HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old May 15, 2012, 10:51 PM
Tennessee
Joined Sep 2003
2,335 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgunpilot View Post
I've got one of those receivers sitting in my shop, along with a mRCtone transmitter. I had it in a PAA Loader called a Bootstraps. It forced me to learn about electronics.
I learned to fly RC in 1956 with a Bootstraps and a Lorenz twotube receiver. I still have it in the attic, almost repaired from the last crash. Never had the heart to throw it away. Too many nice memories.

Speaking of autotrim, I had a Micropro with autotrim almost 20 years ago. Never found a use for it. I always prefered to land and adjust the linkage instead of the servo. Just old fashioned I guess but it has worked for the last 55 years.
ChuckA is offline Find More Posts by ChuckA
to remove ads between posts
Old May 16, 2012, 07:40 AM
United States, IL, North Aurora
Joined Sep 2009
585 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckA View Post
I learned to fly RC in 1956 with a Bootstraps and a Lorenz twotube receiver. I still have it in the attic, almost repaired from the last crash. Never had the heart to throw it away. Too many nice memories.

Speaking of autotrim, I had a Micropro with autotrim almost 20 years ago. Never found a use for it. I always prefered to land and adjust the linkage instead of the servo. Just old fashioned I guess but it has worked for the last 55 years.
Chuck,
True and valid, I typically do the same to preserve the servos neutral/center point. However, with a new model or one not flown in awhile, things are different and it really can be advantageouis to hold the aircraft in a position via the stick(s) and press one button that will adjust the trims. Feel the model out, land, adjust the linkage, and your off again. Also, in some cases (as in mine) flying a single stick with five digits (one hand) gets a bit nervy when you have to let go of the stick to reach a trim lever; so again, not necessary but there are advantages.
hQQk
hook57 is offline Find More Posts by hook57
Old May 16, 2012, 04:17 PM
Joined May 2007
86 Posts
I adjust my linkage when building or setting up, on maiden only minor tweeks are needed and this auto trim sounds great.
Vapor52 is offline Find More Posts by Vapor52
Old May 16, 2012, 07:44 PM
United States, AZ, Queen Creek
Joined Aug 2004
784 Posts
I set my aircraft up ex actually as the instructions that come with the ac specify. I don't know what some of the guys that write the instructions are smoking because I have some wild rides before I got the thing tamed down.
Auto trim would be a great help.
dirtybird is offline Find More Posts by dirtybird
Old May 19, 2012, 03:00 AM
SAINT PORCHAIRE/ FRANCE
Joined Apr 2009
24 Posts
Hello,

when we can buy it in FRANCE ??

Better thanks.

FRED
fredtrex17 is offline Find More Posts by fredtrex17
Old May 19, 2012, 03:38 PM
Stop scaring my donkey!
Greenland
Joined Mar 2012
8,274 Posts
When your new president says, "Oui!"
JohnathanSwift is offline Find More Posts by JohnathanSwift
Old May 19, 2012, 03:42 PM
Joined Aug 2004
784 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredtrex17 View Post
Hello,

when we can buy it in FRANCE ??

Better thanks.

FRED
If you are asking about autotrim get the Graupner MC-24 .
It you are asking about the transmitter who knows ?
Old May 19, 2012, 05:57 PM
Launceston Arpt, Tasmania, Australia
Joined Jan 2004
564 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hook57 View Post
Chuck,
True and valid, I typically do the same to preserve the servos neutral/center point. However, with a new model or one not flown in awhile, things are different and it really can be advantageouis to hold the aircraft in a position via the stick(s) and press one button that will adjust the trims. Feel the model out, land, adjust the linkage, and your off again. Also, in some cases (as in mine) flying a single stick with five digits (one hand) gets a bit nervy when you have to let go of the stick to reach a trim lever; so again, not necessary but there are advantages.
hQQk
with regard to preserving the servos neutral point, here is a possible reason for changing the neutral point from time to time. On a feedback pot, the deadband zone is where the track will wear out the fastest due to the slight over-run oscillation. by changing the neutral point you effectively increase the working life of the servo.
E_ferret is offline Find More Posts by E_ferret
Old May 19, 2012, 06:09 PM
Joined Aug 2004
784 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by E_ferret View Post
with regard to preserving the servos neutral point, here is a possible reason for changing the neutral point from time to time. On a feedback pot, the deadband zone is where the track will wear out the fastest due to the slight over-run oscillation. by changing the neutral point you effectively increase the working life of the servo.
This is a particular problem with some JR servos that are set up with 0us deadband.
Most standard servos with a deadband of about 13us this will not be a problem.
Coreless or digital servos with a deadband of around 3us can be a problem if connected to a large unbalanced control surface.
Old May 20, 2012, 12:49 AM
SAINT PORCHAIRE/ FRANCE
Joined Apr 2009
24 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnathanSwift View Post
When your new president says, "Oui!"
Hello, excellent !!

A+FRED
fredtrex17 is offline Find More Posts by fredtrex17
Old May 21, 2012, 07:36 AM
United States, IL, North Aurora
Joined Sep 2009
585 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by E_ferret View Post
That is true E, aside from finding/having deadband my preference is to keep the center/neutral point as is. If I am using a somewhat older or well used servo, I may offset the neutral for that reason. However, I typically put those in a sport flyer by then, or if their digid or coreless servos I do send them in. You made a good point though, thanks.
hook
hook57 is offline Find More Posts by hook57
Old May 21, 2012, 11:39 AM
United States, TN, Knoxville
Joined Jan 2001
29 Posts
Jim,

I'm not clear on programming RXs and updating TX firmware. Is an XDP required or is this function included in the TX now? Will an XDP be needed for anything with the new TX & RX?

Thanks again
hebertjj is offline Find More Posts by hebertjj
Old May 21, 2012, 11:44 AM
Stop scaring my donkey!
Greenland
Joined Mar 2012
8,274 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredtrex17 View Post
Hello, excellent !!

A+FRED
Hm, maybe, on second thought, it's "Oui! Oui!"

I don't know, sometimes you guys get me confused-I mean, who could think Jerry Lewis is funny?

All in good humor: http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=...ail&FORM=VIRE1
JohnathanSwift is offline Find More Posts by JohnathanSwift
Old May 22, 2012, 07:58 PM
Tucson, AZ
Joined Aug 2006
353 Posts
I like 500 planes in radio storage since I have over 80 flyable planes. There are more out here like me so over 100 makes sense. 500 makes it so there will never be anyone complaining.

On the XDP Jim stated that the TX can program the RXs like an XDP but the XDP is used to wirelessly program the TX.

Have people waiting on this. They were students but it has been so looong.
skubacb is offline Find More Posts by skubacb
Old May 27, 2012, 01:41 PM
Build more, websurf less
Long Valley, NJ, USA
Joined Dec 2001
1,705 Posts
Saw this in another thread. Two 18650 sized lithium cells in a Tx intended for eight nicads.

Hopefully a similar fit in our XPS unit for two A123 1100mah cells.
FlyingW is offline Find More Posts by FlyingW
Last edited by FlyingW; Oct 19, 2012 at 10:44 AM.
Closed Thread