Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Closed Thread
Old May 07, 2012, 08:44 PM
The Villages, Florida
Joined May 2003
423 Posts
Question, Jim...........

A buddy and I were talking today about the new Tx as I am trying to "convert" him over to XPS.... The question, of course, was when I thought the new transmitter would be available.....

I told him that I would be happy if the transmitter was released by the end of the year......

I seem to recall in a previous post just after you received that long awaited "OK" from the FCC that the transmitters had gone into "production".

Then, there was that period of time when you were away while on your secret project.......

So the question is this: Has the transmitter actually gone into production yet or am I dreaming that this was stated ??

Thanx in advance for the clarification.....
JuanRodriguez is offline Find More Posts by JuanRodriguez
to remove ads between posts
Old May 07, 2012, 09:06 PM
Bazz
Swift Current, SK. Canada
Joined May 2007
85 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanRodriguez View Post
A buddy and I were talking today about the new Tx as I am trying to "convert" him over to XPS.... The question, of course, was when I thought the new transmitter would be available.....

I told him that I would be happy if the transmitter was released by the end of the year......

I seem to recall in a previous post just after you received that long awaited "OK" from the FCC that the transmitters had gone into "production".

Then, there was that period of time when you were away while on your secret project.......

So the question is this: Has the transmitter actually gone into production yet or am I dreaming that this was stated ??

Thanx in advance for the clarification.....
See Post # 80.
Bazz is offline Find More Posts by Bazz
Old May 07, 2012, 09:13 PM
United States, TN, Maryville
Joined Jun 2011
107 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazz View Post
See Post # 80.
He isn't asking for a release date. Only asking if they have actually started production as stated in a previous thread.

The hardware is likely done (and he is asking if it is in production as previously stated). It's likely the software and testing that determines the release date at this point.
Tony37803 is offline Find More Posts by Tony37803
Old May 08, 2012, 08:59 AM
Inciting Riots
Joined Dec 2006
9,687 Posts
Let's see if the anon. stalker rears his head again...

If the long file names are a problem, I say dump it for now and add it back in later if you overcome the difficulty. Same goes for index or search or whatever, it can be added later.

How many model names can you fit on a single screen before you need to scroll to another line or page? The more names on the display at once the easier it is to scroll through hundreds of models to find what you need.

Also I can't remember if the SD card is buried inside the TX or if it is externally accessible. If external then the simple solution would be to suggest that users put models on different cards, just swap to the card that is needed for the active model. Small SD cards are extremely cheap to the point where it might be feasible to have one card per model for the majority of your users.

[edit] I also kind of recall talk of putting the firmware on the SD card which means swapping cards may not work.
village_idiot is offline Find More Posts by village_idiot
Old May 08, 2012, 09:15 AM
United States, TN, Maryville
Joined Jun 2011
107 Posts
Internal SD card.
Tony37803 is offline Find More Posts by Tony37803
Old May 08, 2012, 10:10 AM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,713 Posts
The various pieces of the transmitter have been in production for awhile.

7 model names fit on the screen at the same time. The card is internal.
JimDrew is online now Find More Posts by JimDrew
RCG Plus Member
Old May 08, 2012, 10:38 AM
The Villages, Florida
Joined May 2003
423 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDrew View Post
The various pieces of the transmitter have been in production for awhile.
I think this was in response to my question ??

So, reading between the lines, productioni <ie, assembly> of the actual transmitter as a "whole unit" (less the software programming which is still being tested) has not yet begun.... Right ?
Old May 08, 2012, 11:14 AM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,713 Posts
There are no lines to read between. Production is production. I was just stating that there are a lot of pieces, some of which were started long ago. The firmware is the big hold up, since that was put off for basically 10 months.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 08, 2012, 02:02 PM
Stop scaring my donkey!
Greenland
Joined Mar 2012
7,476 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanRodriguez View Post
I think this was in response to my question ??

So, reading between the lines, productioni <ie, assembly> of the actual transmitter as a "whole unit" (less the software programming which is still being tested) has not yet begun.... Right ?
Juan, D. B. Cooper swears by this radio.
JohnathanSwift is offline Find More Posts by JohnathanSwift
Old May 08, 2012, 02:14 PM
Denver, CO
Joined Nov 2007
1,249 Posts
--Just build it, test it, and we'll buy it. We can upgrade as we go along
G-Forse is offline Find More Posts by G-Forse
Old May 08, 2012, 03:09 PM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,713 Posts
That's what we are doing.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 08, 2012, 04:44 PM
The Villages, Florida
Joined May 2003
423 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnathanSwift View Post
Juan, D. B. Cooper swears by this radio.
Yes, and with that tremendous amount on $$ he "allegedly" has stashed somewhere, he can surely buy lots of transmitters !!

Jim,

Sounds like my question has annoyed you. Not my intent.....

Quite honestly, I would not matter to me if the radio never comes to market. I will continue to be an XPS supporter and promoter and I will remain perfectly satisfied with my JR 9303 and XPS module with the current line of receivers.... That radio will do everything I need both for helis and planks......

It sure would be nice to own one of your new transmitters, though...... whenever that might come to fruition.....
Old May 08, 2012, 05:48 PM
Launceston Arpt, Tasmania, Australia
Joined Jan 2004
564 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDrew View Post
With limited available memory, doing a sort of files is something that might actually be impossible to do. I would have to write code that reorganized the FAT table after every model that was created. After so many models, there would not be enough memory available to hold the filenames while the data was relocated. A PC side program could do this though.
another possibility would be to do a bubble sort . this would take virtually no ram space as you only work on two keys at a time. it just would be slow, can you live with that?
E_ferret is offline Find More Posts by E_ferret
Old May 08, 2012, 06:27 PM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,713 Posts
You can't realistically bubble sort the FAT table. This is what drive optimizers are for. It takes 131ms to write a single block to a SD media card (average speed is much faster if you are writing multiple blocks contiguously but we don't have that option). So, every time you needed to move the two entries on the bubble sort, the sorted block has to be re-written. Even caching the last used block (which I do for reads), writes still are writes. Even with a delayed write, you are talking many, many, seconds to perform a sort when the number of files exceeded just a few dozen. I can't imagine that this would be acceptable.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 08, 2012, 06:50 PM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined May 2006
6,407 Posts
As you suggested Jim, leave sorting to a helper application on the PC. So long as the model memories can be managed from a PC and then loaded back onto the Tx, this really is a non-issue IMO. The reality is that very few users will have more than 20 models and scrolling through a list of even 100 is not particularly difficult.

What comes to my mind is that you are talking about filename restrictions. I hope they do not translate to model name restrictions. That is, the model name should be an attribute stored in the file. If there are technical limitations that mean the filename cannot be the same as the model name then that should not be an issue. Indeed, model filenames could simply be "Model.001", "Model.002" or any other arbitrary way of generating unique filenames. Then the presentation on-screen can be decoupled from the filenames. This allows for usefully long model names (e.g. 32 characters) which tend to be needed for anyone with more than a handful of models.

Such an approach, combined with the concept of an index file may also simplify the sorting/ordering issue. The index file maps between <modelname> and <filename>. If it is a simple text file (.csv perhaps) then it can be sorted on a PC or the user could even edit it manually to create any preferred grouping or ordering.
kgfly is offline Find More Posts by kgfly
Closed Thread