HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 25, 2012, 11:32 AM
Balsa builder and balsa basher
Joined Apr 2012
683 Posts
Discussion
Tail Dragger or Tricycle Gear?????

I'm scratch building a high wing trainer and was wondering if i should make it tricycle gear of a tail dragger. I prefer tail draggers because i feel they look better but i'm so torn between both of them HELP! Here's the link to the build http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1638287
RC Trainer plane is offline Find More Posts by RC Trainer plane
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 25, 2012, 11:39 AM
jrb
Edina, MN, USA
Joined Oct 1999
11,396 Posts
One of the main reasons Cubs no longer serve as primary trainers.

Make it so it can go both ways!

Especially if you have a nice runway; if not -- dragger.
jrb is offline Find More Posts by jrb
Old Apr 25, 2012, 11:43 AM
United States, OR, Canby
Joined Aug 2011
2,120 Posts
Depends on your rudder skills. Some tail draggers have mild ground handling others are wild. Nose overs on grass fields can be a problem depending on wheel size and how tall the grass is. I too like the looks of a TG and all but one of my larger planes are TG.
600Bob is offline Find More Posts by 600Bob
Old Apr 25, 2012, 12:25 PM
North Richland Hills, Texas USA
Joined Aug 2000
1,850 Posts
For over 30 years a trike gear was considered the standard configuration for a trainer. Much easier to takeoff and land in most siturations. About 10 years or so ago tail draggers made a comeback for no more apparent reason than its cheaper and less complicated to install in an ARF. It is about the same in full size avaition and until the lightweight aircraft started to appear most air vehicles were of a tricycle configuration. Just easier to drive for a fledgling pilot. I've been flying now for over 50 years and seen the cycles and many reinventions. ed
Ed Couch is online now Find More Posts by Ed Couch
Old Apr 25, 2012, 12:33 PM
H&H
H&H Hobbies
Old mystic CT U.S.A.
Joined Nov 2003
641 Posts
We all have to learn tail wheen technique eventually, so why not now? I say Tail Wheel
H&H is offline Find More Posts by H&H
Old Apr 25, 2012, 12:40 PM
miniture aircraft pilot
United States, FL, Tampa
Joined Oct 2007
1,328 Posts
good luck with this can-o-worms
rcshirt is offline Find More Posts by rcshirt
Old Apr 25, 2012, 12:48 PM
I fly 3-C Crash,Crunch,Crumble
USA, NM, Clovis
Joined Feb 2010
1,033 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcshirt View Post
good luck with this can-o-worms
A well built and properly setup TD is no harder to manage than a tri-gear. Go with the good loo0ks and become an excellent pilot. Roy Flying since 1959 AMA #8045
Mr. foambuilder is offline Find More Posts by Mr. foambuilder
Old Apr 25, 2012, 12:57 PM
Joined Apr 2012
683 Posts
thanks everbody slightly swaying towards the tail dragger but i'm open for more discussion
Old Apr 25, 2012, 01:00 PM
Joined Apr 2012
683 Posts
HERE's THE LINK TO MY SCRATCH BUILD TAKE A LOOK AND COMMENThttp://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1638287
Old Apr 25, 2012, 01:10 PM
Redacted per NSA "suggestion"
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Feb 2012
5,410 Posts
Make it a TD, you can always slide the front gear forward to help keep it from nosing over on landings. This would make it look more bushplane or cublike.
dedStik is online now Find More Posts by dedStik
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Confessions of a smoker...
Old Apr 25, 2012, 01:25 PM
Joined Apr 2012
683 Posts
Yeah i'm definate now it's going to be a Tail dragger
Old Apr 25, 2012, 03:43 PM
United States, FL, The Villages
Joined Oct 2010
3,994 Posts
I do not have one nose gear plane! I'm a TD guy, I guess.
Don
dkrhardy is offline Find More Posts by dkrhardy
Old Apr 25, 2012, 04:04 PM
Joined Mar 2012
62 Posts
Really its going to be up to you. Ive been told with full size aircraft a tail dragger will get airborne faster (less runway). Not to mention the fact that you can turn a larger prop as it will sit higher with the tail on the ground. But landing with a larger prop forces you to have to make a 3 point or near a 3 point landing to save the prop.

Ground handling in my opinion is better with a tail dragger. My reasoning for this compared trike gear is if you have to turn hard on the ground with a trike typically the nose wheel works like a pivot point the plane is more likely to tip. Where with a tail dragger your steering from the rear and the tail will swap ends and with little tip over tendancy.

Taking off is pretty much the same you still have to put in a little right rudder to keep it going straight to counter act the torque of the motor. But this is where a tail dragger excells over a trike. Once the tail is flying on a tail dragger you can almost forget about rudder inputs and concentrate on getting the plane airborne. Where with a trike your riding the rudder stick almost untill it gets airborne. But this will also depend on runway surface and wind conditions.

These statements are my opinions and experience's. Others may disagree. But Ive been told by full size aircraft pilots that REAL pilots fly taildraggers.
SilverState RC is offline Find More Posts by SilverState RC
Old Apr 25, 2012, 04:59 PM
Joined Jan 2007
52 Posts
Given the choice I'd go with a tail dragger every day. So many more fun things to do such as wheel landings and three points. I'm biased though cause I got my Private in a tailwheel.
norcalwelder is offline Find More Posts by norcalwelder
Old Apr 25, 2012, 05:45 PM
United States, OR, Canby
Joined Aug 2011
2,120 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverState RC View Post
Really its going to be up to you. Ive been told with full size aircraft a tail dragger will get airborne faster (less runway). Not to mention the fact that you can turn a larger prop as it will sit higher with the tail on the ground. But landing with a larger prop forces you to have to make a 3 point or near a 3 point landing to save the prop.

Ground handling in my opinion is better with a tail dragger. My reasoning for this compared trike gear is if you have to turn hard on the ground with a trike typically the nose wheel works like a pivot point the plane is more likely to tip. Where with a tail dragger your steering from the rear and the tail will swap ends and with little tip over tendancy.

Taking off is pretty much the same you still have to put in a little right rudder to keep it going straight to counter act the torque of the motor. But this is where a tail dragger excells over a trike. Once the tail is flying on a tail dragger you can almost forget about rudder inputs and concentrate on getting the plane airborne. Where with a trike your riding the rudder stick almost untill it gets airborne. But this will also depend on runway surface and wind conditions.

These statements are my opinions and experience's. Others may disagree. But Ive been told by full size aircraft pilots that REAL pilots fly taildraggers.
From the perspective of full scale. Tail draggers tend to be more difficult on the ground because the CG is behind the main gear which causes them to want to swap ends, i.e. ground loop, this is a danger as long as the wheels are on the ground but lessens as you reach flying speed. You don't stop "flying" a TD until it has come to a complete stop. With a trike the CG is ahead of the main gear and tends to keep the plane straight when the wheels are on the ground.

Trikes don't like hard turns in a high speed taxi, they tip over like a kids tricycle. The proper takeoff technique is to lift the nose wheel as soon as possible. In a soft field takeoff you pull the yoke to your chest right from the start then let off pressure as the wheel comes off the ground so you don't whack the tail on the ground.

Both types require you to stay on the rudder because of the left turning tendancy of torque and P-factor.

Real Pilots fly tail draggers because they are more difficult to take off and land plus pilots tend to have big egos and Trikes are used as primary trainers for ease of ground handling.

Yes I have flown full scale and have flown TD but only for a flight review and not to solo them.
600Bob is offline Find More Posts by 600Bob