Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Apr 25, 2012, 08:35 PM
Art Schmitz
United States, TN, Crossville
Joined Jan 2012
392 Posts
Set your plane up for BOTH configurations...easy to switch from one to the other.
Both benefit from toe in and camber.
( I have flown both in models and 1:1 and prefer tail draggers.)
lindart is offline Find More Posts by lindart
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 25, 2012, 09:26 PM
Redacted per NSA "suggestion"
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Feb 2012
5,417 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lindart View Post
Set your plane up for BOTH configurations...easy to switch from one to the other.
Both benefit from toe in and camber.
( I have flown both in models and 1:1 and prefer tail draggers.)
Building on this. I was once at a field and a guy had a stick. He had gear on both the bottom and the top. He would do touch n go's both normal then next one was inverted.

You could do both, tg one side and trike the other.
dedStik is online now Find More Posts by dedStik
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: More Confessions of a Smoker
Old Apr 25, 2012, 09:43 PM
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2004
5,557 Posts
Go with what you want, sounds like a trail dragger to me...
Evan D is online now Find More Posts by Evan D
Old Apr 25, 2012, 10:49 PM
Fueled by Arabica Beans
United States, NY, Syracuse
Joined Oct 2008
3,846 Posts
I have only one plane that has tricycle gear and it's the only one that I actually enjoy taking off and landing with... landings are just a heck of a lot more elegant with a trike.

But, tail draggers are much better looking as most people seem to agree. I am glad I've got one trike in the hangar, but 90% of what I build and fly has conventional gear.

Bob, I've seen plenty of problems with high speed taxiing with both types of gear. Planes simply aren't made to corner on the ground... get a car if you want to drive it around like a maniac. A properly designed trike will not tip very easily either.
ChillPhatCat is offline Find More Posts by ChillPhatCat
Old Apr 26, 2012, 01:02 AM
Go Ducks
United States, OR, Milwaukie
Joined Feb 2012
136 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dedStik View Post
Building on this. I was once at a field and a guy had a stick. He had gear on both the bottom and the top. He would do touch n go's both normal then next one was inverted.

You could do both, tg one side and trike the other.
I might just have to find time for a fun little scratch build of something like this... I've been wanting to improve upon my inverted flying, that's one way to do it! Maybe I will call it the Cessna 181
RexSe7en is offline Find More Posts by RexSe7en
Old Apr 26, 2012, 11:11 AM
United States, OR, Canby
Joined Aug 2011
2,138 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChillPhatCat View Post
Bob, I've seen plenty of problems with high speed taxiing with both types of gear. Planes simply aren't made to corner on the ground... get a car if you want to drive it around like a maniac. A properly designed trike will not tip very easily either.
I was merely pointing out the different ground handling tendencies of the two types of gear.

A motorcycle configured as a trike, one wheel in the front two in the rear, is less stable roll over wise than one that has two wheels in the front and one in the rear. Same thing with an airplane.
600Bob is online now Find More Posts by 600Bob
Old Apr 26, 2012, 02:57 PM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Latvia / UK visits
Joined Jan 2010
8,335 Posts
I understand rthe wish to have TD with a Spitfire etc. - as it's scale etc. But a Cessna and general trainer - I really do not understand wish to create Tail Dragger ...

A trike is much better for trainer .. even after 40 years in the game ..... I still prefer a trike. I fly various covering trikes, tail draggers ... I enjoy all of them. But I would never alter one to the other ...
solentlife is offline Find More Posts by solentlife
Old Apr 27, 2012, 02:51 AM
United States, MI, Monroe
Joined Jun 2009
2,002 Posts
Preferrence choice, I have fun with both but overall I believe than my smoother landing percentages are higher with a taildragger.
Tony K is offline Find More Posts by Tony K
Old Apr 27, 2012, 10:36 AM
Redacted per NSA "suggestion"
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Feb 2012
5,417 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by solentlife View Post
I understand rthe wish to have TD with a Spitfire etc. - as it's scale etc. But a Cessna and general trainer - I really do not understand wish to create Tail Dragger ...

A trike is much better for trainer .. even after 40 years in the game ..... I still prefer a trike. I fly various covering trikes, tail draggers ... I enjoy all of them. But I would never alter one to the other ...
Bush planes are generally some cub like bird in td config, not far from a cessna.
dedStik is online now Find More Posts by dedStik
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: More Confessions of a Smoker