Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Closed Thread
Old May 10, 2012, 09:57 AM
Inciting Riots
Joined Dec 2006
9,687 Posts
I take it you left the pads for the flash rom on the board, any glue devices that needed to be added back to the board?
village_idiot is offline Find More Posts by village_idiot
to remove ads between posts
Old May 10, 2012, 11:26 AM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,671 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doffen24 View Post
Is this speed for the SD card with the fast Extreme SDHC Class 10 Card or the newer UHS Class 1 ?

According to Sandisk you should have speed, on these cards, up to 10 MB/s (80Mb/s). I do not know about your Baudrate or how many clock cycles needed for one command, but it sure seems enough, so whats slowing things down
You only get fast speed with SD-media card doing multi-block reads and writes. Run a speed test program on any type of media. I have tested old, class 6, and class 10 cards. The single block speeds are horribly slow - like slower than floppy disk speeds. You don't see that great performance until you are reading/writing 4K and larger size chunks. Single blocks (512 bytes) are just super slow, and due to the limited RAM for buffering there is no way to read/write multiple blocks.
JimDrew is offline Find More Posts by JimDrew
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by JimDrew; May 10, 2012 at 11:35 AM.
Old May 10, 2012, 11:33 AM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,671 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by village_idiot View Post
I take it you left the pads for the flash rom on the board, any glue devices that needed to be added back to the board?
No, the FLASHROM is still there - it was just reduced from 12MB to 4MB. That 4MB (32Mbit) contains the speech and audio data, fonts, graphics data, language text, etc. These are things that stay permanently with the transmitter. I removed two of the three FLASHROMs to make room for the micro-SD card socket. There is still also an EEPROM for temporary storage of the current model, and other items loaded from the SD card. FLASHROMs require huge portions to be erased and reflashed every time any data byte needs to be changed. EEPROMs can have individual bytes changed without having to erase/reflash big chunks. EEPROMs also have a 1 million cycle life span, where FLASHROMs are only good for 10,000 flashes before they are ruined. So, it is best to use EEPROM for things that are going to get frequently updated, like trims and such, and then written back to the SD card (or FLASHROM) when the transmitter is shut off or the model changed.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 10, 2012, 01:08 PM
United States, CA, Castro Valley
Joined Dec 2005
181 Posts
Personally, I rarely have more than 4 or 5 models ready to fly. Storage is a huge issue for me. I don't think anyone in my club has more than a dozen. And that is probably fairly average. You guys with more than that are probably more the exception than the rule, so anything over say 2 dozen model memory storage is just icing and bragging rights.
j_whitney is online now Find More Posts by j_whitney
Old May 10, 2012, 01:47 PM
Joined May 2002
216 Posts
50 of my models are ready to fly and most use a 3s 2200 or 1350. a few use 4s and a few use 6s 5000's no bragging, just bought a new one for my birthday for many years. by the way no wife and no kids! Im just a big kid with a lot of toys.
Grich is offline Find More Posts by Grich
Old May 10, 2012, 03:20 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_whitney View Post
Personally, I rarely have more than 4 or 5 models ready to fly. Storage is a huge issue for me. I don't think anyone in my club has more than a dozen. And that is probably fairly average. You guys with more than that are probably more the exception than the rule, so anything over say 2 dozen model memory storage is just icing and bragging rights.
True, we may be the exception, but if you can accomodate 100 models as easily as 20, why not do 100? That way those of us who do want more than a dozen models stored in our radio can do so without issue.

Pat
crxmanpat is offline Find More Posts by crxmanpat
Old May 10, 2012, 03:32 PM
United States, CA, Castro Valley
Joined Dec 2005
181 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crxmanpat View Post
True, we may be the exception, but if you can accomodate 100 models as easily as 20, why not do 100? That way those of us who do want more than a dozen models stored in our radio can do so without issue.

Pat
It sounded as if Jim were running into overhead problems with file size. Fewer models = larger allowable file size.
j_whitney is online now Find More Posts by j_whitney
Old May 10, 2012, 03:52 PM
PGR
Low AltiDude
United States, CA, Costa Mesa
Joined Jun 2004
7,835 Posts
I have 2 or 3 setups stored in my TX for a few of my slope planes. The different setups are for different lift conditions and in one case the setups are for with and without camera.

Yeah, I could do the same thing with one setup and flight conditions if the TX didn't make that level of programming so cumbersome, but my transmitters do so I just use different model setups.

That said, I still can't imagine that I'd ever need more than 100 model memories. Truth be known I'd probably never fill 50.

Pete
PGR is offline Find More Posts by PGR
Old May 10, 2012, 04:17 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,081 Posts
I think the problems he was talking about was with regards to sorting. Not 100% sure though. I see no reason why have 100 model memory would present a file size problem.

Pat
crxmanpat is offline Find More Posts by crxmanpat
Old May 10, 2012, 05:18 PM
Launceston Arpt, Tasmania, Australia
Joined Jan 2004
564 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grich View Post
50 of my models are ready to fly and most use a 3s 2200 or 1350. a few use 4s and a few use 6s 5000's no bragging, just bought a new one for my birthday for many years. by the way no wife and no kids! Im just a big kid with a lot of toys.
looks to me that if you can afford 100+ models fully populated and ready to fly then buying a second or even third transmitter is not a great financial hardship.
E_ferret is offline Find More Posts by E_ferret
Old May 10, 2012, 05:46 PM
Chillaxin dude!
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Joined Apr 2003
4,783 Posts
ah.. but then you have to remember to take the correct tx for the models you are taking to the field...

Much better if just 1 tx that has all your models. Backed up to a PC and a spare tx (in event of failures.

30 Models on the 11x is not enough.. 100 would do me I think..
BulletMaster is offline Find More Posts by BulletMaster
Old May 10, 2012, 06:21 PM
Brisbane Australia
Joined Mar 2003
568 Posts
I would welcome and be pleased with space for 100 models.

I back-up my models that have a complicated set-up onto a second memory spot.

Then if I re-configure the model's set-up and make a mess of it, I can go back to my original set-up.

My transmitter holds 50 models and doesn't have many spare slots.
Graeme Marion is offline Find More Posts by Graeme Marion
Old May 10, 2012, 06:35 PM
Joined May 2007
86 Posts
I have 100 model capability on my 9C---I have about 25 in use----I fly 3 or 4 different ones regularly, but the others are there if I want them-----------rick
Vapor52 is offline Find More Posts by Vapor52
Old May 10, 2012, 06:49 PM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,671 Posts
To be clear, I was referring to the sort issue when you had a lot of model names. There is no sort issue when using FLASHROM to store models. So, the option I am looking at is restoring the original FLASHROM<>model code (for perhaps 500 models) and use the SD-media card as a means to back and restore models to FLASHROM. This way, we can sort internally without any speed penalty and 500 models should be plenty of space for most everyone anyways.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 10, 2012, 09:00 PM
Joined May 2002
216 Posts
Yay!!!! Way to go Jim.
Grich is offline Find More Posts by Grich
Closed Thread