HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 25, 2012, 06:40 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Mar 2012
60 Posts
Discussion
Want to use my DX8 for flying FPV, what is its range?

Want to use my DX8 for flying FPV, what is the range of this radio under ideal conditions?
easystarfpv4 is offline Find More Posts by easystarfpv4
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 25, 2012, 07:30 AM
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Jul 2008
67 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by easystarfpv4 View Post
Want to use my DX8 for flying FPV, what is the range of this radio under ideal conditions?
Hi,
I have the same tx and trust me, you don't want to fly FPV with this radio, it has small range (I had failsafes even at 500m). I bought the Dragon link LRS(which is connected to trainer port) and now the range is the least that I'm thinking.

Regards
voutsasva is offline Find More Posts by voutsasva
Old Apr 25, 2012, 10:56 AM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,567 Posts
It depends on the system you are using for video and filtration and such, but estimate 500 feet of usable control with a DX8.

-Alex
IBCrazy is offline Find More Posts by IBCrazy
Old Apr 25, 2012, 12:34 PM
fly by night
Joined Sep 2011
5,837 Posts
500ft!

OK maybe with unfiltered 1280 MHz video?

I have flown many times up to 1km using a AR6200 w satellite and nary a glitch. That is with 5.8 video. But I try to stay within 500m when using 2.4 (and no booster)
BCSaltchucker is offline Find More Posts by BCSaltchucker
Old Apr 25, 2012, 03:03 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
29,078 Posts
Practically speaking, if you keep your Tx antenna oriented properly,use a
quality proven Rx (not the cheap single antenna park flier Rx that probably came with it),
filter your video Tx appropriately (low pass or notch filter on 1.2Ghz and 900Mhz),
decent separation, avoid flying behind your body, provide good Rx antenna orientation and do proper
low power range tests to eliminate other sources of noise, it's not unreasonable to expect about 1 mile of fairly
reliable range with 2.4Ghz control with a little margin over that. That said, if I had dollar for every time
someone around here complained that they lost control and crashed only 250 yards away because
they chose to ignore those guidelines, I'd be rich. More people have had
problems with Spectrum gear than any other, but that may be because they're the most
popular and also provide some of the cheapest unfilterd Rxs.

ian
Daemon is online now Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 25, 2012, 04:15 PM
Birmingham, Alabama
Joined Jun 2002
2,970 Posts
well put it this way.
every time someone says they've been a mile out on skeptrum everyone
1) congratulates them on the accomplishment
2) cringes
Toysrme is offline Find More Posts by Toysrme
Old Apr 25, 2012, 05:04 PM
United States, IA, Mason City
Joined Oct 2008
292 Posts
With all the gear we have on these planes, we want a reliable, trustable RC link. Spectrum will not provide this. One day you can fly 1 mile, the next failsafe at 2000ft on them. I have failsafed at as little as 500ft (with no vTX on the craft!).

Of course, I do still use them on occasion for FPV. Just..... park range ground FPV when I run out of better RXs :P
Acorns is offline Find More Posts by Acorns
Old Apr 25, 2012, 05:10 PM
fly by night
Joined Sep 2011
5,837 Posts
for sure, that is why I fly most of my FPV planes with Spektrum radios ... but those planes are only flown within a 250 yd radius, more or less (mini planes, aerobatic planes). I have 2 other planes with Dragonlink for going farther.
BCSaltchucker is offline Find More Posts by BCSaltchucker