HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Thread Tools
Old Jul 25, 2012, 08:17 PM
Suspended Account
Greenland
Joined Mar 2012
9,069 Posts
I don't think he has asked for dough, has he?
JohnathanSwift is online now Find More Posts by JohnathanSwift
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 25, 2012, 08:21 PM
Trex 700, Gaui X5, 450DFC
SoarWest's Avatar
United States, AZ, Queen Creek
Joined Apr 2010
326 Posts
I believe it's just an email list where you sign up to be notified. I figure I'll get that via this list.

I am optimistic and want to be supportive too. I just don't care to be on another email list, but do plan to order one when it's possible with an actual shipping date in mind ;-)

I figure there will be pictures and data so it'll be convincing it's real.
SoarWest is offline Find More Posts by SoarWest
Last edited by SoarWest; Jul 25, 2012 at 08:29 PM.
Old Jul 25, 2012, 08:23 PM
Suspended Account
Greenland
Joined Mar 2012
9,069 Posts
Please accept my least specific, most ambiguous....

Man, that was funny!

Frankly, if the guy said "I'm x weeks away, and you can 'preorder' for the discount price of $x, now, understanding the risks of production...blah, blah, blah.", I'd buy in-but this next week business, well....

I mean, I "preordered a TP 820" on this basis, fully understanding the risks, so....
JohnathanSwift is online now Find More Posts by JohnathanSwift
Old Jul 25, 2012, 08:31 PM
Trex 700, Gaui X5, 450DFC
SoarWest's Avatar
United States, AZ, Queen Creek
Joined Apr 2010
326 Posts
That is a good point, a pre-order discount is likely something I would do too. That could be a way to help Jim determine quantities.
SoarWest is offline Find More Posts by SoarWest
Old Jul 25, 2012, 08:41 PM
Suspended Account
Greenland
Joined Mar 2012
9,069 Posts
But, HE SHOULD BE SURE TO DISCLOSE THE RISK of potential non-delivery-I mean, Atlanta has spare rooms, but....
JohnathanSwift is online now Find More Posts by JohnathanSwift
Old Jul 28, 2012, 03:30 PM
MSgt, USAF Ret.
Jim Frahm's Avatar
USA, WA, Spokane
Joined Nov 2003
1,353 Posts
It's a great time to be involved in the RC hobby!!!

I've been useing Futaba radios for more than 3 decades now and just within the past year so many different manufactures have come out with new radios (Futaba included). JR, Jeti, Spektrum, and XPS will soon follow (TBD). The price range between entry level computer radios and top of the line has never been greater $200 - $3000. The consumer has never had it this good....

After 30 years of flying one radio brand I look forward to giving the XPS a try. In the mean time, I just picked up a DX-18 to play with as well. I needed something to use with all the neat BNF stuff available.

I'm patiently waiting to hit the order button.

Thanks for all your hard work Jim!

Best regards,

Jim F.
Jim Frahm is offline Find More Posts by Jim Frahm
Old Jul 28, 2012, 06:07 PM
Dragons, WindMills, all Same
jcstalls's Avatar
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined May 2002
4,375 Posts
Good point Jim.

My first computer radio was a new Airtronics 7SP that was converted by to ATRCS by CSL back in the 80's. I think the total was around $650.00. I still have it and I call it my Pre-Vision.

All in it's time. All the tech in this new XPS TX and at it's price for current market value is quite something. Not to mention XPS limited lifetime warranty that is Not restricted to the original purchaser within a limited time.

Jared
jcstalls is online now Find More Posts by jcstalls
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 29, 2012, 12:09 AM
Registered User
Denver, CO
Joined Nov 2007
1,294 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDrew View Post
The waiting list was over 3,000 last time I checked. Obviously we have to produce many times this number to handle the real world numbers.

--At $400 apiece that wait list is worth around $1.2 million--plus additional sales --add to that receivers, fans etc.

--Looking forward to it all, my 9303 and Nanos are working great!
G-Forse is offline Find More Posts by G-Forse
Old Jul 29, 2012, 12:46 AM
Passion
Joined Sep 2009
346 Posts
Last I know of the price was $250. Whatever the value of the first production run will be, in the long run it will be many times as much only on the RC system, and that is not the big market Jim is aiming for and surely not where he spend all his time on.
Swen is offline Find More Posts by Swen
Last edited by Swen; Jul 29, 2012 at 09:41 AM.
Old Jul 29, 2012, 08:07 AM
Look Up
CiprianGugu's Avatar
United States, TN, Jamestown
Joined Nov 2003
1,180 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Frahm View Post
It's a great time to be involved in the RC hobby!!!

I've been useing Futaba radios for more than 3 decades now and just within the past year so many different manufactures have come out with new radios (Futaba included). JR, Jeti, Spektrum, and XPS will soon follow (TBD). The price range between entry level computer radios and top of the line has never been greater $200 - $3000. The consumer has never had it this good....

After 30 years of flying one radio brand I look forward to giving the XPS a try. In the mean time, I just picked up a DX-18 to play with as well. I needed something to use with all the neat BNF stuff available.

I'm patiently waiting to hit the order button.

Thanks for all your hard work Jim!

Best regards,

Jim F.
Jim,
Do you need a DX-18 to play with the BNF stuff? WOW. People gave me grief for buying a DX8 for my BNF stuff. I had a DX6i for BNF but sold it when DX8 came out because I did not like some stuff about it. So, right now that is the only transmitter I have. Waiting patiently for the XPS 3216 to come out.
CiprianGugu is online now Find More Posts by CiprianGugu
Old Jul 29, 2012, 09:03 AM
Registered User
United States, AZ, Queen Creek
Joined Aug 2004
797 Posts
My first radio transmitter was a Berkley Aerotrol. It cost $30. As I remember we had to wait several months for the manufacturer to gear up and get them out. Some things change and some don't
dirtybird is offline Find More Posts by dirtybird
Old Jul 29, 2012, 09:48 AM
Registered User
Denver, CO
Joined Nov 2007
1,294 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swen View Post
Last I know of the price was $250. Whatever the value of the first production run will be, in the long run it will be many times as much only on the RC system, and that is not the big market Jim is aiming for and surely not where he spend all his time on.
--under $300 sounds great
G-Forse is offline Find More Posts by G-Forse
Old Jul 29, 2012, 12:14 PM
MSgt, USAF Ret.
Jim Frahm's Avatar
USA, WA, Spokane
Joined Nov 2003
1,353 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CiprianGugu View Post
Jim,
Do you need a DX-18 to play with the BNF stuff? WOW. People gave me grief for buying a DX8 for my BNF stuff. I had a DX6i for BNF but sold it when DX8 came out because I did not like some stuff about it. So, right now that is the only transmitter I have. Waiting patiently for the XPS 3216 to come out.
I don't NEED a DX 18, but I did want one that would work well with sailplanes too.

Jim
Jim Frahm is offline Find More Posts by Jim Frahm
Old Jul 29, 2012, 05:01 PM
Look Up
CiprianGugu's Avatar
United States, TN, Jamestown
Joined Nov 2003
1,180 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Frahm View Post
I don't NEED a DX 18, but I did want one that would work well with sailplanes too.

Jim
Good answer. Same here. If Spektrum would sell a black dx18 like the prototype, I would buy one, not because I need it, but because I like how it looks and want one.
CiprianGugu is online now Find More Posts by CiprianGugu
Old Jul 30, 2012, 01:42 AM
Passion
Joined Sep 2009
346 Posts
Other than aggressive marketing I don't know why people buy Spektrum. I saw a lot of planes going down because of Spektrum and would never buy one.
Swen is offline Find More Posts by Swen
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sold XPS 2.4GHz JR Transmitter Module (9x) az_heliguy Aircraft - General - Radio Equipment (FS/W) 19 Apr 05, 2012 12:07 AM
For Sale Hacker / Spin 170 Controller, XPS Pro Dynamax, 15S 6800 XPS packs in 3S bricks. penceaviation Aircraft - Electric - Jets (FS/W) 9 Oct 13, 2011 08:55 AM
Wanted XPS 6800mah 65c 6s want to trade for xps 5000mah 65c and will pay difference sherlockshah Aircraft - Electric - Batteries & Chargers (FS/W) 3 Oct 12, 2011 09:30 AM
For Sale 3s xps 5000mah 65c $60 shipped with warranty also 2s xps 5000mah 65c $45 shipped with sherlockshah Aircraft - Electric - Batteries & Chargers (FS/W) 2 Sep 24, 2011 01:48 PM
Sold TransMitt transmitter bag / warmer**price drop** aerosheldon Aircraft - General - Radio Equipment (FS/W) 5 Mar 31, 2011 01:40 PM