HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old May 09, 2012, 09:57 PM
Acacia II Lunar Lander
United States, CA, LADERA RANCH
Joined Feb 2011
640 Posts
I'd far prefer 50 models with really fast performance over a bajillion models with slower performance. Anyone who has the dough for 50 models can easily buy another XPS radio at their expected price.
RCRod is offline Find More Posts by RCRod
to remove ads between posts
Old May 09, 2012, 10:19 PM
Inciting Riots
Joined Dec 2006
9,687 Posts
Was that flash rom on the MCU or an external device? With a PC application to move models into and out of the TX I think most people will be fine with 50 models. If you can swap models into and out of th flash rom with SD card, then even better because you could carry all models with you on a card and swap them when needed.
village_idiot is offline Find More Posts by village_idiot
Old May 09, 2012, 10:37 PM
Ipoh, Perak Malaysia
Joined Jul 2006
4,011 Posts
Jim,

100 models is more than twice as many model as I have, which is again thrice what I have flyable at any time. 500 seems excessive.

As long as I can save/load each model individually from/to the micro sd card, then it is more than anything I need. Note though, that the saving/loading should be individual models instead of all 100 at a time. Also you should have the facility to backup/load ALL models in memory at one time.

Thanks for listening/reading

chewy
chewytm is offline Find More Posts by chewytm
Old May 09, 2012, 10:45 PM
Expo is built into my thumbs
USA, ID, Niter
Joined Jul 2008
4,489 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCRod View Post
I'd far prefer 50 models with really fast performance over a bajillion models with slower performance. Anyone who has the dough for 50 models can easily buy another XPS radio at their expected price.
That really depends on the models. I have said for years I would rather have twenty 200 dollar models than one 4,000 dollar model. To be honest some of the funnest models I have are some of the cheapest.
Hance is offline Find More Posts by Hance
Old May 09, 2012, 10:54 PM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,910 Posts
Thanks for the feedback. I will look at going back to the original code for the FLASHROM (which is external to the CPU, but runs @25MHz so block writes take 7us vs. 131ms for the SD-Media card).
JimDrew is offline Find More Posts by JimDrew
RCG Plus Member
Old May 09, 2012, 11:20 PM
Another Flying W
Joined Dec 2011
16 Posts
Given glitches and lost planes over just the last year or so by myself and my flying buddies (including a .40 size Chipmunk yesterday), I would gladly give a hundred dollar bill, (maybe more !) + list prices, to have the 32:16 tx and a handfull of nanos in the hangar right now

I would even settle for a 20 model memory (sound familiar?). Realistically, 50 models would be great, 100 would be magic - I have just over 50 planes, but am lucky to have a dozen airworthy at any given moment.

The rock-solid link would be worth a ton to have as soon as is reasonable, and then look forward to any upgrades later I know the XPS module is an interim option, but I'm still hoping to hold on for the "real deal".

Give 'er hell Jim - we're looking forward to the "prize" !
Coulee Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Coulee Flyer
Old May 09, 2012, 11:20 PM
Expo is built into my thumbs
USA, ID, Niter
Joined Jul 2008
4,489 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDrew View Post
I realize that 100 models is probably more than most RC enthusiasts will have in a lifetime, so using the SD-media just for loading/backing up models is an option. As it is now, its really slow to access models. That takes away from the rest of the transmitter's incredibly fast (100% assembly code) perceived value.
I am a fairly extreme case and I don't have even half of the 100 model limit. I might hit 50 by the end of the year but I can see myself ever making it to 100 models.
Hance is offline Find More Posts by Hance
Old May 09, 2012, 11:53 PM
Israel, Jerusalem
Joined May 2007
141 Posts
I dont think anybody needs more than 20-30 models on board the TX at a given time. A small PC program that can hold and manage an unlimited number of models will do, they can be uploaded to the TX when needed. Make it not only PC, but iPhone and Android as well. They all have USB connectivity and unlimited (well, almost) memory.
There they can be managed in folders and subfolders in an easy way.
S_YORAM1@BEZEQIN is offline Find More Posts by S_YORAM1@BEZEQIN
Old May 10, 2012, 01:20 AM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,599 Posts
I personally have had over 100 different models in just over 6 years of flying. Currently my 9303 30-model memory is full, all with planes that are flyable (with one slot used as a "Test" plane to test newly built models for sale).

50 would be good. 100 would be great. And an SD card is just the cat's meow!

Pat
crxmanpat is online now Find More Posts by crxmanpat
Old May 10, 2012, 01:58 AM
Norway
Joined Sep 2008
232 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDrew View Post
Thanks for the feedback. I will look at going back to the original code for the FLASHROM (which is external to the CPU, but runs @25MHz so block writes take 7us vs. 131ms for the SD-Media card).
Is this speed for the SD card with the fast Extreme SDHC Class 10 Card or the newer UHS Class 1 ?

According to Sandisk you should have speed, on these cards, up to 10 MB/s (80Mb/s). I do not know about your Baudrate or how many clock cycles needed for one command, but it sure seems enough, so whats slowing things down
Doffen24 is offline Find More Posts by Doffen24
Old May 10, 2012, 02:50 AM
Tennessee
Joined Sep 2003
2,338 Posts
Fifty years ago, we adjusted the linkages in the model to fit the transmitter. Forty years ago, some manufacturers added the ability to change the center of the servo with a small screw driver. Thirty five years ago, some manufacturers added a reversing switch to their transmitters and we began launching with the reversing switch in the wrong position. Thirty years ago, transmitters had mixers and it became possible to re-kit a model even faster. Twenty five years ago, transmitters added the ability to have multiple setups in the same transmitter and it wasn’t enough to just verify that all controls moved in the correct direction before takeoff. Twenty years ago, some transmitters added programmable functions and we started needing a programming manual to sort out what each stick and switch on the transmitter did. Ten years ago, many transmitters could have dozens of setups and just identifying which model has been selected became a problem. Now some people are talking about transmitters with hundreds of model setups.

I still prefer to set up my models to fit the transmitter and use all the transmitter programs to fine tune the setup to fit the model. No matter which model is selected in the transmitter, I know that all controls move in the correct directions and the model will at least be flyable enough to land.
ChuckA is offline Find More Posts by ChuckA
Old May 10, 2012, 04:13 AM
Chillaxin dude!
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Joined Apr 2003
4,808 Posts
don't forget there will be model matching.. ie it will tell you when you don't have the correct model selected by not working... definite progress.
BulletMaster is offline Find More Posts by BulletMaster
Old May 10, 2012, 05:01 AM
Gotta Luv Gasser Helis..
Gold Coast, Qld , Australia
Joined Apr 2006
330 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckA View Post
Fifty years ago, we adjusted the linkages in the model to fit the transmitter. Forty years ago, some manufacturers added the ability to change the center of the servo with a small screw driver. Thirty five years ago, some manufacturers added a reversing switch to their transmitters and we began launching with the reversing switch in the wrong position. Thirty years ago, transmitters had mixers and it became possible to re-kit a model even faster. Twenty five years ago, transmitters added the ability to have multiple setups in the same transmitter and it wasn’t enough to just verify that all controls moved in the correct direction before takeoff. Twenty years ago, some transmitters added programmable functions and we started needing a programming manual to sort out what each stick and switch on the transmitter did. Ten years ago, many transmitters could have dozens of setups and just identifying which model has been selected became a problem. Now some people are talking about transmitters with hundreds of model setups.

I still prefer to set up my models to fit the transmitter and use all the transmitter programs to fine tune the setup to fit the model. No matter which model is selected in the transmitter, I know that all controls move in the correct directions and the model will at least be flyable enough to land.
Bloody hell , I must be getting old ; I remember ALL of those " improvements" !!

But I still want this radio , 30 - 50 model memory will be awesome..
_Peter is offline Find More Posts by _Peter
Old May 10, 2012, 06:42 AM
Brisbane Australia
Joined Mar 2003
568 Posts
My 12X has 50 model memories.
I put the model memory number on the fin of all my models.

Graeme Marion is offline Find More Posts by Graeme Marion
Old May 10, 2012, 09:06 AM
Stress Be Gone
Snohomish, WA
Joined May 2000
3,410 Posts
100 or more
GBR2 is offline Find More Posts by GBR2
Closed Thread