Closed Thread
Old May 04, 2012, 10:50 AM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,757 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manta1 View Post
yea,i kinda figured that.The A9 has a weird cable plug and i was just wondering what kind of plug your radio was gonna do.I reckon there will just have to be your plug on one end and whatever radio's plug on the other
Thanks.
Matt
Our trainer/expansion port uses a stereo plug with ground, signal, and power/signal. Ground is just that, ground. The signal is connected to both the 2nd audio channel on board as well as a PWM and I/O pins on the CPU. So, the signal line can send audio data, PWM data, or be used as an input. The power/signal line is connected to a MOSFET that can be toggled on or off to either provide a constant 750mA 3.3v power output, or act as a digital signal line.

Having the combination of these options lets us do things like program speed controllers (like a CastleLink), program servos, drive external peripherals (like an optical tach), play music through headphones, or even act as a trainer port.
JimDrew is online now Find More Posts by JimDrew
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old May 04, 2012, 12:02 PM
Acacia II Lunar Lander
United States, CA, LADERA RANCH
Joined Feb 2011
640 Posts
Quote:
Sorry. IPhone keyboard and I dont get along sometimes. I fixed it.
Aww, that's no fun!
RCRod is offline Find More Posts by RCRod
Old May 04, 2012, 12:40 PM
United States, TN, Knoxville
Joined Jan 2001
29 Posts
Wow Jim, what a trainer port! I can see a whole line of XPS Tx accessories simular to the laptop USB powered toaster. Maybe a Trainer port powered MotoTool? ;-)

Seriously tho, I assume you can set the I/Os to the signal & pwr/signal lines from the Tx menu; neat! I assume someone will eventually come up with a short tutorial on how to make buddy cables to use old Futaba, Hitec, and other TXs for buddy boxes.
hebertjj is offline Find More Posts by hebertjj
Old May 04, 2012, 01:01 PM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
20,180 Posts
Quote:
Wireless buddy boxing do sound like the bees knees for sure!!
Still dont wanna give up my touch screen tho just yet on the A9.
...like hanging onto a bad girlfriend for all the wrong reasons... you can do better man, just let her go
theKM is offline Find More Posts by theKM
Old May 04, 2012, 02:22 PM
OOPS
USA, GA, Cochran
Joined Jun 2008
20,157 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDrew View Post
Our trainer/expansion port uses a stereo plug with ground, signal, and power/signal. Ground is just that, ground. The signal is connected to both the 2nd audio channel on board as well as a PWM and I/O pins on the CPU. So, the signal line can send audio data, PWM data, or be used as an input. The power/signal line is connected to a MOSFET that can be toggled on or off to either provide a constant 750mA 3.3v power output, or act as a digital signal line.

Having the combination of these options lets us do things like program speed controllers (like a CastleLink), program servos, drive external peripherals (like an optical tach), play music through headphones, or even act as a trainer port.
Dude,thats slicker than owl poo..
KM,my plan is to get 1 of the new radios,play with it a while and see if I indeed,like it better than my A9,which will be huge if I do. Being able to buddy box between the two will be icing on the cake while I am testing the new one. Music through headphones from the radio while hucking is AWSOME! I have no,thats ZERO plans on leaving the XPS link tho. Rock solid in a crowd is what I needed and got when I changed.The lack of latency was very good as well
Manta1 is offline Find More Posts by Manta1
Old May 04, 2012, 04:06 PM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,757 Posts
Or, you can keep your A9, get our new Tx and then also get the new A9 Tx board. Then you will have wireless buddy box between the two.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 04, 2012, 04:07 PM
OOPS
USA, GA, Cochran
Joined Jun 2008
20,157 Posts
Quote:
Or, you can keep your A9, get our new Tx and then also get the new A9 Tx board. Then you will have wireless buddy box between the two.
HA! Was exactly what I was thinking too and you answered my next question..thanks you mind reader you
Im not gonna ask tho so you won't zing me again.
Manta1 is offline Find More Posts by Manta1
Old May 04, 2012, 05:13 PM
USA, VA, Narrows
Joined Mar 2009
1,493 Posts
Quote:
Sweet I can't wait to get my hands on the tx and a9 board.
skippy78 is online now Find More Posts by skippy78
Old May 04, 2012, 06:58 PM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
Toronto (Don Mills), Canada
Joined Dec 2002
16,607 Posts
Quote:
Just curious, is the A9 tx board going to support the touch screen?
pmackenzie is offline Find More Posts by pmackenzie
Old May 04, 2012, 08:19 PM
Fly inverted, it's more fun.
Joined Apr 2006
218 Posts
Quote:
That's what I want. Will do that ASAP. I think the touch screen will be supported because the A9 has no wheel to select options.
tholmes345 is online now Find More Posts by tholmes345
Old May 05, 2012, 01:31 AM
Ipoh, Perak Malaysia
Joined Jul 2006
4,005 Posts
Quote:
I suppose your boards will make use of the A9's touch screen, right?

If only you would make it switchable to use the O9 and o7 rx too. Now, THAT would be nice and I don't have to get rid of 6 O9 and 2 O7 rxs.

The cheapie Assan I would not mind throwing out as I have used them for almost 5 years now and has depreciated to zero value at the usual accounting methods. My wife is a bean counter and these things matters to her.

chewy
chewytm is offline Find More Posts by chewytm
Last edited by chewytm; May 05, 2012 at 11:18 AM.
Old May 05, 2012, 10:12 AM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,757 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmackenzie View Post
Just curious, is the A9 tx board going to support the touch screen?
Of course!
RCG Plus Member
Old May 05, 2012, 10:14 AM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,757 Posts
It would be possible to support the Hitec RF since they use a module. Although this will not be a priority.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 05, 2012, 11:59 AM
Inciting Riots
Joined Dec 2006
9,687 Posts
In other words, Jim doesn't want to program his RF section to work with Hitec because it would step on toes and cause a problem. Don't really blame him for choosing not to do this. He could also program it for Spectrum DSM to work with the little bind n fly models, but again it would cause problems down the road.

What might be nice would be a spare serial port that could run a shell routine, the user then plugs in parameters that would allow interfacing to things like the RF board from a dx4e in order to make a 6 channel DSM/DSMX system to use with some of the smaller models. The user would then need to wire up this RF board to complete the system. Legally this should work without issue since the end user needs to configure and build the RF section for this mode. It would be an interesting option for down the road if there is a spare serial port available.
village_idiot is offline Find More Posts by village_idiot
Old May 05, 2012, 01:05 PM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,757 Posts
It's not physically possible to "program" our RF section to be compatible with other RF technologies. With 2.4GHz, everyone uses their own modulation scheme. So, it is not possible to be compatible with different modulation schemes. We could be 100% compatible with JETI as they use the exact same modulation that we do.

We could program our control board to talk to any existing RF technology. In this case, we could support anything that uses a separate RF board or module. This includes the A9, all Spektrum, Futaba, and Airtronics. So, basically every single radio could have a replacement board for it supporting its native RF. This is obviously something that would not promote future receiver sales for us, so it is not something that we will be doing any time soon, if ever.
RCG Plus Member
Closed Thread