, see and feel all the electronic equipment in it, start it and hear the engine roar. Where are all those cars? Most never saw production. That mean nothing without commitment. Commitment involves a business plan including set dates, a marketing plan, financials etc.

The problem is XPS is a one-man-show who drifts like the wind blows without plan and the show will end when the only participator gives no input anymore, for whatever reason. On the other hand, the likes of Futaba is a company with an everlasting value and a long term plan. It has shareholders who wants to see where their investment is going to and want to see results. If one person moves out, the next moves in and there is energy. XPS offer nothing like that but is a short term spurt of energy that burns out quickly. Even if this Tx is coming to existence, if Jim moves on (to home automation only? other pastures? who knows?), there is nothing, no product, no development, no backup, nothing. Then everybody will sit with obsolete equipment. It is already proved to be true, just look at the state the XPS RC business is in now. It will just be an extended occurrence of what is happening now. Without commitment to RC it is planning to fail.
Swen is offline Find More Posts by Swen
Old Aug 17, 2012, 05:00 AM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
Toronto (Don Mills), Canada
Joined Dec 2002
16,667 Posts
If XPS is getting into home automation, is it under a different name?
I don't see XPS on the CEDIA exhibitor list.
pmackenzie is offline Find More Posts by pmackenzie
Old Aug 17, 2012, 07:42 AM
PGR
Low AltiDude
United States, CA, Costa Mesa
Joined Jun 2004
7,909 Posts
I don't think XPS will market home automation products. What I read is they'll be selling DivBee modules to OEMs who will be using them in products they'll market under their own brand names.

And that could easily amount to a whole lot more DivBee module sales than all XPS RC products combined could ever amount to. It's easy to assume that there are a lot of model aviators in the world (especially after participating in RCGroups for awhile), but the simple truth is we're a small, nearly insignificant "special interest" group when compared to the industrial and home automation markets.

And with that in mind it's foolish to automatically assume that Jim's "5% of our total business plan" estimate for XPS RC hobby products represents a scaling back of that market. It's a lot more likely that it simply means a scaling up of other markets.

Yeah, I'm as frustrated with the current XPS product availability issues as anyone, but I can't fault Jim for giving initial priority to markets with the biggest potential. From a business standpoint, that's the only logical strategy.

Pete
PGR is offline Find More Posts by PGR
Old Aug 17, 2012, 10:29 AM
Passion
Joined Sep 2009
322 Posts
And we as the end users must decide if we are willing to live on the crumbs from the table.
Old Aug 17, 2012, 10:44 AM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,827 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGR View Post
And with that in mind it's foolish to automatically assume that Jim's "5% of our total business plan" estimate for XPS RC hobby products represents a scaling back of that market. It's a lot more likely that it simply means a scaling up of other markets.
That is absolutely correct. Remember, it was no secret that our intention was to create a module for this purpose. After all, the XBEE module we had been using was designed for this purpose, not to fly R/C aircraft. Even at the 100K piece pricing we were getting from Maxstream (then Digi when it was sold) our cost for modules was 3 times what production cost is for our DivBee. The DivBee offers diversity, and up to 10dB better sensitivity. Every 6dB doubles the range, so the DivBee has more than 3 times the range of our original system.

Yes, testing has been ongoing with the transmitter, as well as other projects, including some dual purpose receivers for R/C and home automation integration. We are not going to make home automation devices, we merely supply modules to companies that do.
JimDrew is offline Find More Posts by JimDrew
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 17, 2012, 10:48 AM
United States, CA, Castro Valley
Joined Dec 2005
189 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swen View Post
And we as the end users must decide if we are willing to live on the crumbs from the table.
If you and the others are such doubting thomases, why hang around? You say you don't believe the Tx will ever be released, yet you continue to monitor the thread. That says to me that you either secretly still hope for it, or you just get pleasure on raining on the parade.
j_whitney is offline Find More Posts by j_whitney
Old Aug 17, 2012, 10:50 AM
Stop scaring my donkey!
Greenland
Joined Mar 2012
8,152 Posts
Geez, if only there were a parade....

In my case, it is hope, but it is sinking fast.
JohnathanSwift is offline Find More Posts by JohnathanSwift
Old Aug 17, 2012, 12:12 PM
Passion
Joined Sep 2009
322 Posts
Quote:
j_whitney --
If you and the others are such doubting thomases, why hang around? You say you don't believe the Tx will ever be released, yet you continue to monitor the thread. That says to me that you either secretly still hope for it, or you just get pleasure on raining on the parade.
If you actually read what people write, you would read that I said a page or two back: "Be glad that a few of us are still lingering around here and are still interested should the products become available, that is why we get frustrated, the others moved on in silence already." So, I am NOT "secretly still hope for it", I very much hope for it, but current situation makes it very difficult.

You turn the words around and make as if I have no interest and say "You say you don't believe the Tx will ever be released" I never said that. What I said was things like: "Even if this Tx is coming to existence" "a mystery", meaning I still hope for it, but doubts are there and the exciting bussies module makes it hard to be a trusting follower. I also said “Waiting for something that is not going to happen is a fools game.” That is times when I have strong feelings about dropping XPS support but still hope for a hasty positive outcome. All my planes and those of the people at the club who I convinced to use XPS are flown with XPS. Myself and the others sold our other non-XPS RC equipment and are dependent on XPS, unless we change to another system. They are pissed-off because they need to buy additional receivers NOW (the Nano was one convincing argument), but there is none in stock. The Spektrum guys are mocking us. Apart from the hope that you and I both have and the word of Jim (for the past 2 ˝ years), there is nothing convincing about holding on. We need action now.

I will continue monitoring this thread up to November when some contracts pay out. If by then the Tx and receivers are not available I will move over to another system and sell the XPS stuff to help finance the other. I don't know if the members at my club will buy it, for if XPS does not perform, they will change as well, more so if myself that keep them using it drops out.
Last edited by Swen; Aug 17, 2012 at 12:19 PM.
Old Aug 17, 2012, 12:23 PM
United States, CA, Castro Valley
Joined Dec 2005
189 Posts
I guess I misunderstood your meaning in the phrase "crumbs from the table" and for that I aplogize - but the others that are so negative - please buzz off.

I am frustrated too - I bought in to XPS (Tx module and a couple nannos) just before the announcement of the new Tx. Aside from the very attractive pricing for such a robust radio, I like the nanno-size and cost Rx. When Futaba is charging about $100 for a similar number of channels, what's not to like?

But I am now in a position where I want more nanno's and there are none - but at least they are on the horizon. I believe Jim when he says the Tx will be released, just a question of when. I don't NEED the new Tx - but I WANT it. I have 2 serviceable Futaba Tx so I am actually good into the future.
j_whitney is offline Find More Posts by j_whitney
Closed Thread