Closed Thread
Old Apr 27, 2012, 04:37 PM
ltc
AMA 97737
United States, MA, Mendon
Joined Mar 2010
2,421 Posts
Thank you.
If I understand correctly, assuming a 3 year design/release cycle, it should be another 2-2 1/2 yrs for your system to be commercially available.

Coud you possibly share how much of this time is designated for FCC/CE/ TUV and also for reliability/regression testing?

Very interesting project.
ltc is online now Find More Posts by ltc
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 27, 2012, 05:24 PM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
20,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltc View Post
Thank you.
If I understand correctly, assuming a 3 year design/release cycle, it should be another 2-2 1/2 yrs for your system to be commercially available.

Coud you possibly share how much of this time is designated for FCC/CE/ TUV and also for reliability/regression testing?

weird post... applying the timeline of a completely separate company/product to this one.

the system has already passed the FCC as the core component is a module component (XPS calls the DivBee), was certified as such in January. The hardware is all nutted out.
theKM is offline Find More Posts by theKM
Old Apr 27, 2012, 05:42 PM
Launceston Arpt, Tasmania, Australia
Joined Jan 2004
564 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crxmanpat View Post
Cool, I can get one of those easy enough from Jack.

Bob,

Would a 2S A123 fit in the battery box? I would think it would be too wide. But if a 2S 1100 fits, I have two of them on hand I could use, and would not need to buy a new lipo.

Pat
this should fit;
http://www.aircraft-world.com/shopexd.asp?id=3152
E_ferret is offline Find More Posts by E_ferret
Old Apr 27, 2012, 06:12 PM
United States, TN, Maryville
Joined Jun 2011
107 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by E_ferret View Post
With shipping that's what, $45 or so? LOL.

Try this instead: http://www.hobbypartz.com/77p-sl800-2s1p-20c-2222.html Should be good for 8-9 hours, at 1/10th the base price, 1/5th the price ($8.40) with shipping (US address). Already has the right plug too. Go ahead and splurge: Get two.
Tony37803 is offline Find More Posts by Tony37803
Old Apr 27, 2012, 06:15 PM
The "Foaminator"
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Mar 2007
2,169 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony37803 View Post

Try this instead: http://www.hobbypartz.com/77p-sl800-2s1p-20c-2222.html Should be good for 8-9 hours, at 1/10th the base price, 1/5th the price ($8.40) with shipping (US address). Already has the right plug too. Go ahead and splurge: Get two.
and he forgot to mention you can charge the Sky lipo in 45 minutes.

So like he said, by two and a hamburger.
mikeruth is offline Find More Posts by mikeruth
Old Apr 27, 2012, 06:18 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,212 Posts
Well, then I could just get a Hyperion G3 3S 850 pack. In fact, I already have a bunch of them, and they charge in 15 minutes.

Pat
crxmanpat is offline Find More Posts by crxmanpat
Old Apr 27, 2012, 06:20 PM
The "Foaminator"
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Mar 2007
2,169 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crxmanpat View Post
Well, then I could just get a Hyperion G3 3S 850 pack. In fact, I already have a bunch of them, and they charge in 15 minutes.

Pat
Thats what I use in a DX7, works great and I literally never worry about the battery at the field. It's good for the whole day easily.
mikeruth is offline Find More Posts by mikeruth
Old Apr 27, 2012, 06:30 PM
Tennessee
Joined Sep 2003
2,329 Posts
I will NEVER NEVER NEVER use a battery that must be removed from the transmitter to be charged. One thing I have learned in 55 years of flying RC is that every time the transmitter case is opened is just another chance to break something. For the last 15 years, I have ALWAYS charged the transmitter and the first model on the way to the field. If I am flying a second model, I put it on charge as soon as the first model is charged. I have not lost a model to a battery failure in over 15 years.
ChuckA is offline Find More Posts by ChuckA
Old Apr 27, 2012, 06:36 PM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,836 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltc View Post
Thank you.

The FCC is done. That was 18 months of development by itself. The transmitter coding is basically done, with support for some changes (like SD media) to be fully tested along with complex math. There is still some work to be done, but all that is left at this point is firmware.
JimDrew is offline Find More Posts by JimDrew
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 27, 2012, 06:40 PM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,836 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckA View Post
I will NEVER NEVER NEVER use a battery that must be removed from the transmitter to be charged. One thing I have learned in 55 years of flying RC is that every time the transmitter case is opened is just another chance to break something. For the last 15 years, I have ALWAYS charged the transmitter and the first model on the way to the field. If I am flying a second model, I put it on charge as soon as the first model is charged. I have not lost a model to a battery failure in over 15 years.
I feel the opposite. I NEVER charge the battery while in the transmitter, and this transmitter is designed so that it forces you to remove the battery to perform a charge. There have been too many fires due to overcharging Nicd/Nimh packs, and we all know how dangerous it is to overcharge a Lipo. So, we will not be offering the ability to charge the battery in the transmitter. If that costs us sales, I am ok with that. The liability is simply too great. If you need to charge once a month, I don't see this as much of an inconvenience. I am sure someone will pull the rubber plug (that replaces the normal charge plug) and modify their transmitter, but we won't be providing this option.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 27, 2012, 08:25 PM
Joined Oct 2007
18 Posts
Hello Jim,
I am with you .My Futaba 8 channel with XPS module has a Turnigy lipos and I get
approx 16-18 hrs before I take it out and balance charge.it.This is the third year for this set up.System has perform well.
Willie McMath-Mt Clemens , Mi.
williemcmath1 is offline Find More Posts by williemcmath1
Old Apr 27, 2012, 08:31 PM
Stop scaring my donkey!
Greenland
Joined Mar 2012
8,194 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDrew View Post
I feel the opposite. I NEVER charge the battery while in the transmitter, and this transmitter is designed so that it forces you to remove the battery to perform a charge. There have been too many fires due to overcharging Nicd/Nimh packs, and we all know how dangerous it is to overcharge a Lipo. So, we will not be offering the ability to charge the battery in the transmitter. If that costs us sales, I am ok with that. The liability is simply too great. If you need to charge once a month, I don't see this as much of an inconvenience. I am sure someone will pull the rubber plug (that replaces the normal charge plug) and modify their transmitter, but we won't be providing this option.
When will "we" be able to do this?
JohnathanSwift is offline Find More Posts by JohnathanSwift
Old Apr 27, 2012, 10:38 PM
Build more, websurf less
Long Valley, NJ, USA
Joined Dec 2001
1,701 Posts
Jim,

Is the battery compartment sized for eight AA cells side by side, or the double shotgun block arrangement?

Thanks,

Paul
FlyingW is offline Find More Posts by FlyingW
Old Apr 27, 2012, 11:20 PM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,836 Posts
It is the 4x4x2 long assembly.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 28, 2012, 12:14 AM
Son, Norway
Joined Sep 2004
3,309 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony37803 View Post

You are comparing a Lipo with less than half the capacity against a safe LiFe pack with built in protection, that can be charged using your old Nixx charger.
flarssen is offline Find More Posts by flarssen
Closed Thread